Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gain in LO

Hybrid View

Default Weight Gain in LO

Sean had his 1 month appt 4wks ago and weighed 8lb 6oz, he weighed 7lb 13oz at birth. I am worried he isn't gaining enough weight. He was 21inches long at his birth, 19inchs at his 2wk appt and then 21 inches at his one month appt. His 2 month appt is coming up and when I weigh him at home on our scale he is roughly 9lbs... That doesn't seem like enough to me. He was in the 25 percentile at his one month. His next appt is Monday the 19th. The doc mentioned supplementing him a bottle a day of formula is he hasn't gained much by 2mos. If I do this, does anyone have suggestions on how much and what kind to give him? Does his weight sound okay? I'm so nervous about it!!

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

Also, he doesn't seem to be pooping alot, he is EBF and I heard sometimes they go longer between poops. This time it was 5 days, last time it was 4, before that it was 3... is this normal? We called the doc when he went 3 days and he said we could give him 1 oz of apple juice 2x a day until he poops, which we have been doing.
    Last edited by coelh102; 05-15-2014 at 12:00 PM.

03/22/13

I breastfed with Sophia for 3 months and the poop thing is normal but, can be sort of frustrating because she seemed to be uncomfortable at times. Have you seen BM improvements since you've started the juice? Every baby is different when it comes to weight gain and breastfed our doctor told us as long as they can something if he doesn't seems like he is going to be a big baby. Is he about the same % for weight and height or close to it? I would try not to worry right now it seems like he is growing well. He might just be on the smaller side for his age but, I think he should be fine. I am no expert though so its an opinion.
    *** Lindsay ***

Dorcas, our posts overlapped but the Ped didn't push it on us he just mentioned it in passing with a shurg that if we get too worried we could supplement a bottle a day with formula but he didn't seem overly worried. As long as he stayed above 5%.

03/22/13

Quote Originally Posted by coelh102 View Post
    Dorcas, our posts overlapped but the Ped didn't push it on us he just mentioned it in passing with a shurg that if we get too worried we could supplement a bottle a day with formula but he didn't seem overly worried. As long as he stayed above 5%.
    Okay, great! Glad to hear it!

Having a baby scale in the house was the WORST move I made with DS2. Made me paranoid about his weight from 3 months on!!
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Cait, all of that sounds normal. I don't like the idea of Peds pushing formula on babies for "failure to thrive" this soon. Your LO may just be a peanut.

DS1 has always been upwards of 75th percentile for growth and height whereas DS2 hoovered around 10th for weight and 30% for height for a LONG time. These days he's between the 25th and 50th percentiles for weight and 62nd for height. :shrug:

They say that your baby should stay on THEIR curve ... and at 2 months it's just too soon to say what his curve is, ya know? If he significantly drops from the 25th percentile at this next visit, it may be a concern for the Ped.

I like this chart/calculator for keeping up with the growth and where they fall on the chart: http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefu...ercentiles.htm
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

For the poop he started at 3 days, we started the juice and then he went poop, but then it was 4 days before he pooped and we started giving him juice on the second day, then after he pooped that time it is now on day 5 and he just pooped and we started the juice on day 2.

For the weight, he is 50% for height and head size but 25% for weight. He doesn't seem uncomfortable at all until after we give him the juice for about an hour after he drinks the oz he farts like crazy and it upsets him and I think some of his farts actually scare him but I can tell he is crampy after he has the juice for about an hour or so and then he is fine but no poop.

03/22/13

For the poop he started at 3 days, we started the juice and then he went poop, but then it was 4 days before he pooped and we started giving him juice on the second day, then after he pooped that time it is now on day 5 and he just pooped and we started the juice on day 2.

For the weight, he is 50% for height and head size but 25% for weight. He doesn't seem uncomfortable at all until after we give him the juice for about an hour after he drinks the oz he farts like crazy and it upsets him and I think some of his farts actually scare him but I can tell he is crampy after he has the juice for about an hour or so and then he is fine but no poop.
    That isn't a huge ratio difference I think at one point and time Cody was about that same ratio now he is closer to 50%-50%. I would call the pediatrician to see if they are OK with you stopping the juice if he is starting to have more gas and upset stomach.
    *** Lindsay ***

I dunno, Cait. I worry that your pediatrician might be an old-school formula pusher. With the giving juice for pooping and already suggesting you may have to supplement. Certainly, those things DO sometimes happen, but it just makes me uncomfortable and like you're headed into a situation where someone is trying to push you into FF.

I just want to caution that I'd rather see you doubt your pediatrician before you doubt your ability to supply your baby nutrients via breastmilk.

