Thread: WWYD re:motion sickness and the bus

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Default WWYD re:motion sickness and the bus

Scharae threw up on the bus right before getting off today. It's the first time she's actually thrown up on the bus, but almost every afternoon when she gets off she feels ill and she has thrown up half a dozen times in the car when I've picked her up instead. The way home from school is super curvy no matter which way we go about it.

I think the reason she's ok with the morning ride but not afternoon has to do with food. She only drinks her breakfast-protein smoothie-and doesn't eat any solid food in the morning. Probably not ideal but it is that or she eats nothing until lunch. Then she eats lunch and less than two hours later is on the bus or in the car coming home.

I send her gummy vitamins and a probiotic every day. Would there be any harm in sending her a Dramamine pill also? Or is that not good to use every day as a preventative? She won't suck on ginger candy-it's too spicy even though she says it does calm her tummy. On road trips we use Dramamine or melatonin (if it's night time driving) to help avoid the pukes. She won't keep sea bands on-says they're too tight (she's a sensory defensive kiddo).

Thoughts on the Dramamine? Is that even "allowed" for me to send and have her take on her own? any other ideas to help combat the motion sickness? It's only a 20 minute bus ride but is becoming so miserable for her!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I have heard people say dramamine makes them and/or their kids super drowsy so I would try to avoid that. What about making an iced tea with ginger? I steep ginger in water and then use that to make tea. I definitely think ginger helps with motion sickness. It's not as spicy when it's mixed into water or tea.

Or you can make a ginger simple syrup and use that to sweeten her water or other drinks. Actual candied ginger may be less spicy than a suck on candy....some of them can be really spicy so I don't blame her for not wanting it!

I would keep trying the ginger in different forms before dramamine. There may be a pill form of ginger she can take if she is able to swallow pills. Poor kiddo
    Last edited by macksmom; 04-28-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

If anything Dramamine wires her, definitely doesn't help her sleep. The thing with the ginger is it's not something she could take at lunch and have still working. When she uses that in the car (we've done the candied stuff) then she sucks on it and basically always has some in her mouth. So putting it in her lunch wouldn't help because the effects aren't lingering, and the bus has an extremely strict no eating/drinking policy which extends to candy-I even asked the driver and the transportation admin about that a few weeks ago. I would drive but we are a one-car family and I can only rely on the car one or two days a week

Have you ever tried chewable papaya enzymes? I know they are recommended for nausea re: morning sickness so perhaps that would work?

I don't have much experience with motion sickness. My dad struggles in the car and always had to drive on trips-he said sitting up front helped. Obviously we haven't done that in the car. But does it really? There is no way she can have the very front seats in the bus-they've got some severely physically disabled students and their aides in them. But would making sure she's somewhere near the front be of any help on a bus where you're only going to be looking out the side windows?

I've also heard there is a patch that goes behind the ear for severe motion sickness... I think its available via prescription. http://www.transdermscop.com (I think that one isn't for kids, but there might be something similar... I see everyone wearing them on the whale watching trips here in CA).
    Last edited by caligirl07; 04-28-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Have you ever tried chewable papaya enzymes? I know they are recommended for nausea re: morning sickness so perhaps that would work?
    Maybe I need some different ones. I've a few different brands over the years-for me, for Keira's digestion issues, etc and all of them have literally tasted like puke. Like left that after taste/smell coming through my nostrils. Scharae won't take them-she tried once and gagged because she's so sensitive to strong smells.

Quote Originally Posted by caligirl07 View Post
    I've also heard there is a patch that goes behind the ear for severe motion sickness... I think its available via prescription. http://www.transdermscop.com
    My dad uses that for air and sea travel. I might have to look into it if I cannot find some other solution. He used to rely on it but now only needs it if he's got an already icky tummy from eating too heavy before a flight. He said it seemed to help his body figure out how to handle the flying and ocean. Maybe it would have a therapy effect on scharae, too.

Sitting up front DEFINITELY helps. Also looking out the window. Maybe you can teach her some things she can do to make it less likely she will get sick - like to look out the front or side window, do NOT read or look down at all, sit as much towards the front as possible. I would even ask that a seat is reserved for her as close to the front as possible. That definitely does help.

