Thread: Bad anxiety when your kids are sick?

Default Bad anxiety when your kids are sick?

Does anyone else deal with feeling a lot of anxiety when your kids are sick? If so how do you combat it? I know some anxiety is normal but I feel like mine is a bit excessive; plus I have these irrational beliefs that if I don't worry myself to death over it they will get worse or something bad will happen; or that if I tell myself it's not serious and will get better then it won't; it's irrational but hard to shake. I think this stems from a really bad bout of a stomach bug my daughter got right before she turned two; she had a seizure (likely febrile) and had to stay in the hospital overnight for IV fluids. I think that experience just really shook me up a lot and caused a lot of this anxiety in me, probably fearing something similar or worse might happen again. This weekend my 9.5 month old acquired his first fever and so I'm taking him to the doctor today and trying not to fret too much but I just absolutely hate seeing one of them sick and uncomfortable :-(

I get pretty crazy. Luckily they don't get sick often but when it happens I freak out over everything. Also lucky they don't get terribly ill just run of the mill stuffy, mild fever, etc. We had our first stomach virus ever last month and I thought I was going to need to be committed!

I try to tell myself that worrying does not change the outcome of anything (I try to apply this across the board) and remind myself that kids get sick and better all the time.

I hope you and the kids feel better soon.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Yep I get bad anxiety. My son had a Febrile seizure last year. And he also has asthma. So lots of ER trips for us. Any little cold can be bad for him. My daughter recently had an unexplained fever (she is 4 months old) that resulted in an ER trip and they kept her all day and gave her fluids. I get super anxious when I know we have been around someone who was sick. I will even avoid places if I know someone has a cold...I need to work on this cuz I know we can't live in a bubble.

I hate it when the kids are sick it breaks my heart and I do have anxiety anyways so it adds to it. I think "Could I have done anything to prevent this"? I feel especially bad when I've had friends over that brought over sick kids usually with a cold and I go into mama bear mode because Cody like me for some reason doesn't have the best immune system and even when he has something minor like a cold without the fever he is miserable vs Sophia actually handles it well. Cody has acid reflex like my husband and we did not know until he was 4. I feel so bad for not investigating it much sooner so he had many bouts of vomiting. As soon as he started Zantac oh my goodness it was night and day for him. It seriously was like magic medicine. Cody had to have IV fluids at age 4 before his diagnosis. It started with he was grumpy all day long, he refuses even his favorite foods, and then the puking. He only had two episodes of vomiting that were not severe within this last 1 year of starting his medicine. Sophia is like my husband who never gets sick again I can't explain it but, I guess everyone has different levels of immunity. I don't get stomach problems often mind are mostly colds. I think also some of my anxiety steamed from my mom she and I have not spoken in over a year I couldn't ever have emotional support if one of the kids were sick. She would always blame me and make me out to be a dirty person whereas my dad, stepmom, and other family members thought for their ages they did good not being sick other than a minor cold their first year. My kids have never had ear infections or strep throat knock on wood! I think its perfectly normal to panic about illness. Who wants to be sick and who wants their kids to be sick? Its hard but, remember its temporary and all you can do is love them and care for them.
    *** Lindsay ***

Nm
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 04-30-2014 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks everyone; I think it was extra hard this time because it was his first real illness plus it happened in the middle of the weekend so I had to wait until Monday to get him seen/diagnosed; I don't really like walk - in urgent care, I'd rather go to the actual pediatrician because he's a great doctor. I usually calm down a lot once they've seen the doctor and gotten a diagnosis and/or treatment but it's that period up until then when I can tell they're getting sick and/or I'm waiting to get them seen that is really rough. He has an ear infection, poor thing; but seems to be starting to feel better.

Mom 2 Cody Sophia - Reflux is awful, I'm sorry you had to deal with that :-( My daughter had lots of ear infections which was no fun but then she got tubes and it helped tremendously, I was so thankful for it.

Quote Originally Posted by piscesgirl View Post
    Thanks everyone; I think it was extra hard this time because it was his first real illness plus it happened in the middle of the weekend so I had to wait until Monday to get him seen/diagnosed; I don't really like walk - in urgent care, I'd rather go to the actual pediatrician because he's a great doctor. I usually calm down a lot once they've seen the doctor and gotten a diagnosis and/or treatment but it's that period up until then when I can tell they're getting sick and/or I'm waiting to get them seen that is really rough. He has an ear infection, poor thing; but seems to be starting to feel better.

Mom 2 Cody Sophia - Reflux is awful, I'm sorry you had to deal with that :-( My daughter had lots of ear infections which was no fun but then she got tubes and it helped tremendously, I was so thankful for it.
    I am glad the ear tubes helped her.
    *** Lindsay ***

Big hugs mama!! I had horrible postpartum anxiety so I feel your pain. My DD just spent 5 nights in hospital with pneumonia, hooked to Iv and oxygen, big time anxiety! The 'good' thing is, you have a valid reason to feel anxious. The eery, scary anxiety i've experienced with crazy postpartum hormones was usually on plain old regular nights with nothing going on...not fun! I think a lot of moms worry and OVERworry about their kids and experience anxiety. I hope your little ones are okay and hope you are okay!