Thread: Genetic Counseling appt :)

Default Genetic Counseling appt :)

It went fantastically! I talked with the counselor for about an hour...she was very thorough with family history. I do have a genetic condition called periventricular heterotopia (PH) so she's referring me to an adult counselor (she's a fetal diagnostics genetic counselor). One theory is that my 2nd tri losses were caused by this condition so she'd like more info to consider . She said I could get the MaternitT21 testing if I liked, but insurance doesn't usually cover it and their lab caps it at $200 so that would be the most it would cost us. I told her I'd go with the 1st tri screening for now and if that suggests an issue I'll go ahead with the MT21 testing OR if I find out insurance does cover it and she said anytime is fine, just let them know so they can get the order in the computer for me.

They did an u/s for an accurate NT and oh.my.word. my baby is PRECIOUS !!!!!!!!! She was wiggling all over...kept arching her back and bouncing around, kicking, and petting her face/head . The tech said baby looks perfect and NT measurements were great . HR was 163 and she is measuring spot on 11wks+5 . It was amazing and it was all on a big HD, flat screen on the wall in front of me, lol, so no craning my neck to try to get a good view of the u/s monitor . Oh...and the tech said he didn't see anything he would call a sch...just that my placenta is very vascular which is totally normal. He said if I was actively bleeding behind my placenta or if there was a clot he'd be able to see it and he didn't see anything that would suggest that . LOL, and he gave me practically a whole photo-album worth of pics...I'll get one scanned later and post it.

After that the dr and counselor came in to talk with me together a little more to let me know everything looks good at this point and gave me the paperwork for the lab. I went to the lab to get a finger poke for the b/w part of the first tri screen and the results should be in my early next week.

I left there feeling really optimistic...they are all so positive and encouraging ! The whole atmosphere there is just lovely...it's a HUGE hospital, but they have people literally everywhere to help you find where you're supposed to be (even the parking garage attendants are awesome), and it's actually a beautiful hospital with lots of gorgeous art pieces and inspiring quotes.

Anyway, there was so much else I wanted to remember to share, but after 3 appts this morning and now shifting gears to take my dd shopping for her 7th bday today, my brain is in a bit of a whirlwind, lol, I'm sure once the day settles it'll come to me and I'll reply
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

sounds like all wonderful news!! Do you already know it is a girl or are you just hoping so?
    Me-Kelly (29) DH-Phillip (33) 2 unexplained losses. Ready for a rainbow baby!

amazing news!
    Lizzy (28) DH (27) DH diagnosed with CBAVD 6/2013 TTC since 10/2011 STC since 10/2012 5 "fur"kids

Quote Originally Posted by kellyh View Post
    sounds like all wonderful news!! Do you already know it is a girl or are you just hoping so?
    LOL, it's just habit...I always say she because until our last baby we had 5 girls and only 2 boys biologically (we have one adopted boy) and my youngest bio son was 10 when our last ds was born (he's 2yrs old) so now I just say "she" since it seems most statistically probable .

ahh okay I understand! How did adopted bio son get so lucky to get you guys! What an amazing family!! Congrats again on the positive appointment!
    Me-Kelly (29) DH-Phillip (33) 2 unexplained losses. Ready for a rainbow baby!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyh View Post
    ahh okay I understand! How did adopted bio son get so lucky to get you guys! What an amazing family!! Congrats again on the positive appointment!
    Haha, we feel like it's the other way around, lol, poor kid could have had any family and got stuck with us, but we get him for keeps !!! Every day is better because he's in our lives !

Sounds like a wonderful appt!!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Oh...and the tech was fabulous! He took time to show me both of baby's arms, hands, legs, and feet...talked almost the entire time about baby, laughed when she was jumping all over, and explained everything he was doing as he did it .

I just called insurance about the MaterniT21 test and apparently my provider has 2 billing codes for it...one is completely covered, but the other has to be "reviewed" *after* submitted which makes no sense! So there's no way to know until they send us the bill ?? I'm going to write my questions down, get the billing codes from fetal diagnostics myself, and call them back for further clarification .

Ohhhhhhhh how wonderful Kelly!!!! Sounds so amazing!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Sounds so wonderful kelly.!!!! Cant believe you are nearly 12 weeks already.!!! Time flies

So if they couldn't find a SCH, did they have any suggestions for the bleeding? That's very interesting about PH and the question about whether or not it caused your 2nd tri losses. Did the counselor advise any treatment/course of action if indeed there is a connection?

