Thread: What to do for niece in surgery?

Default What to do for niece in surgery?

My 14 year old niece is having surgery to lengthen her Achilles soon. When I go visit her in the hospital what is a good thing to bring/do? I want to make it special.

A couple of years ago she was in the hospital for some weird infection in her foot. When I went to visit her in the hospital I feel like nothing special....her best friend showed up shortly after me and my niece spent the whole time with him.

My sister and I don't talk, unless it has something to do with the kids. Since my sister told me about this surgery I feel like I should do something special. This type of thing is completely new to me and I don't know what to do.

I don't know anything about that type of surgery so I am pulling straws will she have restricted arm use or just legs? I was thinking maybe a mixture of beads to make bracelets/ necklaces. Does she have an IPOD? Maybe a gift card for Itunes? You can help her download her favorite songs if she is feeling really rough. A sketch pad with colored pencils, crayons, maybe colorful gel pens if she is an artisty type. Puzzles? They have tons of puzzles at the Dollar Tree and Dollar General come are quite clever. Books, magazines, I loved the gossip magazines at that age but, I don't know if she would.

Blog Entries

When my nephew was in the hospital I sent him a couple ebooks so his mom could read with him. Granted he is only 2 but it was something to do to pass the time and a really easy way to sho p! If your niece has an ipad or other tablet device you could could send a book or magazine subscription...and she won't have to pack up the gift when it is time to go home!
    Last edited by jazzmom; 05-06-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: darn auto correct typos!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

find out what shes interested in and get her something that she will love. or wait till shes allowed to eat and bring her favorite fast food meal and ice cream. download her favorite movie and bring it to her and watch it together, make sure to bring popcorn, pop and candy to make it a theater experience in her hospital room. just to name a few things that might help make your time more special.

Awesome ideas!! I need to find out how long she will be in the hospital. As far as I know, she will have a cast for about 6 weeks after the surgery.

You could bring her magazines, give her a mani/pedi, give her a new CD or a book she wants, just something to do in the hospital. They're terribly boring.