Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Americans still more likely to vote for adulterers than atheists

  1. #1

    Default Americans still more likely to vote for adulterers than atheists

    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09


  2. #2

    Default

    I think everyone mis-read everything Or I typed it out the wrong way
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 05-22-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    *** Lindsay ***



  3. #3

    Default

    Obviously, as a nonreligious person, I agree with you that atheists/nontheists are well suited to public office because they will have fewer issues with keeping church & state separate. I just think it's interesting, and odd, and kind of sad that people have come a long way in terms of being willing to vote for women, and gays, and adulterers -- but don't believe in God? Not suited for government! Really? I don't get it, but I think it's likely that people still have this (mistaken) belief that without religion, people cannot be ethical or moral. You would think that the myriad scandals in the church and in politics already among "faithful" churchgoing leaders would have been enough to convince voters.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09


  4. #4

    Default

    I think you are right, in that people view "godless" as having no moral standards. Which is obviously completely inaccurate, as are most stereotypes.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Obviously, as a nonreligious person, I agree with you that atheists/nontheists are well suited to public office because they will have fewer issues with keeping church & state separate. I just think it's interesting, and odd, and kind of sad that people have come a long way in terms of being willing to vote for women, and gays, and adulterers -- but don't believe in God? Not suited for government! Really? I don't get it, but I think it's likely that people still have this (mistaken) belief that without religion, people cannot be ethical or moral. You would think that the myriad scandals in the church and in politics already among "faithful" churchgoing leaders would have been enough to convince voters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I think you are right, in that people view "godless" as having no moral standards. Which is obviously completely inaccurate, as are most stereotypes.
    I deleted my comment because I might have typed everything out in the wrong way with confusing you all. I do apologize I never said non-religious folks don't have morals. If my comment came across that way I do apologize greatly to both of you. I am not a Christian nor religious but, I have some beliefs of being "spiritual". I might have been in a hurry to type so I may not have proof read.
    *** Lindsay ***



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In a van, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    Posts
    8,435

    Default

    Coming from someone who does not live there anymore, it does seem that Americans are very frightened by someone who doesn't believe in a higher power. It's like this dark unknown and people just think you are weird or militant, which most of us aren't! (Well, maybe weird but not militant). It was funny because the British prime minister made some remark about God the other day and all the news channels and papers were like, "who does he think he is bringing God in to politics?"

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    I deleted my comment because I might have typed everything out in the wrong way with confusing you all. I do apologize I never said non-religious folks don't have morals. If my comment came across that way I do apologize greatly to both of you. I am not a Christian nor religious but, I have some beliefs of being "spiritual". I might have been in a hurry to type so I may not have proof read.
    Not at ALL. Not at all. I really was just generally speaking. I think you feel similar to what I was saying. At least that is the vibe I got from your post. No apology necessary.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Not at ALL. Not at all. I really was just generally speaking. I think you feel similar to what I was saying. At least that is the vibe I got from your post. No apology necessary.
    I was so confused I thought you all were mad at me.
    *** Lindsay ***



  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    I was so confused I thought you all were mad at me.
    No way. I like seeing you in this room!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    No way. I like seeing you in this room!
    OK cool
    *** Lindsay ***



  11. #11

    Default

    I just think maybe sometimes when it comes to knowing the candidate because of the prejudices maybe they shouldn't comment on religious views either way but, then
    I don't know if that will help for sure or happen.
    *** Lindsay ***



  12. #12

    Default

    Well, there are so many adulterers in politics that it's nearly impossible not to vote for one. ;) Far fewer atheists.

    Really, though. It's not surprising. I've only recently begun to feel comfortable describing myself as an atheist, and I'm cautious about who I use that label with because people really don't understand that doesn't make me some sort of devil.



  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mla View Post
    Well, there are so many adulterers in politics that it's nearly impossible not to vote for one. ;) Far fewer atheists.

    Really, though. It's not surprising. I've only recently begun to feel comfortable describing myself as an atheist, and I'm cautious about who I use that label with because people really don't understand that doesn't make me some sort of devil.
    I wish it was not like that. I really love the Morgan Spurlock 30 days its on Netflix and one talks about this very subject a mom of two that's an Atheist and a mom who is a Christian switch lives its really interesting though I forgot what happens at the end. Life would be so much easier if people could get along. I know I am stating the obvious though.
    *** Lindsay ***



  14. #14
    3andMe's Avatar
    3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,510

    Default

    I read that article while I was brushing my teeth, and got all distracted by the Game of Thrones hot guys links and didn't respond. I agree, it is hard for me to fathom why atheists come far behind anyone else in the polls of who would be trusted in politics. Especially when you figure if they are admitting to that, they're probably being honest about a lot.


  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I read that article while I was brushing my teeth, and got all distracted by the Game of Thrones hot guys links and didn't respond. I agree, it is hard for me to fathom why atheists come far behind anyone else in the polls of who would be trusted in politics. Especially when you figure if they are admitting to that, they're probably being honest about a lot.
    ^ Excellent point Lydia! I think its hard to "come out" as an Atheist in general depending on the geographic location. I appreciate what some church
    organizations have done like the Catholics for Habitat our sponsor and they were really friendly folks. In general I am so confused about "where I belong"
    I feel like I am not a Christian nor Atheist rather I am spiritual as in I believe in the afterlife (of some ghostly spirits) but, the Heaven and Hell thing I think can be on Earth. I am digging around. Anyways I think for sure especially a politician it would be really hard to admit that. We need more blunt people like Penn Juliette,
    *** Lindsay ***



  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Not at ALL. Not at all. I really was just generally speaking. I think you feel similar to what I was saying. At least that is the vibe I got from your post. No apology necessary.
    Sorry I totally forgot to come back to this conversation - but this ^^
    I got the agreement vibe too. No apology necessary.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09


  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    Sorry I totally forgot to come back to this conversation - but this ^^
    I got the agreement vibe too. No apology necessary.
    OK cool!
    *** Lindsay ***



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •