Thread: Birth Story!

Talking Birth Story!

The Labor and Delivery of Kayla Rain Garrison

I had been having prodromal labor for weeks and weeks. On the night of the 24th contractions started again at 5 minutes apart and one minute long. Since they were pretty strong and I was 41 weeks I called the hospital and we went in. They probably would have sent me away because I was
    just a hair outside of 2 cm. However I was dehydrated and had high blood pressure they decided to keep me over night for observation and talk to my midwife about my Symptoms. Also the baby did not look super good to them on the monitor. After several Blood pressure checks it was clear that my blood pressure was not going down. I had protein in my urine and my platelets also pointed to pre-e. My midwive decided because of may factors I would have to be induced. They still left it up to me, but said it was the best option. I decided since I was overdue, baby was measuring big, High blood pressure, baby not looking great on the monitor were all factors that lead us to believe that our risk waiting for labor to progress on it's own were too great. So in the morning I was to start pitocin. They wanted me to sleep. By that time it was 3 am already, I was worried excited and already having contractions.
    I got about 1-2 hours of sleep when I woke up for a contraction and my sister was on the phone with her husband in our room. In hindsight I would have got a lot more sleep if I told her to take her conversation to the waiting room. Slowly the nurses came around checking on me. The midwife came in and explained everything and the order for pit was made. They only let me have clear liquids from then on. I really needed rest and food. I wish I would have asked for a day of monitoring and rest before labor. Pit was started at 2ml around 9:00am. Right away I could feel the contractions get stronger
    but not by much. They raised it by 2ml the next hour and kept adjusting monitors. It turns out the Kayla's heartbeat was deceling after contractions and she was not having enough variables. These were signs that she was not tolerating the pitocin. They gave me the risks and said that a c-section might be a better option. We talked about it and did not want to end up in an emergency situation. We were going to get a section. The OB doctor came in and explained everything and said she felt like we might be rushing into a section. And that she thought Kayla Might be able to handle it. We could just keep on going and if she did not get better or got worse we would stop pit immediately and go to section. So with that we kept on going. pit got to 14ml/ hour and the contractions were pretty intense. They had the contractions that they wanted. But thought I could progress if my waters were broke. They broke my waters which was one of the weirdest sensations I had ever felt. And no mistaking waters
    braking for sure. lol They just kept coming out too. And contractions got SUPER intense fast. I was still tolerating them but needed to breath concentrate and have counter pressure to get through them. They were getting so hard they turned the pit down until it was off.I was in active labor without
    Any help at all! A cervical check determined I was 4cm They promised if My bp came down a little I could get in the bath. It did with medication and they got the bath going. At some point they had placed a monitor on the inside to determine how strong my contractions were. It is all so blurry that I forget when that happened, but it was some time before pit got turned all the way off. Anyway they had to bag and tape the cords and I was off to the bath. It was really hard because laying on my back was intolerable at that point. The bath was GREAT!It felt so good. I spent a little over an hour in there.
    The contractions got stronger, but further apart. They wanted me to get out for a while because the wireless monitors did not work as well as the wired ones. Contractions were horrible outside the bath. I started to not deal with the contractions well. They were stronger but still getting less frequent. I felt like I needed to push and they kept telling me not to. I got checked and was at a stretchy 5. They said they had to turn the pit back on and I cried. With no food and little to no rest at all my body was exhausted. But on I labored. The contractions continued to get worse and worse I was loosing my focus. I really wanted to get back in the bath. And thank god they let me. They just wheeled me and the pit drip in. And I was able to take another 1 hour bath. I lost it in there no matter how much easier the water made labor. I was saying my safe word over and over. And asked for IV pain meds. They
    relaxed me just enough to tolerate the contractions but it did not take the pain away at all. When they wanted me to get out I freaked. But they said they really could not keep track of us well while I was in there and the water was slowing things down too much. I started throwing up. My body was shaking all over I thought this must be transition. But in reality my body was fighting progression I was way too tense. Every contraction was a battle in my body and I was fighting against them No matter how hard I tried I could not get control bad. I could not breath. They checked me and she said I was at an 8! OMG YES! But that check was done by the apprentice and when the midwive checked she said 6 would be generous. I started To really loose it. I was hyperventilating and crying. I was so tired. I kept repeating "I can't...". They asked what I was thinking about doing. And I asked my options. Of course there was continue on with what I was doing and still Try to go semi natural. I could get More IV meds. Or I could get the Epidural. At this point they said I may relax and progress way better with the help. But it was up to me. Chances were getting stronger in favor for a section again without the epi. SO I broke down and got one. Before they gave me some more IV meds. The epi took FOREVER. I was poked 5 times according to my husband. Each time more and more blood. He said that I had scoliosis. I do not. But that is how bad my back has been. It is so out of alignment! They finally got it placed and it was heaven. My pain just melted away. They left me to rest for 3 hours. And I feel asleep immediately!
    They came in to check and I was fully dilated! It worked! They said they would let me rest more so I could labor down and just "laugh the baby out" 2 hours latter it was time! I told them I promised that I would push good. And pushing was the BEST part of labor. 3 contractions 5 pushes and she was out! They said I was a rockstar pusher. When she came out she did not pink up immediately. And would not breath. SO we cut cord and she was given oxygen. They brought her back and we cried! She latched on immediately! but then she slid down... I turned her over and she was blue! They whisked her away
    again for more suction and oxygen. And back she came. She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Kayla Rain Garrison born April 24th 2014 at 3:49am, 6lbs and 2 oz.