From what I have read you need to do the ginger stuff at least 30 mins before the trip. Would she be able to take a snack break and have something 30-60 mins before she leaves? Also maybe try having her chew gum during the bus ride if that is allowed or eat crackers or something right before getting on?
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Maybe I'll check with her teacher and see if she can sneak something in. She's already supposed to be sure and take a bathroom break about 30 minutes before getting on the bus (long story...but she doesn't correctly interpret her body's "gotta go" signs until she has already wet herself a little ) so maybe that could be added in. I wonder if they make a slow release/delayed release ginger pill. She's a rockstar at taking pills so that would be a possibility. I know she already doesn't read on the bus although occasionally Keira has to remind her. She says that definitely makes it worse. I'll have to talk to her about the other-looking forward or out the window.

Maybe quease ease? I haven't used it but have heard good things about it.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    Maybe quease ease? I haven't used it but have heard good things about it.
    I just looked that up-I hadn't heard of it before. I like the idea of that and may get one. I don't know if it'll work for her or not-she's super sensitive to strong smells even of things she typically enjoys like lavender, peppermint, etc. But it's worth a try!

I am throwing a couple of ideas out there since she doesn't like ginger how about Herbal Non- Caffeinated Peppermint Tea with her lunch? Peppermint calms upset stomach but, I am not sure if it will last long enough for her I was also going to suggest Lavender pops I had them with I was pregnant with Sophia or maybe Lavender Tea at lunch if its safe for her age. I know its motion sickness but, is there also any smell on the bus triggering it as well? I suffered from motion sickness and my friend who drove had a stinky car though I didn't vomit I would feel pretty awful. I was thinking maybe somehow if she would be allowed a very small toy on the bus only like a small bear putting a tad of essential oil on it so she can smell something that is pleasant to her she can focus on it. KWIM? Its a real long shot but, an idea.

In all honesty it very well could be a smell triggering it for her. She really gets overwhelmed by strong smells even if they're GOOD smells. Putting some lavender drops on one of her smaller pieces of blankie might work. I do that at night for the one she sleeps with. Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    In all honesty it very well could be a smell triggering it for her. She really gets overwhelmed by strong smells even if they're GOOD smells. Putting some lavender drops on one of her smaller pieces of blankie might work. I do that at night for the one she sleeps with. Great idea!
    Thanks! I hope it works for her. I know I've had my share of unpleasant experiences with being in the car and people with not so good hygiene as well on the bus. I have been desensitized after kids but, before kids I had some OT which maybe also OT might be able to help her or both girls as well.

My daughter gets car sick and if she sucks on a mint or chews a piece of gum it seems to help. So sorry that your daughter got sick on the bus!
    Four Gulls - Mary

For my pregnancy with DS, I wore pressure bands on my wrists to help with morning sickness. They helped a lot. They are just bracelets with a bead that sits right on your pulse, and something about the pressure helps with the motion sickness. Maybe try something like that? The bands are pretty tight though, so they could bother her. But I also wore them all day - for your DD it would just be for the bus ride so it might not be that bad.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

John was able to drive the girls this morning and I put her Sea Bands in her backpack for this afternoon. We'll see if she will wear them. Last time we tried them they gave her pretty big "bruises" (not really, just very obvious indentation marks that really bugged her to see) so I don't know if she will but it's worth a try!

i have one who gets terrible motion sickness. It is definitely worse for her if she hasnt eaten for awhile. So it maybe she's ok in the morning because she's just had breakfast, and worse in the afternoon because she hasnt eaten since lunch. We never found sea bands to help much, i tried having her wear them some hoping that they at least gave a placebo effect, but it didnt work. Nothin worked short of damamine. I would hate to have to drug her everyday though.

Sitting in the front, and looking straight out the front window helps the most. And she absolutely can't do anything else, no reading, looking down, etc. I would be that everyone on the bus would be happy to give up a front seat to avoid her vomitting. at least try sitting as close to the front in an isle seat so she can see out the front. We always keep the quart size yogurt containers in the car, you can just snap the lid on and toss when you can. Can you give a couple to the bus driver? Or maybe youcan get some emesis bags that they use in the hospital for her to keep in her back pack? Poor girl, what an awful thing to experience everyday

you said there is a strict no eating/drinking policy on the bus would they over ride that rule with a drs note? or would they move one of the disabled children one seat back so she could ride up front (maybe a dr note would help that?) if i were the driver i would let her try the candy or a drink because that would be easier to clean then puke...
    i would also talk to her pedi to see if they have any suggestions for this.. they may already know of a miracle drug/vitamin that works.

