Thread: Encouraging Finger foods

Default Encouraging Finger foods

DS is 6 days short of turning 10 months.

He crawls, sits, pulls up to stand, cruises holding to furniture, climbs stairs.. Babbles s many words and also drinks from a straw cup

However I am only concerned about his fine motor skills.. He picks up finger foods(like baby cheerios) but he still doesnt put it in his mouth. He plays with it and puts them on the floor..Even if we try to take his hand and put it in his mouth he pushes back.. How should we encourage him to eat finger food? So we land up feeding him his snacks..

Any advice will be really helpful.. Thanks!
    Me-(34), DH(37), DD(3y.10m) DS(9.5month)

find a finger food he likes.. dd refuses to eat cheerios, but if i dice up cooked carrots or fruit she will gobble it up. what foods have you tried with him?

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    find a finger food he likes.. dd refuses to eat cheerios, but if i dice up cooked carrots or fruit she will gobble it up. what foods have you tried with him?
    We have tried mashed potato and cooked peas.. Other than that it is cheerios, theeting wafers(into small pieces etc)..

His lunch and dinner meals are coarse mashed foods which we spoon feed.
    Me-(34), DH(37), DD(3y.10m) DS(9.5month)

We did baby led weaning, so we never spoon fed at all. From the moment we introduced solids we put finger food on their plate. You'd be surprised how much variety they can have.
    Here is a link about BLW and here is a link of BLW first foods.

Are you BF or FF? There is that guide that "food is for fun until they are one", so if he is getting the calories he needs from breastmilk or formula, then I personally would stop spoon feeding and just introduce more variety. I wouldn't worry terribly if he mostly plays with it, I would just hand over the reigns to him for a month or so and see how it progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by pray2god View Post
    We have tried mashed potato and cooked peas.. Other than that it is cheerios, theeting wafers(into small pieces etc)..

His lunch and dinner meals are coarse mashed foods which we spoon feed.
    i would keep trying and try other kinds of foods. it took me about a month to figure out what dd would eat on her own.
    gerber has yogurt melts that dd loves and has loved since she started finger foods... fruits are always a hit with her. beans, carrots and broccoli are her fav. veggies. maybe hes not into putting the stuff your offering into his mouth because he wants something that tastes better. he is learning independence and might be telling you that he does not want to eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by KC's wifey View Post
    We did baby led weaning, so we never spoon fed at all. From the moment we introduced solids we put finger food on their plate. You'd be surprised how much variety they can have.
    Here is a link about BLW and here is a link of BLW first foods.

Are you BF or FF? There is that guide that "food is for fun until they are one", so if he is getting the calories he needs from breastmilk or formula, then I personally would stop spoon feeding and just introduce more variety. I wouldn't worry terribly if he mostly plays with it, I would just hand over the reigns to him for a month or so and see how it progresses.

All of this. We did BLW too, and you'd be amazed how quickly they figure it out. Just keep trying different things, and the same things too, over and over. He'll get there!
    Jennifer

I started with Mum Mums for both of my kids. That way they had something substantial to hold, and it would just dissolve in the mouth as they gummed it. Maybe try something like that until he gets used to the idea of feeding himself? I also had a mesh feeder that I would put everything in. DD loved raw carrots in it. She would get the taste and little bits, but nothing big enough for her to choke on.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Oh yeah, my daughters loved the mesh feeders, too!

Even if his fine motor isn't the big still offer foods. At ten months he has a wide variety of safe foods. It might be very messy but, he'll get the hang of it don't feel discouraged.
    *** Lindsay ***