Thread: using the third person

Default using the third person

DS, 3.5, has recently started using the third person a lot. It was really sudden and I am not sure what triggered it. But now it's "Sonny wants some milk", "Sonny has to go potty," etc. He has never been as articulate or easy to understand as his sister who is super verbal, but he was an early talker and has a pretty advanced vocabulary. It's very hard to model the correct answer for him rather than to just correct hime - ie, because it comes out as "I (mommy) want some milk" and that doesn't give him the correct pronoun. He definitely knows he's doing it and says he just likes to talk that way. My concern is that he is doing it so frequently it is becoming a habit. And it just sounds weird! (Anyone old enough to remember Jimmy from Seinfeld??)

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Any advance?

No experience I don't remember Jimmy from Seinfeld though in general I've watch Seinfeld. I had this teacher assistant that always used his name in 3rd person. I thought it was sort of funny. I wonder if its something that might correct on its own over time.
    *** Lindsay ***

elmo does it and i tell ds all the time that elmo talks wrong and should be using i, me, my, etc. it seems to help ds use personal pronouns instead of using third person.

I would make a photo book of him. Take pictures of him doing different activities, put them in a book (you can make an e-book with voice over if you have a tablet - there are some apps that do this) and label each one, "I am cooking" "I am reading" "I am playing ball" etc. have him listen and read to you for 5 minutes a day, and forget about correcting him when he says it wrong.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I would make a photo book of him. Take pictures of him doing different activities, put them in a book (you can make an e-book with voice over if you have a tablet - there are some apps that do this) and label each one, "I am cooking" "I am reading" "I am playing ball" etc. have him listen and read to you for 5 minutes a day, and forget about correcting him when he says it wrong.
    Thank you! I was hoping you might weigh in :-)

It's actually a really hard one to teach, just for the reasons you listed above. But it sounds like he knows the difference and just needs the extra reinforcement of what is correct and not correct.

I use these to teach is + -ing (actually 3andMe recommended them so eternal thanks to her): http://www.amazon.com/Smethport-976-...rds=verb+cards

You could try some cards like this, have him act out the activity on the card, and then tell you what he is doing for another idea. I'd do the photo book thing as a first step, though.

My DS used to speak almost exclusively in 3rd person at age 3. We would explain that when he says "Stevie is home" he should say "I am home." ... we explained it a lot and then some more. (I found modelling mostly useless in this particular scenario since we did not speak in third person to begin with.) By the time he was 4 (maybe 4 1/2) he mostly spoke in 1st person and I cannot remember when he entirely stopped (definitely by 5 or so). We found that playing games (during which the child ends up saying the correct thing many times) helped develop a good habit.