Thread: Manual pumps

Default Manual pumps

I have an electric pump, but I am back to work now. It is an awkward situation to try to pump at work, with only one bathroom and no door to the back office, so I figure a manual pump will draw far less attention and (from what I have heard) be quicker than an electric pump.
    What manual pump has worked for you? I am looking for an inexpensive one, and it needs to be efficient.
    Brittany, mommy to Boo and Bean, and Bear makes three!

I picked up an evenflo manual pump from Walmart. I really like it....I bring it into the shower too and get extra milk cause I always had a let down from the heat.

My LC always said that when away from baby for more than 2 sessions to use an electric. When I worked 8+ hours I used a Phillips electric double pump. It was quiet. If you got one of those hands free bras and wore your nursing wrap I doubt anyone would look twice.

There is a law in CA that says employers must provide breast feeding moms a place beside restroom to pump. I wonder if your state has something similar.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

My work situation is a different one, and I am not sure of the laws around here. I work in food service, a small shop with a single unisex bathroom and no door on the back office. Pumping at work at all is an awkward affair, and that is without the noise of an electric pump.
    I bought a Medela Harmony since my electric pump is a Medela. It is working well so far. I pump once mid-morning when I start to feel full, and I work close enough to home that I can break away and feed my baby on my lunch break. I might try your method of pumping in the shower, since I often go to work at least half-full.
    Last edited by Tsuuriki; 05-15-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Brittany, mommy to Boo and Bean, and Bear makes three!

I might be tempted to go pump in my car in that situation. Park in a spot where no one can see, or put a nursing cover on while pumping. In my experience, an electric is much more effective than a manual.

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuuriki View Post
    My work situation is a different one, and I am not sure of the laws around here. I work in food service, a small shop with a single unisex bathroom and no door on the back office. Pumping at work at all is an awkward affair, and that is without the noise of an electric pump.
    I bought a Medela Harmony since my electric pump is a Medela. It is working well so far. I pump once mid-morning when I start to feel full, and I work close enough to home that I can break away and feed my baby on my lunch break. I might try your method of pumping in the shower, since I often go to work at least half-full.
    Ya that is tough! I agree with Previous poster, maybe the car! The more comfortable and relaxed you are the better your let down and supply will be (especially in the long term).
    You should totally pump in the shower, extra milk is always handy, plus, it's so easy to just pop the baby on again before going to work if she needs. Your body will always respond better to baby.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I never found a manual pump to be faster that an electric one. Good luck with your situation. I got the car adapter for my electric so that I could pump in the car if need be.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I have used a manual pump more this time around than with my previous two DD's. I started out with the Medela Harmony this time and was using it after the first month or so to slowly start building up my stash before going back to work. I tend to have oversupply issues and was hoping only using the manual would help. In the past, my body has responded almost too well to my Medela PISA producing way more milk than I needed. Anyway, after only using the Harmony for about 2 months, once or twice per day, the suction started to decrease. I've tried different things to remedy it to no avail.

So, I ordered the Lasinoh Manual Pump as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-50520...ual+breastpump. I like this Lansinoh pump specifically because it has a larger flange (and also a smaller one) which works better for me. I used it this morning for the first time to pump one breast while my DD was nursing on the other and it worked SOOOOO great....way better than the Harmony ever did. I pumped double the milk in a shorter time and it kept my milk flowing the whole time so my DD even nursed better since she wasn't slowing down to wait for another letdown to occur. I highly recommend this pump. You can actually get it at Walmart and I think Target too for about $10 less than what Amazon has it listed for. I liked it so much that I'm going to try it for a regular pumping session of both breasts (and without baby nursing) to see how it compares to my PISA. It was also very comfortable to use.
    3/2013