Thread: Head Control/Tummy Time question

Default Head Control/Tummy Time question

So Sean hates being on his back or tummy... Sometimes if he is in a good mood he tolerates being laid on the floor on his back but when I put him on his belly he cries and fidgets but doesn't even try to lift his head, he will turn it side to side a little bit but mostly ends up face down on the blanket screaming and crying. When I have him on his back he looks from side to side and tolerates it for a while but then starts to cry and fidget. How can I help him relax on his back and tummy while he tries to hold up his head? When I am sitting with him and have him sit on his butt and look at me, he holds his head up fine, it wobbles to and fro but he keeps it up. Also while just hold him he can hold his head that way but I want him to lift his head right? Not just hold it up. Any advice?

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

I hope this doesn't sound mean just keep on doing tummy time it will help him for the long haul. Cody hated it too but, its an important skill for all babies. You can keep it at a couple of minute intervals but, its still important to do so he can build his neck muscles and eventually crawling. One thing you can do is maybe rub his back to provide some extra comfort and talk to him. After a while he won't be bothered by it.
    *** Lindsay ***

i think most babies hate tummy time!

I would put mine on the couch and i would sit on the floor, so when they lifted their heads they saw me. that helped to get a few extra seconds out of them Just keep trying, eventually he'll get used to it and wont think it's torture.

Here is a site that gives tips on easing into tummy time, like actual different things to try out. Just think of it as the first in a long line of things you'll have to make him do that he's going to hate. ;)
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

We start "tummy time" out on the boppy (chest or belly on boppy and arms draped over)...we never leave them unsupervised since they could smother, but it seems to work better than just placing them on the floor .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

DS didn't care to beon the floor- he would whine and put his face down. When I held him though, he would put his head straight up to look at me. As far as I was concerned they get practice with head control different ways- it doesn't necessarily have to be structured on the floor- especially if they don't like it!

Mine hated it too! I had a mat with a mirror so they would see themselves when they lifted up and it was at least a short distraction. I also would lay flat on my back on the couch and lay them on me.

I also used the boppy but I think it's more ideal if they are laying flat.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

tummy time isnt just about head control, its for trunk, back abdominal, arm leg, full body work out

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    tummy time isnt just about head control, its for trunk, back abdominal, arm leg, full body work out
    Never thought about it like this but, so true!
    *** Lindsay ***

Blog Entries

Mine all hated this too. DS just now tolerates it but only bc he can get into position on his own now. Honestly I was never very good about enforcing tummy time. I did however carry them upright a lot so the gained head control this way instead...and they were much happier!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

The best way we did tummy time was on our chests. We would recline and lay them on us. No fussing. We would also lay with them on our bed. Eventually, they were ok on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    We start "tummy time" out on the boppy (chest or belly on boppy and arms draped over)...we never leave them unsupervised since they could smother, but it seems to work better than just placing them on the floor .
    This is how I did it too. I agree with the others, I don't think any of them like tummy time, but you need to do it anyways even if its only a few minutes! Hang in there!
    Jennifer

Thank you ladies for the advice, glad I am not alone!! I will have to try the boppy or using my own body. He lifts his head and pushes away from be with his arms when I hold him and he can look up at me then but he hates being flat, even in his pack n play or crib he has to sleep in his bouncer a lot or he won't sleep at all.

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz