Thread: play kitchens

Default play kitchens

At what age did your children stop playing with their play kitchen? We are downsizing and I am trying to figure out what to bring. We put the kitchen away late last summer just to have the house be less cluttered while it was for sale, so the kids havent played with it for a while. But, I know when we go to the library, DS2 will play with their play kitchen and he will pretend to feed me play-do food. Not sure if it's worth packing up or selling.

We put ours outside last summer...the trio were 4 1/2 almost 5 and we noticed a huge decrease in how often they play with it. They are about to turn 6, it is still outside...they do play with it every now and then but if we weren't able to have it outside I would have gotten rid of it.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

My 6 year old rarely plays with it; not worth keeping it for him. My 4 year old still plays occasionally - we are getting rid of it next year. We have a pretty large designated play room; if we did not have that much space for toys I would have gotten rid of it.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

My 7yo plays with it but I am not sure she would if her sisters didn't still. My 5yo still does but not too often. They all kind of do it occasionally but I like that it's there for them even though it takes up more space than I would like...
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Dh and I just had this talk yesterday! Noe is 4.5 and she doesn't play with the kitchen as much as she used to. Dh suggested getting rid of it, but I think I'd like to wait a little while longer just to give her the option. If she continues not to play with it much for the next 6 months or so, it might be time for it to find a new home.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

ha, I still used mine as a teenager because I was babysitting so much at my house. Plus my sister is 5 years younger and we played house for YEARS.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My 4.5 yr old ds doesn't play with it much but my 2 yr old dd still loves it.

Our play kitchen rarely gets used. I saved it for my now 3 yo ds but he is more interested in pretending to be a ninja or harry potter like his older siblings than pretend cooking.
    I'm not ready to let go of it yet, though.

I'll probably pack it. I bet when it becomes unpacked, they will play a lot with it since it will be like a brand new toy!

Blog Entries

We moved ours outside last year as well because it wasn't getting used much and we needed the space. I think ages 2-3 is optimal, at least in our house.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)