Thread: Bunk bed versus loft bed

Default Bunk bed versus loft bed

I'm going to be getting G a new bed/frame. I can't decide if I want a twin/twin bunk or a twin loft bed (open space underneath).

Without getting too much into specifics does anyone have recommendations one way or another?
    We are not having anymore children so it's just him.
    The room can accommodate either.
    He doesn't care which one we get.
    We have one mattress/boxspring already so a bunkbed would require us to get another mattress. But we have no guest room so it'd also give us another bed for guests.

If I had one child I think would be nice to have a double bunk if you are OK with one of his buddies over there would be a place for them to sleep. No recommendations though just and idea.
    *** Lindsay ***

I like the idea of having another bed for guests, but how often do you have guests? I've done loft beds for both of my girls (who are 12 years apart, so never in the "share a room" age range together). They always had smallish rooms, so the idea of having space underneath was always very appealing. It's been really useful space over the years. So unless you have a pressing need for a guest bed, I vote loft.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

My questions would be:
    -how often do you have guests? or
    -do you or plan to have other kids sleep over often?
    -is the room small? Are you pressed for space?
    -also if you have adult guests would they want to sleep in a twin bunk bed?
    -do you have another place to accommodate guests?

My first thought would be loft for space and the fact that another bed would be a waste if you are not using it. But if you have a lot of out of towners or kids that would be staying over often I would go for the bunk.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would go for a loft. I would like the space underneath for a desk or even just to play. If a friend sleeps over, you can use a sleeping bag ( I remember doing that as a kid lots of times). Adults can have the couch or your bed if you give it up.

Kai has this set : http://www.hayneedle.com/product/sta...FUuXOgod9mAA-Q

We used it as the bunks for a long time, but when we moved he went to a smaller room and we needed more space. We left the back bottom rail on, and left out the front one (it's still just as sturdy) and turned it into a loft type bed. So now he has a play/toy area under the bed which is very convenient for his smaller room. We keep the spare mattress downstairs and could put the rail on and use it any time we needed to fairly easy. If you feel like you might ever need the extra bed space for guests or sleepovers that might be the way to go.

These are incredibly well made and sturdy, and I loved the full set of steps instead of just a ladder. The drawers in the end are also nice, but because of them they do limit how you can set the bed in smaller spaces.
    ~Kim~Kaylee~Kai~

We often have family staying with us so for us a bunk would make more sense. I know a few people who have a really nice one from Costco that is a full size bed on bottom and a twin on top. I don't know if you would have room for the full size bed, though.

If you don't have a lot of company, or you could use an air mattress or something when you do have guests, the loft bed could be fun!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

We have a bunkbed in my 5 yr old's room that has a twin over full, but the full on the bottom is a futon mattress with a frame that folds up into a couch. That might be a setup you could consider. Awesome for an extra bed, kids like to play like it's a fort by hanging a blanket over the side from the top bunk. We've never had a loft bed to compare though. That could be cool for a desk or something underneath, if space is limited.
    ~Andrea~

they had a loft bed at costco for awhile that had a chair underneath that folded out into a twin size bed. Something like that could be the best of both worlds, extra bed when you need it, but extra space for playing and seating when you dont. I'll see if i can find a link.

i'd probably get a loft bed, especially if space is tight

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    I like the idea of having another bed for guests, but how often do you have guests? I've done loft beds for both of my girls (who are 12 years apart, so never in the "share a room" age range together). They always had smallish rooms, so the idea of having space underneath was always very appealing. It's been really useful space over the years. So unless you have a pressing need for a guest bed, I vote loft.
    We have guests infrequently. In the warmer months the guests just sleep in our travel trailer anyway. Really the second bunk would only get used by my mom when she's here for a day or two at a time during the winter. His room isn't small but the idea of a play area under the bed is quite appealing. But I could also just not put a mattress on the bottom bunk and just put a piece of plywood or something down and he could still use the bottom bunk as a play area. When we move in a few years he'll be a little older and we'll be in a more populated area so he might have friends over.

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    My questions would be:
    -how often do you have guests? or
    -do you or plan to have other kids sleep over often?
    -is the room small? Are you pressed for space?
    -also if you have adult guests would they want to sleep in a twin bunk bed?
    -do you have another place to accommodate guests?

My first thought would be loft for space and the fact that another bed would be a waste if you are not using it. But if you have a lot of out of towners or kids that would be staying over often I would go for the bunk.
    1. Rarely.
    2. Often? No. But when we move that could change.
    3. It is not small and we are only pressed for space because he is a messy, Lego loving 5 year old boy.
    4. It'd be my mom or my sister and they would get that bed or the floor. Ha! I know which one I'd pick!
    5. We do but the bunkbed option would be much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by KimJ View Post
    Kai has this set : http://www.hayneedle.com/product/sta...FUuXOgod9mAA-Q

We used it as the bunks for a long time, but when we moved he went to a smaller room and we needed more space. We left the back bottom rail on, and left out the front one (it's still just as sturdy) and turned it into a loft type bed. So now he has a play/toy area under the bed which is very convenient for his smaller room. We keep the spare mattress downstairs and could put the rail on and use it any time we needed to fairly easy. If you feel like you might ever need the extra bed space for guests or sleepovers that might be the way to go.

