Thread: trampolines

Default trampolines

Warnings and stats about injuries https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/tr...182557974.html
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 04-29-2014 at 08:27 PM.

I had a trampoline growing up and had lots of fun on it. While it is good to know of the risks it won't dissuade me from necessarily getting one for the kids when they get older.

Quote Originally Posted by anonsouthernbell View Post
    I had a trampoline growing up and had lots of fun on it. While it is good to know of the risks it won't dissuade me from necessarily getting one for the kids when they get older.
    This is how I feel. I had friends with trampolines and it was a great time. I had a small fall without serious injury once but, I took it easy was more careful after that.
    *** Lindsay ***

We have had a large outdoor trampoline *WITH the nets* since 2011 (the trio were 3)...no injuries so far *knock on wood*. I think getting my kids on ours young has been good..they don't do crazy stuff, they kinda know the ins and outs and it is not some new toy to be reckless on.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Blog Entries

I really want a trampoline! They do have the spring free ones now and the nets are really good. I do still know that you can be injured.

I really wonder what the stats are for bike riding? Diving? Dancing? Gymnastics? There are risks with just about everything that we do and I do wonder if the risks are so much higher for trampolines than these other things.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Excellent question.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I really want a trampoline! They do have the spring free ones now and the nets are really good. I do still know that you can be injured.

I really wonder what the stats are for bike riding? Diving? Dancing? Gymnastics? There are risks with just about everything that we do and I do wonder if the risks are so much higher for trampolines than these other things.
    I was wondering the same. I've honestly hear more about accidents with bike riding though I don't know the statistics. The thing is we need to be careful and take precautions but, that does not mean to live in a bubble (which I know you were not saying I just mean in general).
    *** Lindsay ***

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I think this is a good point. How about pools? Drowning is the leading cause of death for children (at least the young ones). But everyone says that you have to teach your kids to swim, have pool safety devices (fence, alarm) ... instead of having a campaign to eliminate pools and remove access to natural bodies of water. I think it would make more sense to educate parents on the risks and encourage supervision and safe habits on trampolines. Just like we tell kids to wear helmets while biking or doing other sports like skiing - instead of saying biking is bad.

I personally wouldn't have one. But if I did, I would ask the insurance company about extra coverage if anyone other than my child used it. I am worried about a bad landing inuring the spine.....where on a bike, it's mostly just scrapes and bruises when one falls. Especially if wearing a helmet.

I grew up with a pool and my parents did have extra insurance....as well as a fenced yard (6ft fence) and locks on the gates to try to prevent uninvited use.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I have several friends who are orthopedic PA's and I casually sort of know one orthopedic surgeon. NONE of them will let their kids have trampolines. Apparently the injuries they see from them are a lot worse than the injuries they see from bikes, monkey bars, etc. My 5.5yo son sometimes goes to one of those trampoline play places with DH. He's managed to sprain his ankle once there. And I know of two kids who broke legs at that place. So, no trampolines at my house.

We've had trampolines for over 10yrs and only once did we have an issue. DS jumped off and hurt his foot when he was 8yrs old, but xrays were fine and he was walking on it the next day. After that we put our trampoline at ground level (buried it) which the kids loved...it was impossible to fall off obviously. We've moved since then (left the trampoline since taking it would leave a huge whole in the yard, lol). Our new trampoline is 2yrs old and has a net around it and zero injuries since purchasing it...not so much as a bloody lip from bumping into each other .

We have super high energy kiddos and it has been ideal, for us.

Oh...and it has not been an issue for our home insurance.

I do have to laugh a little considering how many injuries my kids have had from tripping over nothing at all in the house, toppling off couches/chairs/beds, running into walls, running into each other, eesh even choking on soft foods, etc... . I think just being a kid is risky business...sometimes I wonder how any of us survived !!!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I wouldn't get a trampoline... But I have accident prone kids. My dd just had a cast for a fracture in her foot from slipping on a towel!!

Ibis: thanks for posting. I think it is good to know stats and make decision based on that. I have also heard that trampoline injuries could be very serious. We used to have a trampoline but my younger son was so crazy on it, that I had to get rid of it. It was great for my first son who is high in energy but more cautious by nature. My second one, however, is very athletic and loves to do the most insane things so for him it was not worth the risk....

ETA: I was not even worried about broken bones, I was worried about debilitating neck and spinal injuries LOL
    Last edited by tanyachap; 05-03-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Never will I have a trampoline. A good friend of mine is a pediatric physical therapist. She has seen too many major injuries caused by trampolines, including 2 quadriplegic children being serviced at her facility. She has warned all of us against trampolines (meanwhile, her daughter is learning to snowboard and skateboard, so it's not out of fear of injury that she is warning us). One of DS's friends had a broken femur from one of those public jumping places.
    There are things you can do to prevent injury wen doing things like swimming (learn how to swim/use flotation devices) or riding a bike (wearing a helmet or even other pads), but really there is nothing you can do to prevent jumping up high and landing the wrong way.