I'm so glad that your appointment went so well and that you like the hospital and the staff. That is fantastic!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    So if they couldn't find a SCH, did they have any suggestions for the bleeding? That's very interesting about PH and the question about whether or not it caused your 2nd tri losses. Did the counselor advise any treatment/course of action if indeed there is a connection?

I'm so glad that your appointment went so well and that you like the hospital and the staff. That is fantastic!
    Like anything "vascular" (inside your nose, for example)...it's going to bleed a little when disturbed . Which makes sense since some people get nosebleeds at the drop of a hat and others will never have a nosebleed in their lives. That's my analogy based on what I understood him to be saying anyway . He also said it doesn't mean I *never* had a sch...just that he does not see any evidence of one now.

And the PH...there's nothing that can be done unfortunately. It would just be more info for us to have which not only may benefit us, but also our children and possibly our grandchildren. The genetic condition is usually mild in girls/women, but can cause specific heart defects, learning disabilities, and/or seizures (usually beginning in the teen years). It is generally considered lethal in boys since it is x-linked...they will either miscarry, be stillborn, or die in early infancy. Both of my 2nd tri losses are boys.

Mine was an incidental finding on an mri about 9yrs ago...I'm asymptomatic, but knowing I have the condition gives us a head's up with my own children. They'll be looking at our baby's heart and brain more closely now that they know there may be an increased risk for abnormalities. At home it helps because I can watch for red flags that may signal learning disabilities and if, God forbid, any of my kids develop seizures we'll at least have a starting point. Knowledge is power

Oh...that reminds me...they're sending for my medical records from my 2nd tri losses. The dr was very interested in seeing the path reports from the placental tissue.

They were really concerned about my family history of clotting issues and asked about when I had my protein C and S testing. Apparently since my betas were elevated at the time (I was waiting for them to drop) my testing may not be accurate. They said the baby aspirin I'm taking is sufficient, but a clotting disorder can't be entirely ruled out at this point.

So happy for you Kelli!

Anna (36), DH (47), Little Man (4), , Little Lady (brand new!)

And I really cannot say enough good things about their professional yet warm friendliness . Rarely do I go to a dr and don't feel like I'm somehow not an equal. It was wonderful to be talked to like an intelligent human being and have my thoughts and feelings regarded as valid. They even apologized for having to ask difficult questions about my losses realizing I've probably had to repeat the information somewhat frequently.

Oh...and there was a mix up at the lab. They didn't see the order for my b/w and asked who the ordering dr was. I told them the genetic counselor's name, but couldn't remember the dr's name I spoke with so they called my OB. Well, the last time I talked with my OB I had said I wasn't going to get the screening so he had the lab tech put me on the phone to clarify. I told him he's correct, but after reading up on it more and discussing it with the genetic counselor I decided to go ahead with it and he said he just wanted to make sure. Then he asked me how I was doing and if there was anything at all he could do for me...so not "all business"...it was fantastic! I was impressed...his day was interrupted by an unexpected call from the lab and he not only took the time to get it straightened out, but also to ask me how I was doing...awesome .

Honestly.....a little jealous! Your new practice sounds great!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Great appointment! Yay Kelly and baby !!!

That is wonderful! Which hospital? Sounds fantastic.

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

Sounds like a great appointment Kelly!!!

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by sara1215 View Post
    That is wonderful! Which hospital? Sounds fantastic.
    University of Michigan Von Voigtlander Women's hospital (it's the new part of the same building as Mott's children's hospital) .

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    University of Michigan Von Voigtlander Women's hospital (it's the new part of the same building as Mott's children's hospital) .
    I have never been to that specific part, but that hospital in general is just so nice. Feels like a hotel. And they treat their employees great, from what I hear.

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sara1215 View Post
    I have never been to that specific part, but that hospital in general is just so nice. Feels like a hotel. And they treat their employees great, from what I hear.
    It does feel like a hotel, lol, there was a woman in the lobby yesterday taking pics. It must have been her first visit...it appeared she was there with who I'm guessing are her son and grandson (he looked less than a year old and had Down's) .

The only difficult part about going there is seeing kiddos whose illnesses are obvious...it's so heartbreaking sometimes . Yet, they're getting amazing care so although it's sad to see them suffering, it's comforting to know they're exactly where they need to be .

Sounds like a fantastic experience. And no bouncing from door to door to get info. Glad there is no sch at this point and the baby is doing well! Hope lab comes back negative as well!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook