Thread: High back booster

Default High back booster

It's time for us to transition DD. She's 38 pounds and at least 38". Would you use the harness on the car seat or the car's seat belt?

Does anyone have one that you just love?

Thanks

i would use the 5pt harness until she's too big, for a lot of car seats that is 65+lbs. I like our Graco nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    i would use the 5pt harness until she's too big, for a lot of car seats that is 65+lbs. I like our Graco nautilus.
    I agree with this. The harness is much safer.
    We have a Britax Frontier 85 and love it. The newer version is the 90 and your child can use the harness up to 90 lbs & 58", and then as a booster with seat belt up to 120 lbs & 62".

How old is she?

Quote Originally Posted by martiniqus View Post
    How old is she?
    She is 4 years old.

Blog Entries

I would also use a 5 pt harness until she outgrows it (weight or height). We bought a Recaro and my DD (4.5) will probably still be in the 5 pt harness for a long while still.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

i guess i don't fit in...i'd move her to a high back booster with the car's seatbelt...which is what i did for my girls when they were 4! They fit the booster with the seatbelt appropriately and were perfectly safe

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

Quote Originally Posted by sookie4415 View Post
    i guess i don't fit in...i'd move her to a high back booster with the car's seatbelt...which is what i did for my girls when they were 4! They fit the booster with the seatbelt appropriately and were perfectly safe
    I think I am with you. My DD is about 38" but she is only 30 lbs, so she is still so far from the weight minimum so I will be keeping her in a harness for a while longer. But if she was close to the weight limit like yours, I would either wait a couple more months and let her "bulk up" a bit more (lol) or I would just go ahead and move her to the seat belt. As I am looking, the seats with harnesses are much more expensive and seem a lot bigger than those that are true boosters. I would have a hard time justifying buying an expensive seat just to get a few months out of the harness and then switching it to be like the much cheaper models. At the rate DD is going, she will be 8 before she reaches 40 lbs so for us we will get our money's worth out of a booster with a 5 pt harness!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I didn't go by weight. My DS was almost 5 before a high back booster fit him correct. It's about belt positioning and if your child can sit still and upright in the belt. Even so I still use a high back booster with the additional strap in the middle between the legs to prevent "submarining" under the belt in an accident. http://www.target.com/p/britax-parkw...FWkQ7Aod3AMAIA

I plan to use a high back booster for a while. I know many 5 years olds in just regular boosters without the back and I don't see the belts fitting properly.

She has reallly good info on boosters!!!

http://thecarseatlady.com/category/booster-seats/
    Last edited by pants; 05-19-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Brenda

My daughter was in a 5 point harness (Cosco scerena) until the 2nd week of kindergarten and they had to unbuckle and get out of the car themselves. I wasn't even comfortable moving her out of the 5 point but I realized I had to (she was over 40 lbs and over 40 inches). We then moved her to a graco highback. We like it but I do feel like it less secure.

We have a 5-pt britax booster. It's basically a larger car seat for kids over 40lbs. Goes to 70, I think. Head protection, side protection, same belt, easier install, though, on the newer models.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 05-20-2014 at 01:45 AM.