So my birthplan went out the window. It is okay. I got what I wanted. And that was choice and everyone letting me know just what was happening. And that is the important part. This delivery went the way it did because of medical necessity. Afterword they said I made the right decision by getting the epi because I would have probably ended with an emergency section. They also said if my labor was only 6-8 hours I would have been able to do it with no pain meds! Even with the pit! They said I did super good. So I am really proud of my labor even tho it was not natural like we hoped for. Fingers crossed for next time. We are hoping even if I am induced for medical necessity for things to go faster and smoother. I could go in with a full nights rest and food in my belly. If I have the energy I will be
    able to do this pain medication free.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

Stepping in! Waiting until 5 before the IV medication is amazing and waiting until 6 while on piticon for an epidural is even more amazing. You did an awesome job! That piticon stuff is rough. Its great to hear that you and Kayla are doing well now. She is precious!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2CodySophia0811 View Post
    Stepping in! Waiting until 5 before the IV medication is amazing and waiting until 6 while on piticon for an epidural is even more amazing. You did an awesome job! That piticon stuff is rough. Its great to hear that you and Kayla are doing well now. She is precious!
    Thank you! I was on pit for 15 hours before the epi! I feel good about it.

Congratulations Mariah! Kayla is beautiful! You did an amazing job bringing her into the world! My labor and delivery didn't go the way I wanted it to either, but you do what you have to do to keep everyone safe and healthy. Congrats again!
    Jennifer

Congratulations! You've done ab awesome job and thank God we have so many choices with labour which makes it safer for mom and baby. You did everything right and should not regret even the slightest. Huge hugs. She is precious.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

She is really beautiful. Congratulations.

Congratulations! Great job, Mama! She is beautiful! And she looks much bigger in her pic than a 6lb 2oz baby and I know since all my babies have been little. ;)

Sorry that you developed pre-e but it is good that you did not develop it earlier and were able to choose the option that worked best for you and your baby. Also so happy you were able to get relief from the epi and that it helped your progress. It is funny how we can stall labor because of how we tense up our body and stress out but I don't know of any FTM that isn't stressed out about birth/labor. I was a wreck!
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

I knew you'd totally ROCK momma ...your birth story made me cry, you are so strong and I'm so happy for you that you and Kayla are both doing well...she is an absolute DOLL !!!!!

I'll keep praying that the residual pre-e stuff resolves quickly !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Congratulations Mariah-she is gorgeous!

