Thread: Twin or full

Default Twin or full

I am in the child sleeps w me because it's easier camp. However, it is time to put a bed in her room. I keep going back and forth between twin or full mainly because I know I may spend some time in there w her and she is used to sleeping in a queen.

Her room is kinda small but I am willing to sacrifice space. What would you do? What's in your kid's room?
    Last edited by SeptemberMom; 05-03-2014 at 01:37 AM.

I am kind of old fashioned and didn't have a full sized bed until I was almost through college so I can't believe that there are toddlers with full sized beds lol. That said I guess whatever works for you is best. We would never have the space for that and quite honestly if they go to away to college they will be in for a very rude awakening if they are used to a full !

If you think YOU will be more comfortable in it and you have the space maybe that is best. Personally I would go for the twin.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Yes, personally, I would go with the twin, too.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Yeah, I agree with the others, I'd do a twin. I had a twin until I got married.
    Jennifer

I also had a twin until i was married, and i have kids sharing rooms so they all have twins as well.

Twin it is

Full! I just spent two hours sleeping with my 3-year-old and would have been miserable if we were in a twin. If you've got the room, why not?

We went with a full too. I didn't want to change once they got to their teens.

Full. Growing up, I always had a full. I had the same set from the time I was 3/4 until now when we go home to visit. We sacrifice some space in DS2's room, but they don't play in their rooms too often.

Blog Entries

For you, it sounds like a full would work better since you plan to be in there with her, too.

I slept in a twin until I was married (I graduated, moved back home then got married a few months later).
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I would go with Full, plus it will be grown into when she gets older. I had a full growing up it was wonderful!

Twin. I had a twin growing up and played a lot in my room. I already have a twin in the nursery.....for guests, for me to sit on, for sleeping near baby when sick, and for use as a changing area. When kid is out of the crib, the twin bed it is. Maybe a more fun frame though like a mini loft or something themed....depends on the kid.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

When DS moved to his own room, we chose to give him a queen size mattress because we dealt with a lot of sleep issues and it was easiest if we stayed with him. I never really slept in his room all night but I have spent a lot of time there. I definitely had a lot more comfort on the queen size mattress (many nights it was a life-saver). The kids have twin beds now but I do not spend time with them at night beyond cuddles before they go to sleep. So I would go with the full, you can always replace it later when your child does not need you as much at night.

Full. I end up sleeping in there with her a lot, and there is no way to do it on a twin. Plus, there is no way to butt it up against a wall, so we have minimized falling out of bed issues with this. It's a small-ish space, only 10 x 9, but it still fits just fine.

It guess it really depends per situation for us we've never co-slept so a twin works out fine. Cody is a tall boy for our family at least but, he has plenty of room and plenty of growing room in a twin sized bed. With that being said it depends if you plan on co-sleeping on occasion go for a full but, if not do a twin.

Full here too...our girls rooms are ok sized, they fit the bed, little side table and dresser...not much room for toys in there but it's ok. We often end up laying with them for books or just some extra snuggles before bed.
    Lindsay, DH - Matt and 2DDs

LOL, I've done a lot of sleeping in toddler beds, twin beds, and even the crib on occasion with my toddlers so a full sounds heavenly in comparison...I'd totally go for the bigger size if you have the room !

My 14y/o dd has a full-size bed with drawers in the base and a shelved headboard (my fil built it)...her room is 10x10 and it's a perfect set up imo .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I'd go with full if you have the room. It can double as and extra guest bed, too. My 2 yr old is in a twin in his room and my 5 yr old has a twin over full bunkbed I his room that we picked up on a deal I couldn't pass up. The kids LOOOOOOVE playing in/on the bunkbed and making a "tent" by hanging a blanket over the side from the top bunk. So, my vote is.... bunkbed I guess. But seriously, between a twin or full, I'd get a full.
    ~Andrea~

I never had anything bigger than a twin in my room and even though I'm short I hated it. We recently bought Josh a queen size for his room because it looks like he's going to be tall like DH who was over 6 feet tall by 6th grade and was really uncomfortable in his twin bed.

My DS1 has a full because I spent a lot of time with him. We coslept, and having a full sized bed in his room made the transition a lot easier on all of us.

we plan to go twin. one for each kid. right now ds has a queen bed and the dog takes up 1/2 of it. once he gets a twin that is not on the floor the dog will not be allowed on the bed (not that he could get up on top of a bed anyways)
    dd is still in a crib and we will convert it to a toddler bed before investing in her big girl twin size bed.

I've slept many a night in a twin bed with my 3 year old. It's not ideal, but it's doable. We have his on the floor (bottom of a small IKEA bunk bed setup) so I think that aids in my being more comfortable ... I'm not worried about falling out of the bed.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I'm a bigger woman and I could fall asleep in a twin with a toddler if needed. Wasn't ideal but I do recall being in college and sharing a twin with my DH since college dorms all come with twin beds and he had a twin at his house.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Define bigger . I am plus size

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I'm a bigger woman and I could fall asleep in a twin with a toddler if needed. Wasn't ideal but I do recall being in college and sharing a twin with my DH since college dorms all come with twin beds and he had a twin at his house.

Every family and situation is different. What worked for other people may not work for you. So if you think you will be spending a lot of time in there with her, and you will be cramped in a twin, get a full. If you think it will be a short transition for her, and you would rather have the space, get a twin.

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberMom View Post
    Define bigger . I am plus size
    I have always been plus sized too. In college I was briefly an 18/20 but most of it was bigger. Don't get me wrong, two adults is a tight fit but we managed the five years before we got married. Wasn't every night since we didn't live together but was often enough. I mean I have never seen a college dorm that didn't have twins (usually extra long but definitely the twin width). The trick is to put up against the wall.

I have no trouble in the twin I have now and can easily fit one of my dogs....which are about toddler sized.

It just depends on whatever you think will work for you. I had a queen in the nursery when it was a guest room and it basically left room for a dresser and nothing else. A twin makes so much difference. I have a dresser, crib, shelving, and a big open space on the floor for playing. My DH and I both grew up playing in our rooms and in our ranch house we only have one living room. So the idea of a kid not playing in their room or keeping most of their toys in there is really foreign to us.

My twin also doubles as a guest bed. We live 4-6 hours from all the family. So if a couple visits, they go in my room and I take the twin and my DH takes the futon in the office. If a single person comes, they get the twin.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36