Thread: In- home Childcare Q's

Default In- home Childcare Q's

How the neighborhood kids really gather around when the kids are outside and how well they listen though I am concerned about their safety got me thinking maybe I am too hard on myself and maybe I could handle watching kids at my home if all the legal liability stuff were to work out. Now, I wouldn't be OK watching the neighborhood kids for free obviously but, I wonder if I had the proper licensing and CDA training which there is on on Penn Foster maybe the aunt and I could work out a deal.. Or other kids I want to do something 2nd shift because first shift is a dime and a dozen but, one huge limitation for some moms to work is that around here at least tons of mom work retail so I think a 2nd shift deal would be better for our family too. 3P-12AM That way it does not interrupt James' sleep either or anyone else's schedule. I am very fortunate to have kids that are good sleepers. They sleep well through any sort of racket other than storms but, I hate storms myself. I got a quote from Allstate of $225 per year for 8 children (6 daycare kids plus, mine just to cover all bases). I am doing some investigating looking at IN.Gov for licensing procedures. Tips? Advice? Things to Think about? Thoughts?

i have a friend that does in-home childcare. ratios are important. if you have a child that is 0-16 mos you need 1 adult for every 4 kids. 16 mo-2 yrs 1 adult for 5 kids. 2 yrs 1 adult for every 8 kids. the best thing for the kids is to have a clear cut routine and simple/easy for youngsters to understand rules.
    my friend runs her daycare like a school. the kids always have something to do. and you can ask the older ones what they do at daycare and they can tell you the daily routine. i would also invest in food service certification so you know how to properly serve and store food.
    you could also get a handbook from a local daycare to get you started on making your own policies and such. (sick policies, payment policies, etc.)

i looked into having my own in - home daycare and there is a ton of stuff that needs to be considered. and for licencing in il you have to pass home inspections. at the time my house was too small. my friend is un-licensed and lets her parents know up front about it. she is always booked full and has people constantly asking if/when she will have space.

if you have more questions i will ask my friend for you. just pm me for more info

Another thing to consider is your kids might sleep well with noise, but that's not the same having other kids around that they think are getting to play and have fun while they have to go to sleep.

Plus if you are having day care, then you really can't have other kids over just as friends--not sure how much of an issue it would be.

You need contracts for the care and some sort of idea that you will actually be paid. I'd find out if there was really an interest for day care or if you're just being used as a safe place before investing any money. But there many be a market for it for other kids if you were able to set it up!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    Another thing to consider is your kids might sleep well with noise, but that's not the same having other kids around that they think are getting to play and have fun while they have to go to sleep.

Plus if you are having day care, then you really can't have other kids over just as friends--not sure how much of an issue it would be.

You need contracts for the care and some sort of idea that you will actually be paid. I'd find out if there was really an interest for day care or if you're just being used as a safe place before investing any money. But there many be a market for it for other kids if you were able to set it up!
    I would for sure do a contract with specific guidelines that I as a parent feel like its easy to follow. From what I gather one IN.GOV is that less than 5 children (other than natural children, adopted children, foster, or stepchildren a license is not required) There isn't a specific ratio as far as infants. With a licensed in residential home yes there is an inspection but, there is not a ratio vs ages just 6 or less per person other than the children I mentioned above. I know two people one is currently doing an in home childcare and the other did it while her kids were young. I will be talking to both people. This is a long term goal but, I want to gather ideas for investing so I do totally understand that. The first small gig I might have this summer is with 1 child age 10 and I want to see how that all goes before the investment as well. Though if I were licensed I would be allowed up to 6 kids other than mine I might not take full advantage of that this is not going to be a huge money maker for me and I accept that fully I want to make back what I invest of course but, its also to help others to an extent but, still be paid for it. I hope that makes sense. Cody has a couple of friends over sometimes but, not often I could set my own limits. If I do this full time my personal goal is to be done with the CDA and first aid/ CPR training by January 2015. I have phone numbers and email addresses from IN.GOV to gather resources and information that could help me make an informative choice. I do appreciate this feedback for sure and I hope others will chime in. My kids are good sleepers even with noise we've had friends over before pretty late and though we keep it down for the most part sometimes we can laugh loudly.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 05-06-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    i have a friend that does in-home childcare. ratios are important. if you have a child that is 0-16 mos you need 1 adult for every 4 kids. 16 mo-2 yrs 1 adult for 5 kids. 2 yrs 1 adult for every 8 kids. the best thing for the kids is to have a clear cut routine and simple/easy for youngsters to understand rules.
    my friend runs her daycare like a school. the kids always have something to do. and you can ask the older ones what they do at daycare and they can tell you the daily routine. i would also invest in food service certification so you know how to properly serve and store food.
    you could also get a handbook from a local daycare to get you started on making your own policies and such. (sick policies, payment policies, etc.)

i looked into having my own in - home daycare and there is a ton of stuff that needs to be considered. and for licencing in il you have to pass home inspections. at the time my house was too small. my friend is un-licensed and lets her parents know up front about it. she is always booked full and has people constantly asking if/when she will have space.

if you have more questions i will ask my friend for you. just pm me for more info
    The one question I would have for her though it might be different in Indiana would be what was her sq footage and what was your sq footage?

