Thread: Prayers Please

Unhappy Prayers Please

My grandmother is now in hospice and on the decline. She has not eaten anything for a week and the hospice will not feed her or give her water, so now she is without water, too. Apparently her DNR order says she is only to get drugs and no food/water or anything. I am not being updated as much as I would like but the last I heard they are not expecting her to last the weekend. I think I have missed some information because it doesn't make sense to me that a UTI and broken pelvis would put her into this state. When I visited she was sleeping and could only open her eyes, however I was told she was talking after I left, though her speech was slurred and hard to understand.

At this point all I am doing is praying that she leaves peacefully and is not in any pain. If you have time, could you please do the same? From what my family tells me, to see her now is painful to watch. So now I am not sure if I want to visit her again.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

Your grandmother and family are in my thoughts. I hope that she is able to pass quickly and peacefully.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Oh no. .I am so sorry. Prayers sent your way. Huge hugs.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Sorry about your grandma, but don't be distressed by the thought of her not eating or drinking. It is a natural part of the process. There is a good You Tube video that may bring you comfort, it's called Gone From Your Sight by Barbara Kearns.

Prayers for your family at this time.

BZ

Sending you all thoughts of comfort and peace.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Thanks ladies. We are going to go see her this afternoon. My children need to say goodbye to their great grandmother.

Saying goodbye is hard ...thinking of you and praying for peace and comfort all around
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Dayna I'm really sorry. I just went through the same thing with my grandma. She was only 67 and had pancreatic cancer but was on hospice for probably 6 months before she passed away in March. I'll be sure to say extra prayers for you and your family and taffy she can go peacefully. Not eating or drinking is totally normal. Also depending on her age a uti and broken pelvis can really take them down and quick. My grandpa passed away in oct after having a routine surgery. He just never really woke up afterwards.

Oh and you may want to go and say your goodbyes. My grandma went downhill quickly. We went down on a Sunday and she wasn't in bed. Monday we took our kids and she passed by that Friday. My kids were there the day before. They understand more then we give them credit for. Also I didn't force my kids to go in her room. If they didn't want to they didn't have to.

Stepping in to say I so sorry about your grandma. I am hoping so much for a peaceful passing.

Thank you all so much.

We did go in to see her today. She didn't look bad at all and I am glad for that. No wires or tubes all over - just a catheter and oxygen tube in her nose. She opened her eyes when I started talking to my Mom and her DH. Then her eyes followed me around the room so I went over and talked to her for a bit. Her pupils were like tiny pinpricks, so I am sure she didn't see me clearly. She didn't act like she understood me and my Mom told me that she didn't recognize any of them earlier the day before and that she got hysterical from pain. They had her on a pain patch so she didn't have pain. I think she recognized me, or at least I hope she did. I talked to her a bit and told her I loved her. She didn't react or respond to what I said - not sure that she could. Then we all gathered around and sang some gospel songs for her, specifically One Day at a Time and I'll Fly Away. On our way out, my DH went and kissed her on the forehead and she opened her eyes and looked directly at him for a while. So I went up and kissed her as well and told her, "I will see you later, either here or there, but either way I will see you later". Then my kids went up and told her goodbye. DS1 waved goodbye and DD said, "Goodbye Nanny" and "I love you". Neither of them seemed to feel uncomfortable.

It was not a bad experience overall, though I hate knowing she is dying. This same thing happened when her DH died (my grandaddy). He refused to eat and starved to death. I got emotional when singing to her. Some of my best memories are of my grandparents and family all gathering together to sing hymns. My love of music and comes from them. I will miss my Nanny!

Quote Originally Posted by daynasrose View Post
    Thank you all so much.

We did go in to see her today. She didn't look bad at all and I am glad for that. No wires or tubes all over - just a catheter and oxygen tube in her nose. She opened her eyes when I started talking to my Mom and her DH. Then her eyes followed me around the room so I went over and talked to her for a bit. Her pupils were like tiny pinpricks, so I am sure she didn't see me clearly. She didn't act like she understood me and my Mom told me that she didn't recognize any of them earlier the day before and that she got hysterical from pain. They had her on a pain patch so she didn't have pain. I think she recognized me, or at least I hope she did. I talked to her a bit and told her I loved her. She didn't react or respond to what I said - not sure that she could. Then we all gathered around and sang some gospel songs for her, specifically One Day at a Time and I'll Fly Away. On our way out, my DH went and kissed her on the forehead and she opened her eyes and looked directly at him for a while. So I went up and kissed her as well and told her, "I will see you later, either here or there, but either way I will see you later". Then my kids went up and told her goodbye. DS1 waved goodbye and DD said, "Goodbye Nanny" and "I love you". Neither of them seemed to feel uncomfortable.

It was not a bad experience overall, though I hate knowing she is dying. This same thing happened when her DH died (my grandaddy). He refused to eat and starved to death. I got emotional when singing to her. Some of my best memories are of my grandparents and family all gathering together to sing hymns. My love of music and comes from them. I will miss my Nanny!
    My heart is seriously breaking for you. It makes me cry just thinking about it. The pain of losing both my grandparents on different sides of the family in such a short amount of time is still so fresh for me. When my grandpa was dying he was on a vent and our family choose to pull the plug basically. After the vent was pulled out we all sang hymns to him as well. Gah again I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Dayna, I'm so sorry, you and your family are in my thoughts. Big hugs to you. Wishing your grandmother peace and comfort tonight.

Oh Dayna, I am so sorry. Lots of prayers for her, and all of your family.
    Jennifer

My grandmother passed away this morning at 9am CST.

I'm so sorry for your loss . Sending lots of prayers for comfort and peace !!

I'm glad you got to say goodbye
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Stepping in to say I am very sorry for your loss.

I am sorry for your loss and really glad that your whole family had the opportunity to say goodbye.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I'm sorry for your loss.

Elizabeth - 4/30/14

I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

Thank you everyone. It has been a long day.

sending lots of prayers your way.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

Quote Originally Posted by daynasrose View Post
    My grandmother passed away this morning at 9am CST.
    I'm so very sorry. So glad you got to say your goodbyes.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Dayna! I'm so glad you got to go see her one last time. Lots of prayers!
    Jennifer

Sorry for your loss. I am glad she didn't suffer too long and now soul is happy in a better place. Huge hugs.