Thread: Help!!! 2.7 old son doesnt wants to be with mommy and daddy :(

Question Help!!! 2.7 old son doesnt wants to be with mommy and daddy :(

Hi all,

How are you all doing? Its been a long time since i visited APA. My son usually is very loving boy who loves to play and be with me and his daddy. But recently he wants to go home with other kid's mommys. It has been happening for the past one month and it drives me nuts. Almost every day the outdoor playtime ends being a disaster with him screaming his lungs out. I understand he wants to play with them and so he behaves that way. I try everyday to make him understand that he has to come back to home after his playtime but now i dont know what to do. i dont have the heart to cut down on his playtime as he enjoys that a lot. But its kind of embarrassing when he clings to other moms and doesnt come to me. I know it sounds ridiculous but it hurts to hear when he says "I dont want mommy". He is usually a friendly kid with everybody and we used to encourage him a lot when he was little. But now i feel we have done something wrong as he wants to go home with strangers

Any advice on what can i do plzzzzzzzz....
    Me(29), DH(33), 08/26/2010

I hate to trivialize this but, I feel like its pretty normal for a child to want to branch out. I know its hurtful when he says " I don't want mommy" but at 2.5 years he doesn't understand that impact. He is expressing himself the only way can. How often and how long is with others? Are you a SAHM?

Yea I am a SAHM and he gets to play with other kids every evening. We are thinking of sending him to some half-day pre-school program soon. I hope maybe that helps him and me as well

Yes my second born did that for a while. Sometime still does that when he really wants to play instead of go home. I am a sahm very interactive parent. But my second is very independent for his age. I don't let it bother me. He goes in phases. It gets better. Don't get upset about it. Its nothing you do. Just he is trying to express he is having fun at This very present and can't take his mind off the immediate gratification.

Yea, i understand. Maybe i am just getting stressed over nothing and wanted to rant. But thank you so much guys for listening and replying. Sometimes it gets really difficult to do things our way between other "watchful eyes", if you know what i mean.

Thanks guys, you are the best.

My advice? Enjoy it. 3 is harder. LOL! That is all VERY normal though, my 4.5 year old still does this! "I don't want you! I want them! I want her!" They are starting to develop an interest and realization that there are other people on the planet other than mom and dad, and are very excited to learn more about them. New things are always so much more fun. Just make yourself aware that you know your child's feelings. Like... "I know you do, wouldn't that be fun? But we have to go home and cook dinner, want to help me cook?" And then he might object to that too, but you want him to know you're hearing him and understanding his interests, and not just blowing him off. (2 year olds are dramatic...)

And yes, you may want to get used to looking like you're abducting a child from the park at the rate your child will scream and kick and yell at you. It does happen. Not all kids do it. But my son does... LOL. Its all very normal. Sit back and enjoy your child's interests, talk to him about other people and what makes them so interesting, and then talk about each other and see if you can name off reasons why each of you are interesting too!

Easier said than done I know.
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

"And yes, you may want to get used to looking like you're abducting a child from the park at the rate your child will scream and kick and yell at you."

LOL.. thats how i feel exactly, MamaToe88. But, nice to know I am not alone in this path. And thanks for the advice, it helped me a lot.