That said, I did have to supplement with formula briefly with DS1 and our breastfeeding relationship wasn't the worse for it. ;)
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

i would stop the juice. its making him uncomfortable and not giving him anything but a full tummy of gas.
    his weight is fine.period. if he were to drop below 5% then you would need to re-evaluate.
    Kelly mom.com is an awesome website for breast feeding mommas to get good research advice regarding breastfed baby poop and other helpful advice.
    i agree with the pp that said your pedi is a ff pusher. my pedi didn't say a word about it till ds was below 5th % at 2 wks and she wanted me to suppliment with ff till we were established with bfing and then stop the ff.

both my kids were born in the 50th% and dropped to about 20th% and ds dropped below the 10th% (when he was 2wks and again at 12 mos) they both kept the 50th% for the head and height. both are totally fine and normal kids now so i know that they didn't starve.

for the pooping. breast milk is easier to fully digest therefore not leaving anything to waste. meaning no poop. this is totally normal. unless baby is straining to go, seems uncomfortable or has a rock hard tummy i wouldn't worry about it. just make sure that baby has enough wet diapers.
    formula has the potential to constipate a bf baby. so remember this for when baby is having a hard time after formula has been fed to him.

i think your doing great and keep up the good work!

Also, what's with the adding rice to his bottle? Everyone keeps pushing that on me, not the doc but aunts, mom, mil. I don't understand the benefits and haven't heard any benefits worth me adding it to his diet. Anyone else? Is this done anymore? What does it do?

03/22/13

Also, what's with the adding rice to his bottle? Everyone keeps pushing that on me, not the doc but aunts, mom, mil. I don't understand the benefits and haven't heard any benefits worth me adding it to his diet. Anyone else? Is this done anymore? What does it do?
    My pedi recommended this to us when DD was 4 months old because she was constantly spitting up and the rice cereal was supposed to help settle her stomach. Instead of putting it in her bottle, I would give her a few spoonfuls twice a day. She has always been right around the 5th %tile for weight and was spitting up all the time, so it made sense for us at that time. She was also strictly formula fed, so supplementing with formula wasn't an option And he also told us to wait until she was 4 months old before advising us to go with the rice cereal.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Thanks ladies, I didn't think he was pushing the formula too bad but I will see how he is Monday and if he pushes for it too hard then I will fight back. I want to EBF Sean, no doubt in my mind about it, I just second guess my milk and worry it's not good enough or healthy enough for him. He also poops ALOT when he goes and it's mustardy brown with a cottage cheese/foam consistency. I will check out Kellymom.com too and do more research I guess.

As for the wet diapers, I'd say on avg every 2-3hrs I am changing his diaper and it's loaded with pee and heavy. He is still in newborn diapers and some newborn clothes too but the clothes are getting too short, not too tight around the belly. I will ask the babysitter when I get home but I haven't seen him strain to poop but I have seen him crinkle up his face and go red from gas. I will mention this to the doc as well, it's hard to convince DH as well that the juice isn't the best thing, I fought that for a bit with him when it first started happening but DH won that time. DH is on my side about EBF Sean though and supports my decisions.

It's comforting to hear others that are having the same worries and are fine because I am going batty here!

03/22/13

Blog Entries

Our parent's generation and above all seem to advocate rice in the bottle. That is what they did to make babies supposedly sleep through the night. There is absolutely no reason to add the rice (and true safety concerns) unless medically told to do so for a sound medical reason - like severe reflux, etc.

I wouldn't pre worry about his weight. Home scales aren't very good. The fact that he is growing out of his clothes is a good sign.

My first was a slow gainer and the doctor wasn't concerned. I had a fabulous doctor, though. She said that as long as the numbers always went up and milestones were met not to worry. I want to say that she dropped from about 50% for weight at birth all the way down to less than 3% at twelve months. She gained and grew like mad after that and was up to 40% by 15 months.

My third baby, however, only gained 9 oz in two months which was definitely an issue. The doctor did not mention supplementation at all to me, though. My baby had a known medical issue (GERD) and changing his medication immediately changed his gaining issue.

I also would stop the juice. He doesn't need it. All of my kids have gone regularly 7 days without pooping before the introduction of solids. If he isn't straining to go and his belly isn't hard then he is 100% fine. Getting a red face and pushing is not straining.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

I might get flamed for this but, don't do rice cereal in the bottle if you have WIC they would say h### no! Its a choking hazard don't do it. He isn't ready for solids yet anyway. I know they can have it around 4-6 months via spoon but, not by bottle.
    *** Lindsay ***

Just remember that it's super easy to tell people that you're doing whatever it is that they want you to be doing versus getting in a fight with them over it. ;) I might be more cautious about condoning it to someone who might possibly watch my baby (mom, mil) and do it themselves thinking that you're okay with it, though.

