Thread: When did your dd need deodorant?

Default When did your dd need deodorant?

Dear mamas,

How old were your DDs when you noticed they needed deodorant? It's not an overbearing smell or anything, but she def needs it. There have been a few times where I just catch a tiny whiff and figured maybe it was me lol. But today I actually checked and it's my baby. She will be 7 soon.

Any suggestions for organic deodorant? I really don't want all the chemicals and not interested in the antiperspirant either.

Why do they have to grow up? I can see she's quite excited though hehe. Oh and did you see a connection with an earlier af? Thanks.

Love,
    A freaked out mom

I can't remember exactly but I believe I started deodorant around 8 which is also when I started getting pubic hair. I did swim team and had to start shaving my legs and underarms around 10. I've had my period since I was 10.5 and I've had to wear a bra everyday since I was 11.

Me - Jess DH - Matt
    September 2013

My oldest was 11 or 12.
    Becky

my oldest was 7 or 8. We started with tom's deodorant because it was easy to find. She didnt start her period until a couple months before 12yrs old, so it necessarily a correlation. She did start to get breast buds aroun 8ish and at 10 i remember thinking she could start her period any day. My second dd seemed to "blossom" all at once, with just a few months from getting breasts until starting her period, which was right at 12, so only a month or 2 after the oldest, eventhough she developed so much later. The next one down is 10 and no signs of puberty in her what so ever.

My 8 yo dd could use it on certain days. She asked me one day if her armpits did stink and sure enough they did. I showed her where my deodorant is and how to put it on. Or told her she can try plain coconut oil if she likes. So far I don't think she is using it but she only gets odor after an especially hot day and when I have mentioned, she goes and showers.
    I have a recipe for the stuff I use if you'd like a recipe. Also could just use coconut oil with a bit of lemon essential oil, or tea tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    My 8 yo dd could use it on certain days. She asked me one day if her armpits did stink and sure enough they did. I showed her where my deodorant is and how to put it on. Or told her she can try plain coconut oil if she likes. So far I don't think she is using it but she only gets odor after an especially hot day and when I have mentioned, she goes and showers.
    I have a recipe for the stuff I use if you'd like a recipe. Also could just use coconut oil with a bit of lemon essential oil, or tea tree.
    This is my dd exactly. She only needs it on certain days. Particularly hot or active days.

Not there yet, but in 4th grade my teacher told the whole class to have our parents buy deodorant and I was 9 which IMO was sort of uncalled for but, after that I put on deodorant daily even though I didn't notice that I "needed" it until I was about 11 but I was paranoid after 4th grade. I didn't start until was 12 but, not sure if there is a connection to that.
    *** Lindsay ***

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Keira started wearing a lavender Tom's of Maine stick in kindergarten (yes...kindergarten). Through preschool she was in the "some days she needs it, some she doesn't" boat but by 5 it was daily. I make my own now with coconut oil, corn starch...baking soda maybe? and lavender and tea tree oil. She prefers that to any of the others I've bought. Scharae is 8 and just started in on smelling of BO every few days-usually after PE days at school. She has the option of using Keira's or not but doesn't very often. She's very sensitive to smells so I figure she'll smell herself when it becomes consistent so I'm not worrying about it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter