The Labor and Delivery of Kayla Rain Garrison
I had been having prodromal labor for weeks and weeks. On the night of the 24th contractions started again at 5 minutes apart and one minute long. Since they were pretty strong and I was 41 weeks I called the hospital and we went in. They probably would have sent me away because I was
just a hair outside of 2 cm. However I was dehydrated and had high blood pressure they decided to keep me over night for observation and talk to my midwife about my Symptoms. Also the baby did not look super good to them on the monitor. After several Blood pressure checks it was clear that my blood pressure was not going down. I had protein in my urine and my platelets also pointed to pre-e. My midwive decided because of may factors I would have to be induced. They still left it up to me, but said it was the best option. I decided since I was overdue, baby was measuring big, High blood pressure, baby not looking great on the monitor were all factors that lead us to believe that our risk waiting for labor to progress on it's own were too great. So in the morning I was to start pitocin. They wanted me to sleep. By that time it was 3 am already, I was worried excited and already having contractions.
I got about 1-2 hours of sleep when I woke up for a contraction and my sister was on the phone with her husband in our room. In hindsight I would have got a lot more sleep if I told her to take her conversation to the waiting room. Slowly the nurses came around checking on me. The midwife came in and explained everything and the order for pit was made. They only let me have clear liquids from then on. I really needed rest and food. I wish I would have asked for a day of monitoring and rest before labor. Pit was started at 2ml around 9:00am. Right away I could feel the contractions get stronger
but not by much. They raised it by 2ml the next hour and kept adjusting monitors. It turns out the Kayla's heartbeat was deceling after contractions and she was not having enough variables. These were signs that she was not tolerating the pitocin. They gave me the risks and said that a c-section might be a better option. We talked about it and did not want to end up in an emergency situation. We were going to get a section. The OB doctor came in and explained everything and said she felt like we might be rushing into a section. And that she thought Kayla Might be able to handle it. We could just keep on going and if she did not get better or got worse we would stop pit immediately and go to section. So with that we kept on going. pit got to 14ml/ hour and the contractions were pretty intense. They had the contractions that they wanted. But thought I could progress if my waters were broke. They broke my waters which was one of the weirdest sensations I had ever felt. And no mistaking waters
braking for sure. lol They just kept coming out too. And contractions got SUPER intense fast. I was still tolerating them but needed to breath concentrate and have counter pressure to get through them. They were getting so hard they turned the pit down until it was off.I was in active labor without
Any help at all! A cervical check determined I was 4cm They promised if My bp came down a little I could get in the bath. It did with medication and they got the bath going. At some point they had placed a monitor on the inside to determine how strong my contractions were. It is all so blurry that I forget when that happened, but it was some time before pit got turned all the way off. Anyway they had to bag and tape the cords and I was off to the bath. It was really hard because laying on my back was intolerable at that point. The bath was GREAT!It felt so good. I spent a little over an hour in there.
The contractions got stronger, but further apart. They wanted me to get out for a while because the wireless monitors did not work as well as the wired ones. Contractions were horrible outside the bath. I started to not deal with the contractions well. They were stronger but still getting less frequent. I felt like I needed to push and they kept telling me not to. I got checked and was at a stretchy 5. They said they had to turn the pit back on and I cried. With no food and little to no rest at all my body was exhausted. But on I labored. The contractions continued to get worse and worse I was loosing my focus. I really wanted to get back in the bath. And thank god they let me. They just wheeled me and the pit drip in. And I was able to take another 1 hour bath. I lost it in there no matter how much easier the water made labor. I was saying my safe word over and over. And asked for IV pain meds. They
relaxed me just enough to tolerate the contractions but it did not take the pain away at all. When they wanted me to get out I freaked. But they said they really could not keep track of us well while I was in there and the water was slowing things down too much. I started throwing up. My body was shaking all over I thought this must be transition. But in reality my body was fighting progression I was way too tense. Every contraction was a battle in my body and I was fighting against them No matter how hard I tried I could not get control bad. I could not breath. They checked me and she said I was at an 8! OMG YES! But that check was done by the apprentice and when the midwive checked she said 6 would be generous. I started To really loose it. I was hyperventilating and crying. I was so tired. I kept repeating "I can't...". They asked what I was thinking about doing. And I asked my options. Of course there was continue on with what I was doing and still Try to go semi natural. I could get More IV meds. Or I could get the Epidural. At this point they said I may relax and progress way better with the help. But it was up to me. Chances were getting stronger in favor for a section again without the epi. SO I broke down and got one. Before they gave me some more IV meds. The epi took FOREVER. I was poked 5 times according to my husband. Each time more and more blood. He said that I had scoliosis. I do not. But that is how bad my back has been. It is so out of alignment! They finally got it placed and it was heaven. My pain just melted away. They left me to rest for 3 hours. And I feel asleep immediately!
They came in to check and I was fully dilated! It worked! They said they would let me rest more so I could labor down and just "laugh the baby out" 2 hours latter it was time! I told them I promised that I would push good. And pushing was the BEST part of labor. 3 contractions 5 pushes and she was out! They said I was a rockstar pusher. When she came out she did not pink up immediately. And would not breath. SO we cut cord and she was given oxygen. They brought her back and we cried! She latched on immediately! but then she slid down... I turned her over and she was blue! They whisked her away
again for more suction and oxygen. And back she came. She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Kayla Rain Garrison born April 24th 2014 at 3:49am, 6lbs and 2 oz.
So my birthplan went out the window. It is okay. I got what I wanted. And that was choice and everyone letting me know just what was happening. And that is the important part. This delivery went the way it did because of medical necessity. Afterword they said I made the right decision by getting the epi because I would have probably ended with an emergency section. They also said if my labor was only 6-8 hours I would have been able to do it with no pain meds! Even with the pit! They said I did super good. So I am really proud of my labor even tho it was not natural like we hoped for. Fingers crossed for next time. We are hoping even if I am induced for medical necessity for things to go faster and smoother. I could go in with a full nights rest and food in my belly. If I have the energy I will be
able to do this pain medication free.