People can get so upset about this kind of stuff "what do you meant it's not good for the baby, I did it with you and you turned out JUST FINE!" At the end of the day you are the one raising Sean and making the decisions about his life. They had their turn, it's yours now.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Thanks ladies, I don't feel like I am for rice cereal at this age honestly. I keep ignoring it when my mom brings it up, I see no nutritional value to it, Sean sleeps through the night lately and if he wants milk every hour throughout the night... then he gets milk every hour throughout the night! He needs to gain some weight or maintain it so I just don't think the rice cereal would help that. Sean ended his 5 day no poop strike today and the babysitter said it was ALOT and when I got him home tonight, he had gone again and it blew out his diaper on the sides! Never been so excited to see poop! I am feeling much better about the whole situation now tho

03/22/13

I'm not with the others here, babies should be gaining 1/2- 1 ounce a day on average. So from the numbers you posted, your little one is not getting enough to eat it seems... You may want to go in and get another accurate weight, and if there is an issue discuss options with your ped. You could take fenugreek to increase your supply, or you could offer a bottle after each daytime feeding to see if he is still hungry after nursing. That way he gets all the milk you have and doesn't get too attached to the bottle and get nipple confusion. But really, you should be getting advice on this from his doctor, not some random people on a message board!

Well when I pump at work I get 3-5oz on one side and 1oz on the other, So I think my supply is good and when I am home and feed Sean anytime he wants to and I feed him until he falls asleep and I usually try to switch sides and he is disinterested because he is sleeping. If he was still hungry wouldn't he be fussy? Sometimes he wakes up and is content to play with his feet and doesn't show any signs of hunger. I will be seeing the Ped Monday though and was simply getting advice, I'm sorry. Your right I should go to the doctor, but he didn't seem worried either but again, I will see him Monday. I also weighed him tonight with me holding him and then with just me... there was a 10lb difference. I am also going to go measure him now for length to see if he is longer as well. Again, I am sorry I was just trying to get advice until I saw the Ped on Monday.

Also want to add when I am at work I leave 3 4oz bottles for whoever watches him and he drinks 3oz and then doesn't want the rest, and if you keep trying and trying he will take it but spits up, if he eats 3ozs then we get little to no spit up. He eats from me at 630 then he eats at 930, 1, 3 from the bottle, then I am home and feed him around 6,8,930 and he goes out cold and sleeps through the night.
    Last edited by coelh102; 05-15-2014 at 06:15 PM.

03/22/13

I agree with the .5-1oz day guideline, but i would wait and see what his actual weight is before worrying. 15oz is what he should gain, so he should be around 9lbs 5oz, and its possible that is where he is with the variance of scales and all.

I personally would not give the juice, as it does cause gas an tummy pain. its also filling his tummy with "empty calories"-just plain sugar. I have read some stuff recently from a midwife/natropath who believes babies who go more than a day between poops have a gut flora problem and should get a probiotic. I would try that before juice.

I dont see how giving formula feed would make him gain more than an extra nursing. If you are worried he's still hungry after nursing you could give a bottle of previously pumped milk, it would serve the same purpose as a bottle of formula.

I didn't read everything but I recommend going to a certified lactation consultant (not all are certified or claim they are knowledgeable when they aren't) or to a hospital bfing support group to do what is called a weighted feed. It will give you an idea of how much he is transferring at each feed.

I think giving him the formula was to help him get chunky.

03/22/13

Cait! Thinking of you...I know it's stressful when we've got peanut-sized little ones, just hard not to worry for sure .

I have had some small babies who were considered "failure to thrive" because of size and slow weight gain, but were healthy, and I've had babies who were truly failure to thrive because of reflux or insufficient milk supply.

What I have noticed with my truly failure to thrive babies was very few wet diapers, sleeping very long stretches of time OR hardly at all, didn't seem satisfied while nursing and would pull away crying almost frantically, sunken fontanel, and gradually dropped below 2% for weight despite normal height regardless of birth weight.

My small babies were content during and after nursing, normal amount of wet diapers, typical sleeping habits, seemed healthy and happy overall, and had a low percentile for weight and height despite "falling off their curve" but were proportional.

Anyway, just sharing my experience .

