Thread: Colic

Default Colic

So I'm pretty sure Porter is colicky. For the last week around 7:30-8pm he cries and doesn't stop until 11:30 or midnight. He will nurse during those times but sometimes unlatches to cry. He acts irritable but not gassy. I'm hoping it doesn't last long. I've never had a colicky baby.

I'm also pretty sure he's going through a growth spurt constant nursing the last 2 days. He is 1 month tomorrow I can't even believe it. Time seriously goes to fast!

Sounds like he is gearing up for the 5th week developmental leap.

http://www.amazon.com/stimulate-deve...lopmental+Leap

http://www.thewonderweeks.com/mental-leap-1/
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I hope it doesn't last long either. Have you tried gripe water? My pediatrician recommended it and they have one for colic.

Poor little man! Burp him frequently, may be try during the feeling. Also see so he latches well and doesn't gulp in too much air while nursing. How's Your First letdown ? Does the milk come too fast?
    Another thing which always helped.me with my babies is hold them bare tummy to my skin or put a warm sheet in between us. And massaging the tummy in circular motion very slowly, few rounds, every half hour or so, clockwise. It helps with wind and colic.
    If you can - wear him in a snuggled way during those hours. My dd2 had colic and reflux and it helped a lot to have her in moby on me just in diaper or a light onsie.
    Hugs, hope it goes away soon!!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I second the moby wrap or something similar....there are no buckles so it's comfy if you relax on the couch (probably not much relaxing with crying but hey never know). All my kids struggled with fussiness at night, which was hardest on me because it is the most exhausting time. I don't think they were ever classified as colic though. My sisters 4th baby had colic and all I can say is holy, no one ever wanted to be around that baby girl. I am speaking literally...every single waking moment for that baby was some type of crying ( high or low pitch) there was no soothing. I truly hope this is not the case for you! If the crying is truly excessive, I would put in a call to the pediatrician or talk about it at his next well baby check. (Mainly just to be sure the crying isn't being caused by a factor that cannot be seen). I hope it gets better!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Thanks ladies. My other 2 never did this. I have a moby but I rarely use it. I'll have to break it out and give it a try. The last 2 days night time has been fine and it's been during the day. He doesn't cry constant. He won't take a pacifier so he constantly wants to nurse. He also just started spitting up more even when I burp him so now I'm wondering about reflux. He has a pedi appt June 17th if things don't get a bit better before then I'll call and get him in sooner that's just when his 2 month appt is.

Sorry to hear he is spitting up. If it is more than 1 tablespoon; and especially 1 hour or more after nursing, it might be. Though with my 2nd she didn't spit much but had bad reflux and wouldo only sleep in Moby during the day.
    Could it be something you are eating/drinking? Some dyes and some byproducts from food can pass to babies. Glad to hear he's been better though. Hugs

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    Sorry to hear he is spitting up. If it is more than 1 tablespoon; and especially 1 hour or more after nursing, it might be. Though with my 2nd she didn't spit much but had bad reflux and wouldo only sleep in Moby during the day.
    Could it be something you are eating/drinking? Some dyes and some byproducts from food can pass to babies. Glad to hear he's been better though. Hugs
    I was going to answer your other questions you asked. I honestly don't know how my let down is. I'm not pumping. I tried to yesterday 20 mins after he ate bug I only got an ounce. Yes he does spit up an hour of so after he's ate. I'm not sure if it's something I'm eating. I wouldn't know what to eliminate or off how long before I knew if it was that or not. He's only sleeping good if he's in my arms or laying right next to me. Last night he slept from midnight until 4:30 but he has to be right next to me.

Sleeping patterns and the need to be close to you could be natural and developmental.
    If it is an ounce from the breast you just have it is OK. Me and he us emptying your breast pretty well.
    As for letdown, if it is too strong you'll hear him gulping and choking when he just starts nursing.
    Hope he is over the colic soon. Poor bug.

Oh and if he gets colicky again just think what different you ate from the day before. If few days in a row - what was it one or 2 things you ate consistently on those days.

I'm so sorry to hear about your LO's colic. My nephew (also named Porter) had a really hard time with colic as well. My SIL wound up going dairy free to alter her milk - it really helped with his spitting up/gas and he became way more comfortable. He still had some colic symptoms, but it was improved. Sometimes if you make changes your diet it can work wonders for colic and other IBS (irritable baby symptoms) Good Luck!
    [/URL]

I wish I had some advice for you. I have heard the most common dietary trigger has been dairy, and when some of my mom friends that have had this problem cut all dairy it improved. Big hugs to you and Porter

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

He does sometimes gulps when I have a let down but does not choke. I've been reading "Happiest Baby on the Block". I have had the book for a long time and decided to give it a go. From what I'm reading changing my diet will more than likely not work. I'll let you know if his method works from the book.

My husband just read the happiest baby on the block and he told me the same thing about diet not being related to colic! Of course that was after I posted on here. I should be reading that next, it sounds interesting and helpful. Keep us posted.

Awww, how sweet is it that your DH is reading baby books?? I couldn't get mine to read a baby article. ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    Awww, how sweet is it that your DH is reading baby books?? I couldn't get mine to read a baby article. ;)
    I ordered it for myself, but when it arrived in the mail he immediately strated reading it! I was happily surprised and asked him to give me the cliff notes when he was done lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Melturtleluv View Post
    My husband just read the happiest baby on the block and he told me the same thing about diet not being related to colic! Of course that was after I posted on here. I should be reading that next, it sounds interesting and helpful. Keep us posted.
    My dh has started reading if also lol. He actually started before I did but when he was at work yesterday I read past his place. He's now caught up to me because he started reading it again after he got home. I also have happiest toddler on the block I think I'll read afterwards since I have a 2 year old also lol.

Oh and last night was good he hardly cried! I'm hoping tonight is the same way.

Glad to hear last night went better! Though Elek doesn't have colic, he has been a little guzzler when it comes to eating lately. I think it is a growth spurt. Because of eating so fast he spits up more often. He is also crying louder and more persistently. So maybe your LO is just going through a lot of changes and this will pass soon enough.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

My long reply disappeared! In short: while it is true and there is no direct link between your diet and colic, because baby's digestive system is still so fragile and sensitive sometimes they temporarily react to byproducts of food we eat (cow milk protein, soy protein, egg proteI , some spices, eggs, caffeine and more). Great that he is better. But if starts getting worse then try eliminating stuff

So glad porter is getting better! Break out that moby momma, I absolutely used it the most with #3 (and I still use it a few times a month!) you mentioned in a previous post that porter sleeps better in your arms or next to you in bed! You are all he knows, it's an amazing thing! Comfort level!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks