Thread: Roomshare opinions for opposite genders

Default Roomshare opinions for opposite genders

We have 3 bedrooms and use all three as bedrooms right now however, James and I saw a bunk bed at Big Lot and had a general idea of "Hmm... maybe they can share a room however, it doesn't have to be a bunk bed deal to share a room. Sophia's room is huge. We gave Cody choice between his current room when we got done building or the other bedroom which is Sophia's room. He picked the smaller bedroom. Anyways I am torn because they are opposite genders. They do seem to express interest in room share and we would have the option to move them back in their rooms if they hate it and it would not be a big hassle because they don't have much furniture. The reason I am leading towards it would benefit them and us- 1. We can move our computer (to get it out of the kitchen) into the smaller room and move Cody's furniture into her room.
    We could put a small table inside of that room with the computer like a kiddie table for them to have a work area for homework and activities.
    Thoughts? Would it be inappropriate?
    *** Lindsay ***

I would think think in a couple of years Cody might not want to share a room with his sister. Maybe not. If you think you might be ok with changing things around soon again, then I would go for it. We are considering putting the boys together in our next house for the first couple years. THey are the same gender, but I think once they start school, they might want their own space.

I don't see anything wrong with it however I am having a lot of trouble with my 2 sharing a room so it's not all it's cracked up to be! I am not sure I would buy the bunk for the change but maybe try moving whatever they are sleeping in now around so you can move it back if it doesn't work out....unless you'd still want the bunk bed anyway then go for it.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

My nearly 7 year old ds and 8 year old dd share the lower level where I used to do the daycare. We had built a play loft years ago so I put their 2 twin mattresses up there. They do not want to sleep alone so it's perfect. They chat and draw until they fall asleep.

I think it would be fine. If in a few years Cody were to feel uncomfortable with it, you could always rearrange again then. But if they kids are game, and it would benefit you now, I don't see any harm

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Oh and I need to specific Cody has a twin bed and Sophia's crib converts into a toddler or full so like I said not the bunk-bed thing but, she can have her toddler bed and he can use his twin. I totally understand it might only two for a couple of year but, our house is all 1 story so moving with any stairs. Any others want to chime in?
    *** Lindsay ***

I agree with the others that it would be fine for now if you don't mind rearranging things again in a few years. If I remember right, Cody is about Katie's age and Sophia is about Nathan's age, maybe a little younger. Katie and Nathan share a room right now because my husband refuses to give one of them Laura's old room. Laura and Michael still sleep there whenever they come to visit, so he doesn't want to change that. I think it's fine for now, but in another few years, we're going to have to do something else.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I shared with one or another of my brothers until I was 11. The only reason things changed then was an addition to our house gave another bedroom so my parents could out the four boys in two rooms instead of 3 in one and one with me. It never bothered me. I became a master at quick-changing so I never was baked in front of them if I didn't want to be. Didn't even occur to me that I had a choice to "want to share" or not.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

The amount of space and bedrooms we have in the US is superfluous compared to much of the world. I don't think separate bedrooms are a necessity, even with different genders. Many siblings in the US and worldwide share space because they don't have a choice. So no, I don't see anything wrong with it. If it works out better for your family for them to share a room and use the other one for a different purpose, then go for it.

Blog Entries

My oldest share a room and will likely do so for some time (3 and 4). They are only 16 months apart and at this time the best of friends. The baby and hopefully a fourth child will share a room as well. If we end up having two boys and two girls we may split rooms that way but only if the kids want to do so.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by KC's wifey View Post
    The amount of space and bedrooms we have in the US is superfluous compared to much of the world. I don't think separate bedrooms are a necessity, even with different genders. Many siblings in the US and worldwide share space because they don't have a choice. So no, I don't see anything wrong with it. If it works out better for your family for them to share a room and use the other one for a different purpose, then go for it.
    ITA. We have 3 bedrooms but the kids share one. They LOVE sharing a room and many nights end up sleeping in the same bed together. I figure they will let us know when they want own rooms (I gather that once puberty hits, we will be moving rooms). I think that sibblings sharing a room helps develop skills necessary for getting along with others. They have the greatest conversations after they get to bed and before they fall asleep. They just lay in their beds and talk about stuff they did or create imaginary worlds ... it is really cool. They would not have this if they were in two different rooms. (OK, I admit, I like to listen on the other side of the door ... it is just too cute.)

My older two share a room despite being in a three bed room apartment. They love it and I hear them talking and giggling after I put them in there. A couple times I have tried to put Jude to bed earlier than Paige when he didn't have a nap and he just kept asking for her and wouldn't go to sleep.... And once when Jude was sick and fell asleep in the living room... Paige wanted me to stay and talk to her because she was lonely. So they won't be getting spilt up for quite a while. It is nice to have the extra room as a guest room/play room. Also the. Having a bunny bed in their room is nice because they have more room and use the bottom bunk like a fort.

I have 3 in a room sharing, they love it and prefer it that way! 2 girls (7 and 4) and their little brother (almost 2). Eventually we will probably split boys and girls, but only because the boys are younger, not because of gender... but that is probably at least 2 years down the road. And actually the way my older 3 currently are, I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 pile together like a pack of puppies for a while.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    ITA. We have 3 bedrooms but the kids share one. They LOVE sharing a room and many nights end up sleeping in the same bed together. I figure they will let us know when they want own rooms (I gather that once puberty hits, we will be moving rooms). I think that sibblings sharing a room helps develop skills necessary for getting along with others. They have the greatest conversations after they get to bed and before they fall asleep. They just lay in their beds and talk about stuff they did or create imaginary worlds ... it is really cool. They would not have this if they were in two different rooms. (OK, I admit, I like to listen on the other side of the door ... it is just too cute.)
    Me too! They are always like, "Can we do stories??" Meaning that dd tells ds stories she makes up. It is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleen View Post
    My older two share a room despite being in a three bed room apartment. They love it and I hear them talking and giggling after I put them in there. A couple times I have tried to put Jude to bed earlier than Paige when he didn't have a nap and he just kept asking for her and wouldn't go to sleep.... And once when Jude was sick and fell asleep in the living room... Paige wanted me to stay and talk to her because she was lonely. So they won't be getting spilt up for quite a while. It is nice to have the extra room as a guest room/play room. Also the. Having a bunny bed in their room is nice because they have more room and use the bottom bunk like a fort.
    That's adorable! I am going to have to share some of these positive stories with DH.
    *** Lindsay ***

My three (b-7/b-5/g-5) share a room! This is their choice. We just moved into a 3 BR house and lived in one before. It was understood that the boys would share and my daughter would have her own room. Well...they like sleeping in the same room, actually in the same bed! I know eventually she will want to be in her own room and they won't want her in their either, but definitely for your age children, totally appropriate.
    Julie (Mom of 3)

I don't think there's anything wrong with it until the child starts saying they're uncomfortable with it. They can go to the bathroom if they demand privacy. Plus having an extra office space would free up your kitchen and living space and give them one less thing to get into when you're not looking. My daughter and son will be sharing a room once new baby gets here, until new baby is older, then he might end up sharing a room with my oldest since they'd both be boys and all. We shall see!
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

My b/g 6-year-olds share a room, but they have a bunk bed in there with a trundle (in case our youngest starts being able to sleep through the night). They sometimes sleep on separate bunks, and sometimes one of them has a sleepover at grandma's house, but most of the time they say they're lonely if they sleep alone, and they share a full-sized bed.

I agree with Polly's post in that we in the US are accustomed to a lot of extra space compared to a lot of other parts of the world (or in history), where most of the time multiple people shared rooms and often beds for necessity and sometimes warmth.