Oh and after a month old a number of my babies went 5-7 days without pooping...my pedi said it was normal and no reason for concern as long as they're having wet diapers. They were usually fussy for a day or two before their big blow-out. Size didn't matter...some were super chunky and others were on the smaller side.

I hope you get some reassurance at your appt on Monday !!!!!!!!

BTW...He is just sooooo adorable!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Thanks Kelly! I fed Sean this morning and then offered a bottle and he pursed his lips and looked away. Then I just fed him again and offered another bottle and he did the same thing. I also pumped 5oz off my left breast this morning while he ate off the right one. We have stopped offering him apple juice as well for now until we talk to the doctor on Monday. Everyone I have talked to says it's perfectly fine for him to not be pooping that much, he last pooped on Thursday but it was a lot at once and he seems very comfortable. I mentioned it to a doctor at my work and he said breastfed babies only poop every 4-7days and that his own children went poop almost every 5 days on the dot. I weighed Sean again yesterday and the scale said 10lb 3oz. If that is correct I would be ecstatic!! But that is with me weighing myself and then me holding him so it's not accurate but it is twice that I have gotten about 10lbs on the scale.

Tracking his pee diapers yesterday he was having a full diaper every 2-3hrs, he doesn't seem dehydrated to me and he is very bright and alert and never upset at the breast. I usually nurse him before he starts to even cry by watching his nursing cues but if I miss them and he does get upset then he stops as soon as he sees my breast coming and opens wide and latches comfortably, its not like he ravishingly clamps down or grabs me, he is very content. During nursing he usually closes his eyes or just stares up at me and I usually hold his hand while he nurses or he massages my breast while suckling. I can also feel the difference in my breasts fullness.

I am just worried about his small size and of coarse turn to myself for the blame due to being his only source of nutrition. My mother is always putting me down, always saying that I should stop BFing because it's 'obviously' not working. But my DH keeps pointing out that I am 4'10 and he is just going to be small for awhile. DH thinks he has grown a lot and I just don't see it because I am with him every day. Not much longer I guess and I will be with the Ped and able to get my answers. Doesn't help that no one around my area BFs, everyone formula feeds from day one so their babies are larger. Sean's friend is 2.5mths and weighs 15lbs so Sean looks like a miniature baby next to him!

03/22/13

I am just worried about his small size and of coarse turn to myself for the blame due to being his only source of nutrition. My mother is always putting me down, always saying that I should stop BFing because it's 'obviously' not working. But my DH keeps pointing out that I am 4'10 and he is just going to be small for awhile. DH thinks he has grown a lot and I just don't see it because I am with him every day. Not much longer I guess and I will be with the Ped and able to get my answers. Doesn't help that no one around my area BFs, everyone formula feeds from day one so their babies are larger. Sean's friend is 2.5mths and weighs 15lbs so Sean looks like a miniature baby next to him!
    I am REALLY sorry to hear that your mother is not being supportive. Is it possible to have a conversation with her about how her words are affecting you? Or has she always been negative about your choices and there would be no point? It is SOOO difficult when you aren't getting the kind of support you need. I am SOOOO happy that your DH is being so supportive, that is absolute GOLD!!

Aside from knowing whether or not he's gaining .5 - 1oz a day, it sounds like you're doing a great job and have a good supply. I hope that your Dr. appointment on Monday supports that you are doing great. And never apologize for coming to this forum to seek advice and support!!! You're seeking medical attention/advice AND you also need the support of this community ... especially when you're dealing with not a lot of local support.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

I agree that it all sounds pretty normal. He sounds like my first, she was a very slow gainer and the doc never worried. She was only 12 lbs at 4 months. She also went days between poops which I was told was normal. I was told that if I drink juice and have a a high fiber diet it would and help.. And seemed to work.

Blog Entries

Sean really sounds fine. You likely just have a small baby. As long as he has gained what Tapir mentioned there is absolutely no need to worry.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Sounds like he is doing just great! My kids are artificially inflated at birth and always either lose quite a bit, or just dont gain much. They were all different birth weights, but by the time they were 4m old they were between the 1st and 25th percentile. The first couple i worried about, and my secind was considered FTT and went through lots of testing. My 5th was the tiniest of all, she was 17lbs at a year, 20lbs at 2yrs, 22at 3yrs, 35lbs at 7, and 48lbs now at almost 10. My youngest is one of the biggest at 2yrs and 8m and 28lbs. I was disappointed to learn that was only the 25th percentile But at least now i just know that my kids are little. I am not particularly small, but my husband is for a man. My oldest daughter is 15 and only 5ft, and im pretty sure she's done growing.

