Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight Gain in LO

Blog Entries

I do agree that you should cross some things off the list of possibilities. Are you personally still having issues eating anything (I think that was you)?

And you are in no way failing as a mother. Solely breastfeeding does not make you a better mother in any way. You love your son and clearly want to do what is best for him.

As for your mom, if telling her any of this will make her criticize you don't share it.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

I agree, I wouldn't share so much with your mother if she's not going to be supportive.

Also, supplementing isn't the end of your breastfeeding relationship by any means. Even if you do have to supplement a bottle a day. I would conduct a little experiment and have your sitter give him a fully formula bottle during the day (instead of your pumped BM) ... see if he takes more of it than a BM bottle and see if it makes any difference in his weight. And/or you could also use your BM as the "water" base for a formula bottle (maybe, I don't know if there are any drawbacks to that or not so I'd research it) that way he's still getting all the good stuff from you and some extra from the formula.

You're entitled to feeling low and bad about the situation, but please don't let yourself stay in that place for too long! You've got this!! You CAN successfully breastfeed and supplement. But if you don't believe in yourself, you won't have success.

Obviously we'll do anything for our babies, but I'd hate to waste 2oz of formula after every feeding just to see if he'll take more from the bottle. He's clearly telling you no to that already.

Also, along the lines of having your sitter give the formula ... who is Sean refusing the formula bottle from? If it's you, it make sense that he's just like "uh, no thanks for the inferior stuff, Mom." I've already read it is best to have someone else offer the bottle.
    Last edited by khadijavye; 05-19-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

if he is satisfied from the breast and refusing a bottle after you have nursed him then YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. period. he is completely satisfied with what you have to offer. ( my son would nurse actively and then down a 4 oz bottle.. i felt like a failure.)
    talk to a lactation consultant and find out what you can eat to help your son gain, see if there is a La Leche League that meets in your area, they can offer tons of support and help you.

and tell you un-supporting mother to shut it and that its not her baby so its not her say and that if she can't say something supportive and nice to not say anything at all.

First off, his weight gain is OK. 1-2lbs a month is the expected average, and he's in there. On the low side yes, but still fine. What was his head and length? also small? or is he growing in head and length but not weight/ That makes a huge difference in determining whether this is a smallbaby issue or a weight gain issue.

I dont think there is any science behind mothers diet and poor weight gain in breasdtfeeding as long as amount of supply isnt the issue. if you werent getting enough calories your supply would drop.

If you have tried offering a bottle after feeds and he has refused them, there really isnt anything you can do. I would not force feed him. He should be eating 8-12x/day. So you could try to increase daytime feeds before before waking him at night. Try feeding every 2hrs. And then maybe one more feed after he goes to bed, but before you do. if he goes down at 8 and you go to bed at 10, see if you can get him to nurse then. If you can't get him to increase feeds and do need to wake at night, i wouldnt wake him every 3hrs, maybe 5.

I also wouldnt tell your mother, just tell her he gained within the low end of the normal rangeh.

here are some websites you can point her to if necessary
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...ding-baby-gain

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

Thank you ladies, I will try to answer all questions I can.

JJorn, Yes I was very sick for 4wks and unable to eat, I was only having gatorade and white rice for those 4wks before I was able to start eating again. I resumed eating normally just a few days after his one month appt and he was 8lbs 6oz.

Dorcas: DH and I have both have tried bottle feeding him, during the day when I am at work he eats 3-4oz at 9:30, 1, 3 from a bottle of BM and he suckles it right down, I have fed him a bottle of BM if his 3pm feeding makes it to 4:30 when I come home from work and I have fed him and pumped what I had in me. He takes the bottle fine during the day but if I BF and then offer the bottle it's pretty obvious he doesn't want it and gets upset if I insist.

I want to do both, I want Sean to get the best he can and if I have to FF and BF I will and I am going to try. When I got home today DH is pretty sure the doc wants us to only feed him FF every other BF. So he got a bottle of BM at 4 today, I can home and pumped then gave him 2oz of FF at 5:30 and he was not interested but took it. Once he tasted it he cried and spit the nipple out several times and did not want to latch. After awhile he nursed but then after 1oz he paused and I sat him up to burp and he spit it all up. So I waited 20mins and tried the last oz and he took it but again, spit it up after and now seems cranky and upset, that is not like him. When I BF he is so content and is usually awake playing with his feet and cooing. He is telling me he hates it, he doesn't like the taste of it at all.

Froggie: We don't have a LLL around here, I live in the middle of no where in the country, I'd have to travel 2hrs away to go and simply don't have the time or ability. I will look into for fat containing foods to help make my milk more fatty though.

Runningmom: He grew a half inch in head and length.

I am going to try and get my mother to understand how I feel and that this is what I am going to do, nothing she can do will change that. It's just been a tough day and my little man is already not happy but maybe it's due to the shots. Breaks my heart.

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

i don't agree with your dr. if hes refusing the formula then forget it. up your supply, feed him more often. and have bm to store in the freezer.
    my dh has problem gaining weight and its due to food allergies. this could be your lil guys problem too.
    i am sure other mommas who bf can help me out here but dairy is one food that i know of that bf moms have had to cut while bfing to help their babies
    kelly mom.com is a great resource for the bfing momma.

i did suppliment my firstborn with formula.. but he was not gaining, had jaundice, and i had a low supply (could only pump 1 ounce at a time) and when he got done nursing he would down a 4 oz bottle without fighting it. so i am not against formula. i am against forcing baby to take it.. i do agree with the dr about testing to rule other health issues that interfere with weight gain.

hang in there momma. this is a bump in the road but you will make it thru

I am so worried now, Waiting for a call back from the doctor. Sean is spitting up most, if not all his BM and FF. We tried BFing only and stopping the formula this morning and he spit up my milk. I sent him to the babysitters because he was acting like himself, just spitty but she is texting me that he is still spitting up most of his BM and Formula and now he feels warm like he has a fever. I have already called the doc and she said the fever sounded normal and to give tylenol, but she had to ask about the spitting up. I am worried about dehydration.

03/22/13

Blog Entries

He might have a dairy sensitivity. He was fine before adding the formula, right? Immunizations can really mess things up for a few days, too, though.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    He might have a dairy sensitivity. He was fine before adding the formula, right? Immunizations can really mess things up for a few days, too, though.
    I agree, it might take a couple days for the formula to get out of his system if it was bothering him. Its also possible he picked up a virus while at the Dr. Keep offering breastmilk, even if he keeps a little down it is very absorbable and should keep him from dehydration. Just watch for wet diapers, and that he's still acting alert and normal.

He took 3oz at 1:45 and then 4 oz at 4 and although he was super sleepy at his babysitter's, he is awake and cooing and smiling at home. He was nursed at 6 and although he spit up, he spit up his normal amount and is continuing to be awake, cooing and smiling. He is a little fussy and as soon as I am out of his view he fusses but as soon as I am back he is content to sit and play with his feet and ears. So I am not giving him formula tomorrow, I want his little boy to re-coop from the shots. I think it was too many changes at once and he couldn't tolerate it. So Thursday my DH is home from work and he can monitor Sean closer and he will be home in his own environment and maybe more relaxed and we can try again with the formula. If things go out of control again we will switch to a soy based formula and see if that helps too. I will be nursing him again at 8 and then 10, I want to nurse every 2hrs to help make sure he is getting enough now and then let him sleep from 10-2 if all goes well tonight. FX!!

03/22/13

honestly i would bag the formula for now. increase his feedings, wake him once during thenight and see how it goes.