I'm glad that you have peace about her birth, because you should. I know I would have done the same in that situation with those facts presented to me. You're a rockstar-I had pit with my third baby and begged for drugs but my midwife was worried that she wouldn't tolerate it so I didn't get them, but that's the only reason. That experience have me a lot more understanding for women whose experiences were different than my first two easier births. The epi seems like it was a.lifesaver for you & I'm so glad you got that peaceful rest before your awesome pushing powers were unleashed! :highfive:

She truly is a beautiful little miracle baby. Enjoy every second!

She is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!! You did fantastic!!

Anna (36), DH (47), Little Man (4), , Little Lady (brand new!)

Congrats, she is so precious!!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Congratulations, Mama! She's a cutie!
    Sara: 31, DH: 33. After 19 months of STC, we caught an eggie! #1 is on its way!

Make a pregnancy ticker

thank you everyone!

Great birth story. You did awesome. I would be so thankful for a hospital staff that helped and were patient with you instead of just push to a c (unless obvious emergency). It will help so much not to he branded vbac if you have anymore. Trust me.

Also she is beautiful. Congrats.

Yay, kayla is beautiful!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

She is such a beauty!!!!

You are a rockstar Mariah, that is an amazing birth story! It sounds like you had a fantastic team to support you during your marathon of a labor, which makes all the difference. And the epi sounds like it came in the nick of time - I am working towards an unmedicated birth but I am open minded enough to know I might hit a point where I'll be asking for that epi (especially if pit is involved)!

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Melturtleluv View Post
    She is such a beauty!!!!

You are a rockstar Mariah, that is an amazing birth story! It sounds like you had a fantastic team to support you during your marathon of a labor, which makes all the difference. And the epi sounds like it came in the nick of time - I am working towards an unmedicated birth but I am open minded enough to know I might hit a point where I'll be asking for that epi (especially if pit is involved)!
    Yes! I knew there were medical needs for it. I did a lot of thought about all interventions. I was hard admitting that I was at that point. But one I did I felt much better about it.

Thank you for sharing your story! She is absolutely beautiful, great job momma! It's funny how similar our stories are (except that mine did end with a section). You are an amazing woman, Kayla is very lucky to have you as her mom!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akhiker View Post
    Thank you for sharing your story! She is absolutely beautiful, great job momma! It's funny how similar our stories are (except that mine did end with a section). You are an amazing woman, Kayla is very lucky to have you as her mom!
    I kept thinking of you! I remember reading your story and thinking how quickly things can change. Honestly your story was one of the reasons I tried to prepare myself that anything can happen in labor. And that really helped me on the big day. I kept in mine the strength and courage you had during your labor. How is your lovely family these days?

More pics from my birth

You can see just how swollen I got in that last week.

Laboring on pit... Everyone was concerned for Kayla

Bath time... and you can see I look better on the pb medicine.

Time to push! I was so tired... but also so happy!

Daddy love! <3

Baby Kayla and I. Swelling down after birth already! That was fast.

Aww, thanks for sharing all the photos, Mariah! They are wonderful! You did an amazing job! Congrats again!
    Jennifer

Blog Entries

Great job! Kayla is a cutie!
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

What an amazing story. Kayla is adorable!

So happy you got this beautiful baby girl to show for all your work And way to go for no c-section!!

Chelsea Deven (5 years)
    DS- Dean(4 years), Dean's twin 8 weeks DS-Logan(3 years), DD-Hannah(1 year), DD- Abigail(1 month), We're a big family and loving every minute of it

Shes so beautiful congratulations!

Ali (28) dh (28)love since 2006 8 angels who left us too soon

Beautiful pics Mariah - she is so precious

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

What a story mama! I'm so happy you guys are doing great. <3 Congrats on the beautiful lil girl!!! And Thanks for sharing all your photos.
    Me: Heather {28}, DH: Tahee {30}, & Baby Boy: Carter {born July 2, 2014}... makes three

Awww...your face in the "about to push" picture made me cry! I know that emotion in your eyes so well...when they get out the table with the blue drop cloth & instruments on it, it feels wonderful...especially after a long pit labor with twists and turns like yours!

Thank you for sharing. I saw your other thread-I hope your recovery is smooth from now on & you have no more bp scares/trips to the hospital.

Meg (30), DH (40) & the 4 J's (Almost 7, 5, 3.5, 21 months)