As you know, some people are just smaller than others doesnt it make sense some babies are smaller too? They can't all be above the 50th percentile, its just not mathmatically possible!

Not good news... He weighs 9lbs 3oz. He is now 22 1/4in long and 15.5in on his head. Doc doesn't like his weight gain, he is thinking I am either not eating enough calories, therefore he isn't getting enough or Sean is just a petite boy. I think he is just petite but doc says we have to cross some things off the list first, main one being pyloric stenosis due to his spitting up, sometimes it's almost his whole meal. He wants me to continue breastfeeding every 3-4hrs, even through the night which sucks because Sean's on a perfect schedule and is sleeping through the night but not anymore. Now I have to wake him every 3-4hrs again. He also wants me to feed formula 2oz after every breastfeeding schedule, even though I told the doc after he eats I switch sides and he doesn't want anything. I have offered a bottle after breastfeeding and Sean turns his head away and refuses. I'm frustrated and extremely sad, cried the whole way home and been teary eyed all day. I feel like I am starving my son by breastfeeding any further. I will continue to breastfeed but beginning to not see a point if it's not helping him. I feel like a bad mother and awful person. I am so disappointed that not only could my body not get pregnant, but now I can't even feed my baby properly. I feel as though I am no longer needed by my son, DH can do it all. So, so terrible news to me. Now Sean has to undergo more testing when he has had enough testing with his kidney. It's all my fault!

Oh and he is below 5% now. He also got 3 shots and it broke my heart even more when he screamed because he never screams, he cries from time to time but never screams. I am sure my mother will give me an earful tonight when she finds out and will crush me some more, can't wait for that phone call!

As for the juice, doc said there is not much point in it because he can go up to a week with no poop due to breastfeeding, so long as it's not hard or pebbly when he goes and that he doesn't seem pained. He said his own daughter went poo every 5 days, it was just how she was. And probably TMI but I go every 3 days and have most of my life so it honestly doesn't surprise me. I am not constipated, I just don't go that often.

Not sure where to go from here, we go back in a week to get his weight again and see if adding a bit of formula will help. He also said it's normal for one breast to produce 5oz and the other 1oz, even if I try and try to increase it, I always feed Sean on the lower oz side first, always pump that side longer, I only managed to up the output to 1oz from the .5oz that I had been getting.
    Last edited by coelh102; 05-19-2014 at 12:45 PM.

03/22/13

Not good news... He weighs 9lbs 3oz. He is now 22 1/4in long and 15.5in on his head. Doc doesn't like his weight gain, he is thinking I am either not eating enough calories, therefore he isn't getting enough or Sean is just a petite boy. I think he is just petite but doc says we have to cross some things off the list first, main one being pyloric stenosis due to his spitting up, sometimes it's almost his whole meal. He wants me to continue breastfeeding every 3-4hrs, even through the night which sucks because Sean's on a perfect schedule and is sleeping through the night but not anymore. Now I have to wake him every 3-4hrs again. He also wants me to feed formula 2oz after every breastfeeding schedule, even though I told the doc after he eats I switch sides and he doesn't want anything. I have offered a bottle after breastfeeding and Sean turns his head away and refuses. I'm frustrated and extremely sad, cried the whole way home and been teary eyed all day. I feel like I am starving my son by breastfeeding any further. I will continue to breastfeed but beginning to not see a point if it's not helping him. I feel like a bad mother and awful person. I am so disappointed that not only could my body not get pregnant, but now I can't even feed my baby properly. I feel as though I am no longer needed by my son, DH can do it all. So, so terrible news to me. Now Sean has to undergo more testing when he has had enough testing with his kidney. It's all my fault!

Oh and he is below 5% now. He also got 3 shots and it broke my heart even more when he screamed because he never screams, he cries from time to time but never screams. I am sure my mother will give me an earful tonight when she finds out and will crush me some more, can't wait for that phone call!
    Don't tell your mom sorry its not her business unless she is going to be supportive of you. You are a grown woman and if she is going to be rude about it why does she need to know? You are not a bad mom at all! Not everyone can breastfeed you tried your best and for whatever reason its not working the way you want to but, that's OK. Breastfeeding is hard. I couldn't keep up with it and I know many, many, many others that said "Nope I am not trying it at all" including myself with my first child. You have to do what's best for you and Sean and if your mom can't understand that don't share these things with her unless she can provide comfort and supportive thoughts. Your only 9 weeks PP and I know everything body wise and hormonal you are still learning everyday with a new baby don't beat yourself up over this. You have tried and that's all you can do.
    *** Lindsay ***