Your state should have a website to answer every question you can think of. You can contact them and they will send you a packet of the requirements with a checklist to have done before they come. You will definitely want contracts and guidelines for illness. I did it out of my home for five years. One thing that was nice for my kids is that daycare toys were mostly separate. If you don't have the layout for that, you would maybe want to consider letting them put certain toys up.
    I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Your state should have a website to answer every question you can think of. You can contact them and they will send you a packet of the requirements with a checklist to have done before they come. You will definitely want contracts and guidelines for illness. I did it out of my home for five years. One thing that was nice for my kids is that daycare toys were mostly separate. If you don't have the layout for that, you would maybe want to consider letting them put certain toys up.
    I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
    Thanks Bridget!

A good friend of mine had a in-home child care. In our state, she could get away with a lot less red tape if she was licensed to have only children from 2 other families. The licensing process was a lot more complicated if she wanted a full, unrestricted license. Maybe your state has something like that to get you started with little less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    A good friend of mine had a in-home child care. In our state, she could get away with a lot less red tape if she was licensed to have only children from 2 other families. The licensing process was a lot more complicated if she wanted a full, unrestricted license. Maybe your state has something like that to get you started with little less effort.
    This is what I am thinking about because the only difference is having a licensed day care with 5 kids or non-licensed with 5 kids is really the comfort factor of the parent. Personally, I wouldn't mind as a parent to have my child go to a daycare that was unlicensed because Indiana has this cool thing that's free called "Dox Pop" It is free and you get 8 cases a month for free to look into. Its basically a background check. If someone has even a minor offense like a traffic violation it will show it. James got a ticket when he was 19 and it shows it as a non-criminal issue. We also have a service on in.gov for a DL/ State ID to show any major offenses too. So if I were in these parents positions I would tell them about this website and I also have a yearly background check on care.com I can print off. For me if I were in their shoes that would be enough to show that the person is OK KWIM? Also of course if the house looked good too. I might focus on the CPR/First aide thing first and get my CDA. I think bare min. CPR/First aide certification is a good investment really for anyone is a parent and who works with kids even on a smaller level.

I'm in Ny, and had thought about this. There was a TON to do to meet qualifications and application. Just an fyi that it's not a quick process. It can take up to 6 months but it's a lot of paperwork, etc. I ended up deciding against it but I think in the right situation, it could be great. I work full time making good money right now and couldn't take the risk of leaving my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    I'm in Ny, and had thought about this. There was a TON to do to meet qualifications and application. Just an fyi that it's not a quick process. It can take up to 6 months but it's a lot of paperwork, etc. I ended up deciding against it but I think in the right situation, it could be great. I work full time making good money right now and couldn't take the risk of leaving my job.
    I never said it was a quick progress I said it might be a long term goal if I am going to do it. I hope to have the CDA and the First Aide out of the way before Jan. 2015 I did not say to have the licensing out of the way by then. I know the first aide can be out of the way by then for sure without a doubt. I been a SAHM this whole time with the exception of a CNA job I did in 2009. It was heartbreaking to see the elderly be treated like dirt and 1 flop with teleservices. The First/Aide CPR is worth the $50 even if I don't ever pursue childcare its nice for any mom or dad IMO have that training in case of an emergency so I look at it as an investment however, the CDA could be an investment even if I don't do the in-home childcare most daycares around here want that then I don't have to worry about being self-employed regardless I know it won't be a walk in the park if I somehow implied it would be I am not exactly sure how I did.
    Last edited by mom2CodySophia0811; 05-06-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    The one question I would have for her though it might be different in Indiana would be what was her sq footage and what was your sq footage?
    her home is around 1900sf with an uncounted basement and mine was 650sf. that home also had no safe spot for severe weather

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    her home is around 1900sf with an uncounted basement and mine was 650sf. that home also had no safe spot for severe weather
    Mine is 1050 so... really I don't know until I try the worst they can say is no if I pursue it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I will thanks!