These are incredibly well made and sturdy, and I loved the full set of steps instead of just a ladder. The drawers in the end are also nice, but because of them they do limit how you can set the bed in smaller spaces.
    That is almost exactly the bed I was looking at, Kim! DH doesn't like it but I love the stairs up instead of the ladder rails (that hurt my feet). I like the way you explained how you turned it into a loft, I'll show that to DH and see if he gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunkiss View Post
    We have a bunkbed in my 5 yr old's room that has a twin over full, but the full on the bottom is a futon mattress with a frame that folds up into a couch. That might be a setup you could consider. Awesome for an extra bed, kids like to play like it's a fort by hanging a blanket over the side from the top bunk. We've never had a loft bed to compare though. That could be cool for a desk or something underneath, if space is limited.
    The futon couch dealio is what G wants. Because he wants a couch in his room he said. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    they had a loft bed at costco for awhile that had a chair underneath that folded out into a twin size bed. Something like that could be the best of both worlds, extra bed when you need it, but extra space for playing and seating when you dont. I'll see if i can find a link.

i'd probably get a loft bed, especially if space is tight
    Hm, that'd kind of be the best of all worlds huh? An extra twin bed to satisfy me, the chair/couch to satisfy G, and the loft to satisfy DH. I'll have to look harder for those! Was the fold out mattress a futon, do you know?

And thanks y'all for the replies! I am the one who thinks we should just go for the bunk bed and have the extra bed just in case/for the future. DH thinks we should do the loft bed.
    But the point that an air mattress/sleeping bag, etc. can still be placed in the space underneath is a really, really good point.

And thankfully I JUST figured out how to multi-quote in one message. Tells you how often I've been in here huh?

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...d-sofa-bed.asp

this isnt the same one, but similar idea. the one they had at costco wasnt a futon, it was 2 cushions sewn together so they folded, i think you flipped them over to make a solid surface tosleep on.

just noticed that linnk is a uk site. but at least gives you the idea!

I would probably do a twin over twin. I had one like that growing up (and while there were two of us, we had our own rooms so it wasn't that we had to share) and we spent a LOT of time playing on the bottom bunk and building forts and such. And it's nice to sleep on the bottom bunk is say one isn't feeling well or something vs having to climb up and down. If I needed storage, I would look into the kind that has drawers built it as well. And it's good to have the extra bed later on for sleepovers.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

We have a loft bed for our six year old boy. He has a massif amount of Legos and the loft gave us all the storage/plays pace we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mommabert View Post
    That is almost exactly the bed I was looking at, Kim! DH doesn't like it but I love the stairs up instead of the ladder rails (that hurt my feet). I like the way you explained how you turned it into a loft, I'll show that to DH and see if he gets it.
    I can take a picture for you if you want or need me too. it is honestly the best of both worlds, and wouldn't take much time at all to put the rail and mattress on for a guest (the biggest pain for me would be moving all the toys!). And the steps...I prefer them for myself too, because they make getting up there to make the bed easier on me (it's against one wall and too heavy for me to move out all the time), but I much prefer them for Kai. Thinking about a half asleep little person trying to get out of bed at night to go pee and climbing down a ladder made me nervous. Granted he can still fall down those steps but he also has more room to put his feet and more to hang onto on his way down in a sleepy state. Also granted, he likes to hold himself up between the stair rail and the bed and swing like a monkey, but boys will be boys regardless!

We have several furniture stores nearby (i don't know how close you all have any, i know you're farther out in the country than us), that carry this bed in store. Maybe if you could get your DH to go look at it in person he might like it more. It is way more sturdy and well built than any other normal bunk bed i've seen.
    ~Kim~Kaylee~Kai~

Quote Originally Posted by KimJ View Post
    I can take a picture for you if you want or need me too. it is honestly the best of both worlds, and wouldn't take much time at all to put the rail and mattress on for a guest (the biggest pain for me would be moving all the toys!). And the steps...I prefer them for myself too, because they make getting up there to make the bed easier on me (it's against one wall and too heavy for me to move out all the time), but I much prefer them for Kai. Thinking about a half asleep little person trying to get out of bed at night to go pee and climbing down a ladder made me nervous. Granted he can still fall down those steps but he also has more room to put his feet and more to hang onto on his way down in a sleepy state. Also granted, he likes to hold himself up between the stair rail and the bed and swing like a monkey, but boys will be boys regardless!

We have several furniture stores nearby (i don't know how close you all have any, i know you're farther out in the country than us), that carry this bed in store. Maybe if you could get your DH to go look at it in person he might like it more. It is way more sturdy and well built than any other normal bunk bed i've seen.
    I am considering this just so I don't have to be climbing up there all the time...would it work for Kai? https://www.zipitbedding.com/

Oh who am I kidding? I'll be climbing up there all the time just 'cause it's cool and I miss having a bunkbed to sleep in!

Quote Originally Posted by toesockies View Post
    We have a loft bed for our six year old boy. He has a massif amount of Legos and the loft gave us all the storage/plays pace we needed.
    We have a Lego-obsesso too! I'm so tired of Legos!