Thread: Porters birth story!

Default Porters birth story!

Birth story! Sorry it's taken nearly 2 weeks to post this.
    I got the call at just after 8am to come in by 9am on April 17th. We got there just after 9 and by 10am I was all hooked up to pitocin. You can feel the effects of pitocin literally within 30 mins. It was just a low cramping. They upped the pitocin by 4 every half hour. They checked me once when I got to the hospital, so I started out at 4 on pit and got up to 20 pretty quick. They will not go higher than 20. By noon I'm up to 20 and we just basically sat there and waited. I was having regular contractions every 2-3 mins apart. I enjoy watching them on the screen as I feel them coming on. They had texted my ob to let him know and I was told all he said was okay. The nurse felt helpless because she couldn't do anything for me and I was having no pain.

Because I was gbs + I had to have penicillin every 4 hours until delivery. I got my 2nd dose at 2pm and that's when my ob showed up to break my water. He wanted to wait to get me on my 2nd dose going before he broke my water, said it was better for baby that way. When he checked me I had only gone up to 3cm. I was so depressed that sitting at 20 on pit had done so very little for me. He broke my water and it was clear and looked great.

By 3pm I asked for the epi. Contractions to me before are no big deal it's kind of like you hear someone talking on a microphone but it's muffled and then all of a sudden it gets loud. The anesthesiologist came in super quick and he was excellent! In no time at all he had my epi in. With my first I laid in bed and curled in a ball with my 2nd and 3rd I sat at the edge of the bed. My husband sat in front of me and just held my hand as I had contractions and the epi placed.

Once the epi is placed you obviously can't get up so they empty your bladder with a cath every so often. Also they start to regularly check you about every hour.

I was checked at 5pm and had gone from 3cm to 5-6cm. The nurse tells me she's going to slowly start getting things ready because sometimes it goes quick after you get to 5cm. She tells me if I start feeling pressure to let her know. She comes in at 6 and checks me and I'm still only sitting at 6cm. I think oh great I have forever to go still.

At a quarter to 7 I all of a sudden feel a ton of pressure and feel baby in my butt. It's the weirdest and coolest feeling ever. I call the nurse she comes in and checks me and said I was ready. She calls my ob and starts getting the room ready. She calls the nurse from peds to come and my ob shows up in slacks, shirt and tie lol. He was called out of a meeting. He asks if he has time to change and the nurse told him if he wants but I'm ready. He looks at me in the stirrups and said let's just have this baby. I wonder if he saw baby crowning or something. He gowns up and sits down. I have 1 contraction I push those 3 times and he tells me baby has dark hair and that I'm doing awesome. 2nd contraction hits and I push once he tells me to stop because if I push to hard and fast I'll tear. He just wants babies head to come out on its own. He tells me this funny story about a couple he delivered twins for when he lived in England (Air Force). Baby is out at 7:04 literally all it took was 2 full contractions. He puts baby on my chest, clamps the cord dh cuts the cord and he helps me wipe baby off. The peds nurse then notices that he's having a hard time breathing just kind of grunting.

She takes him to get him cleaned better and crying harder. He did pass his apgars at 8 and 9. But his o2 level was down to 84. She puts him on a Cpap for 5 mins to see if that helps and calls the respiratory therapist. It doesn't help so off to nicu they go to put him on another Cpap for an hour. Before they take him to nicu though my ob gets me taken care of. I deliver the placenta had a 1st degree tear only needed 3 stitches. He leaves and has no idea my baby is about to be in the nicu.

My dh went with baby and the nurse brought me a sandwich right away and cleaned up my room, removed my epi and wiped me up. I stayed in there for about an hour and a half. Baby failed the 1 hour Cpap test and that's when he's admitted to the nicu. On my way to recovery I got to stop and touch his feet but couldn't hold him. Only held him for the few mins he was on my chest. Dh only got to hold him up for me to see as they leave to take him to nicu. I tell dh not to leave his side so he updates me through text.

My kids come in my room, they did get to see their brother through the window at the nicu before they admitted him. I cuddled them for a bit and then my mom took them home. My dad comes in to see me and gets ready to leave and that's when I break down. I know that once I see him and hold him I'll do better. By the time all my family leave my epi has worn off enough for me to go see him. I went down at 11pm came back to my room at 1am pumped and rested until 2:45 when my nurse has to come check my bleeding and then until 4 when she brings me more pain meds. At 4 my dh went down to check on him and they had him weaned off Cpap and onto high flow air so we can hold him. We literally spent the rest of the time in the nicu holding him and waiting for updates.

Once we are home we still do bili tests. We find out he's jaundiced and had to go on the lights for a few days. Poor kid had an exciting week of life. We go today for his 2 week check up. I have no idea how to post a picture from my iPad sorry.

I'm glad things are leveling off and he's doing well!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

So glade he is doing well. Sorry for the jaundice :/ I hope everything goes perfectly at his 2 week appointment! Let us know!

Chelsea Deven (5 years)
    DS- Dean(4 years), Dean's twin 8 weeks DS-Logan(3 years), DD-Hannah(1 year), DD- Abigail(1 month), We're a big family and loving every minute of it

What an ordeal so glad hes doing better congratulations on your little man!

Ali (28) dh (28)love since 2006 8 angels who left us too soon

I hope Porters check up goes well! Stalking
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Great birth story, but so scary about Porter's breathing! So glad he is doing well now. Can't wait to hear about his check up

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

His 2 week check up went perfect! He weighs 8lbs so he's just 3oz shy of his birth weight. Doctor said he noticed the yellow of his skin going away. His lungs sounded perfect! Overall great appt and we go back at 2 months.

Awww, what a great birth story !! I'm so sorry he had to be in nicu for a bit and the bili-lights are a bummer, but so glad you are both doing so well now !!!! Seriously, great job momma !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Aww, what a great story! So glad to hear that Porter is doing so well! Congratulations mama!
    Jennifer

Beautiful story. Sorry you had a rough start but glad he is doing well now!!!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

I read this yesterday but my emotions got the better of me and I couldn't reply right away.

I'm so glad you two are both well and so many congrats!!!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Congrats! <3
    Me: Heather {28}, DH: Tahee {30}, & Baby Boy: Carter {born July 2, 2014}... makes three

Glad to hear that Porter is doing good and the check up went well.

Thanks everyone! I told my dh last night that I'm so glad we decided to go for a 3rd baby! Love this sweet baby boy so much!

Sorry I am so late to post. Wonderful birth story and great news that he is doing well!
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

Thank you all!!