Thread: Throwing up almost 10 month old

Blog Entries

Default Throwing up almost 10 month old

What would you all do?

N started throwing up last night. He threw up three times between 5 and 6 pm. He really wanted to nurse at 6:30 so I let him and finally got him settled for the night at 7:30. He usually goes down really easy at 6:30 but was a bit fussy. No fever and nothing else going on. Nurse advice came at 8 pm (more than 2 hours after I called) and was at that point worthless because I had a sleeping baby (and seemed weird - nurse for five minutes every 30 minutes to an hour...even though I told her that he normally only nurses for five minutes so this wouldn't be a reduction in quantity at one time). But, whatever.

He woke up once last night nursed and went back to sleep. By the time he was up for the day it was clear that he has runny, stuff nose. Still no fever and fairly normal acting (a bit fussy but still a very happy baby). He threw up again at 1:30 pm and now again at 5 pm. He had some solids at breakfast (cheerios and bread, not much of either) but only breast milk since then. His throw up just now had what looked like to me would be thrown up oatmeal in a bunch of liquid - so pale semi solid stuff with darker brown streaks in it (goopy, sticky). I'm describing this because I am wondering if it a little bit of blood coming up. We weaned him off his prilosec this last month...

So, do you think that he is throwing up because of post nasal drip (this happens to me if I am not careful). Is he throwing up blood? Is there a virus that causes throwing up and a runny nose? Does he have two things going on?

If he throws up tomorrow or has a rough night I'll take him to the doctor. It is just so weird to have no fever, runny nose and vomiting.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Blog Entries

And just to remind you all, N was vomiting blood at 4 months and still a happy baby. He just became a HAPPY baby once we switched him to prilosec from zantac. So, he doesn't seem to communicate pain to us very well.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

if he didnt have a history of vomitting blood I wouldnt worry at all, i dont think it is that unusual to have vomiting and running nose with no fever. it could be post nasal drip, or it could just be a virus. Stuff does change color when itsbeen in the stomach for awhile, so the brown could have been anything.

I personally would give him another day or so, keep him hydrated, nurse as much as he wanted and see how he does. If he throws up what looks like more blood I might change my plans. If you think its the reflux, could you give him tums or some other antacid that is quick acting?

I would put him back on prilosec while he is sick and keep him hydrated and call it a virus...

Blog Entries

Thanks. We do have some prilosec still here and I will give him some tomorrow to see if that changes the vomiting in any way (the way it looks or stops it).

All this advice to take him off and the nurse advice is still this crummy office. Next month we are off to a new doctor. I plan to just get him seen ahead of schedule to hopefully get this developmentally delayed thing off his chart, too. (By the way, he is now calling me Mama, pulling up to stand and lifting up his arms to be picked up)