I used to get motion sickness as a kid. Smells *definitely* played a part in it. I could (still can) smell fumes even when no one else can. What my parents did, was to give me dramamine. Especially on the longer rides, I would start feeling queasy, but would tell myself 'I took my medicine, I won't get sick'. Years later, I found out that my parents eventually switched the meds out for a placebo (vitamin pill that looked similar). Mind over body, I guess. The only other thing that really helped, was smelling a lemon. I would have one with me, and just score the rind with my nail, to smell it.

I get severe motion sickness too and I highly recommend Sea Bands. I used them during my first trimester (until I had to break down and get meds) and they even got me through a 7 hr car ride for vacation while I had m/s.

It's just a pressure point bracelet, so if she has sensory issues I'm sure if she would be comfortable with it. But these work!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

She has her Sea Bands with her today, so we will see what she says when she gets off the bus. When we drove out here to Wisconsin from Oregon in December she wouldn't leave them on very long, but hopefully knowing the ride is only 20 minutes will help. And she is certainly a mind-over-matter girl. We talk a lot about how strong the mind is so maybe even just giving her something to help take control over will help, even if they don't ACTUALLY help.

I didn't know having an emptier stomach could be a trigger for motion sickness-that seems counterintuitive to me. I thought perhaps having food in her belly from lunch as opposed to only having liquid in her belly from breakfast was a part of it, but perhaps not.

I can't ask for the students in the front to move-that's where the harnesses are and they need them. The rest of the bus has no seat harnesses. But I did talk to her about sitting as close to the front as she possibly can-it's a free seating arrangement and the bus isn't super full. I think the biggest deal today will be simply getting back on the bus. I don't think any of the kids were mean. But there were the obvious "eww, gross, it smells" comments that one would expect. And that is super embarrassing when you're 7 and always worried about doing something that appears socially "wrong", you know?

I know it doesnt make any sense to me either, but it did become clear that was the problem when we went on a long trip and she would often start feeling queasy or throw up just before we stopped to eat. Now she's old enough to make the connection herself, and as long as she has a snack, like a handful of peanuts or something she does fine. She has to have it before she stars feeling bad though.

I would think if she's eaten 2 or more hours before getting on the bus her stomach is mostly empty. Could she try a small protien snack like a piece of string cheese before getting on the bus?

oh my...i have a car sick kid....she goes to school next year. now reading this has given me anxiety that she is going to puke on the bus daily.... i hope you find a solution...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I suffer from motion sickness (not as extreme) and I agree, she HAS to look out the window. If her eyes are in tune with the motion of the bus it will be easier for her to adjust.

I also feel queasy whenever I feel anxious or too hungry. Every strong feeling just goes straight to my stomach, so it seems. I would give it a try - perhaps see if she can have a quick snack before getting on the bus. I agree it seems counterintuitive but give it a shot and find what works for her. And if she DOES need food ... Get it written in a 504!!!
    Last edited by Gwenn; 04-29-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

I get motion sick if I don't look out the window and fix my eyes on something pretty much the whole time. Looking down, reading or looking out the side where everything is going past so fast makes me nauseas. No way could I sleep in a moving vehicle. I'm fine if I just keep looking at things outside though. I believe dramamine is even safe for pregnancy, but I don't know if schools allow it to be taken there without dr note or something. I hope you guys find something that helps her!
    ~Andrea~

I experienced this motion sickness/empty stomach thing yesterday coming back from my OB appointment. It was HORRIBLE.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Well she had a great afternoon. She had her sea bands on and I asked her when she put them on. She said that when she was packing up her backpack it made her think maybe that was a good time to put them on-which is a connection I had tried to make for her this morning but she told me would just use them if she needed them. So she wore them the whole time and handled all the kids who were already off the bus yesterday having to ask her about her puking She also sat in the 2nd row of seats which she thinks helped, too.

Back in my scrappy days I worked on boats for several years, including one that went 3 miles offshore and regularly hit 15-20 foot swells. Only motion sick once in my life on a particularly bad day, a sailor told me to go to the bartender and get some lemon slices, which, shockingly, offered immediate relief. After that, I would consistently bring lemon slices to passengers who would unsurprisingly (to them) get seasick, and regularly get feedback that it worked better than anything they had ever tried in their entire life. Several years ago, I went on a 7 day scuba trip on a catamaran with a friend who would get seasick just looking at the ocean, and she was able to enjoy the entire trip without throwing up once, armed with half a dozen lemons sliced up.
    So, the sailor's secret is out! Hope this helps!