Thread: Scary Friday

Default Scary Friday

I had a really busy week with buying a second car and a birthday party on Tuesday, go to the office and shopping for our baby on Wednesday, renew my drivers licence on Thursday (with a lot of trouble due to documents I needed form all diffrent places) and struggling with laundry, cleaning, preparing Elinas room....

So yesterday was my first day to wrap up some things at home, run some errands and just relaxing. I did fine untill noon. Had done two laundries, groceries shopping, post office, took a break/snack at ten, had lunch and was just finishing cleaning the bath when I realized that I hadn't felt Elina moving since lunch. As this was only one hour ago I tried not to freak out, drank something cool and ate something sugary (I thought in this case half a granola bar could not harm even though I have gestational diabetes). Then I layed down as sugested and shiffted positions several times, shook my belly a little...... still nothing. That was the point when I got scared and phoned my husband. He suggested to call my midwife to get additional advice of how to get her move. The office told me to come in to Wailuku (30 min drive) just when I felt a little move. So I told them about that tiny shift of postition of Elina and they said to come in anyway because it was Friday. During my drive I could feel her moving another three times but nor as intense as normaly. When I got to the clinic they adviced me to go directly to the labor and delivery in the hospital. So another ten minutes drive and check in at the hospital.
    One hour after my first call I got to the Labor&Delivery department where they checked the heartbeat of Elina right away an put me on a fetal monitors too, before asking me some additional questions about the pregnancy, previous surgeries, and and and. Of course Elina started to move right after all that attention and I felt a little embarrassed of being overly concerned.
    After ten minutes we were done with all the questions and the nurse had a look at the two monitors. The Heartbeat looked perfekt and then she said: "You had three contractions over the last then minutes all lasting about one minute. Did you feel that?". And I was like.... are you kidding me . I just felt absolutely nothing except of the movements of my baby.
    So they monitored me for another 35 minutes to make sure all was okay and I obviously had contractions the whole time without feeling anything. Which made me feel like an insensitive rock . But as everything else looked fine they discarged me after one hour and sent me back home.
    I definitively hope this will never happen to me again. Not feeling the baby move and not be able to make her move was one of the most scarry moments in my life.
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl

I know that was scary for you! Try to remember that they sleep too and it can be for hours at a time, so movement may not be a constant all day thing. You were right to get checked out there's no reason to feel embarrassed, better safe than sorry!!

Also those contractions are Braxton Hicks and they've been happening for a long time, you might not ever feel them. I just recently started feeling them occasionally, its totally normal!

You're doing great!!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Baby's just love to freak us out! That would be scary and overwhelming!

Natalie's right! Baby's sleep for 90+ minute cycles. You will probably start noticing a sleep wake pattern now. Always better safe than sorry!!!!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

You're definitively right. I wasn't overly concerned so far. But at the o/b check on Tuesday I got told to have a closer look at the movement because she seems to be in a start position and my belly was a bit tight. Maybe from knowing of all that stuff coming up soon. And I have a really activ baby normally. She loved to move around, kick and punch a lot, so not being able to make her move the slightest bit was nothing I ever had before.
    I also didn't expect them to send me to the hospital right away. I just thought they would give me some addditional advice or get someone checked on the heartbeat before starting that whole circle they did right away. But now that I know how things got handeled here I will for sure wait a little longer untill I call them again.

!!!!

I'm so sorry you had this scare ...so glad baby is fine, praying the rest of your pg is uneventful !!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

That is scary! Glad she is ok and you as well.

Glad all is well! Keep the kick count - it will give you an idea of the sleep-awake pattern. As for feeling contractions - I haven't felt any until real labour came.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Oh so scary!! I'm sorry you went through that, but glad all is well.

I'm only 20 weeks, but have been feeling this kid for two months now. Today, I took a break from packing, and didn't feel him / her at all for a while. I started to freak out! But then he woke up and all was good again. Let's just say, even though I'm too early for kick counts, and even though he was still for only a few minutes, and then all was fine again, I understand the worry you went through. So don't be embarrassed about being overly concerned. It's a mother's prerogative, and they used to it, I'm sure!

For contractions, same thing happened to me with my first pregnancy. I had NO IDEA I was having them, but the NSTs say I did! Isn't that weird?? Gotta love our bodies!

Just to keep you updated. I started feeling the contractions over the weekend. They definitively got stronger but are not regular so far. My MIL saw my belly on skype and meant that in her opinion (she hadn't seen me for two weeks) it started to descend. So I might really have false labor and my body starts to prepare for the birth that early. Also my pubic bone hurt a little over the weekend, so there is definitively some change going on. Maybe Elina just felt it earlier than I and reacted accordingly. So far her longest sleeping break she took was back to 45 minutes. As it was before. I still wasn't able to figure out a scedule except of thinking she is never asleep hope she will not going on like that after birth

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm sooo glad I found you all. Being that far from home and having the twelve hour time difference just makes it really hard for me to find someone to talk to in the middle of the day. So glad I have your advice and help to go through that pregnangcy

Oh, I hope that you don't feel too many contractions or too strong, because that could get old quickly in the next 9 weeks! But, good your body is getting ready, as long as she bakes a good long time.

I always love the support I find on here, too! Glad to be able to give as well as get, even if I'm not as active.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    Oh, I hope that you don't feel too many contractions or too strong, because that could get old quickly in the next 9 weeks! But, good your body is getting ready, as long as she bakes a good long time.

I always love the support I find on here, too! Glad to be able to give as well as get, even if I'm not as active.
    Thanks a lot. I'm not always as active as right now. But as I have to slow down I sit in front of the computer often.
    Contractions slowed down the more I relax, so I just stay put and have my feed high.