Thread: Home a 2nd time... update

Default Home a 2nd time... update

Just wanted to update everyone. Kayla and I are back home from the hospital again. Hopefully we will not be returning. Because she is small for gestational age she was not able to latch and pull in during feeds. Because of this I was fatigued and dehydrated. She was getting more jaundiced. We were to go in for her Bilirubin counts anyway, so I figured we would get them done at the hospital and they could help me. Just as we were on our way she started acting very lethargic. At the hospital she went limp and would not feed. It was really scary. The most scared I have been in my whole life. They sent NICU down to IV her and give her IV glucose because her blood sugar was so low. Thankfully when NICU got there they did not have to get the IV going. They gave her "sweets" a pacifier with glucose on it. It made her responsive enough to breast feed and take donor milk. Her little mouth is just too small to feed properly. So I have to pump and supplement feed in addition to breast feed until she is big enough and my real milk comes in. Which seems to be happening already today. I was also treated for the dehydration, fatigue, high blood pressure and a UTI.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

Stepping in to say Congrats on Kayla! I sure hope you all don't have to go back into the hospital again.

Congrats and glad you are both home safe!

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but DS had trouble latching with me and the lactation consultation suggested I use a nipple shield. It really helped him latch for the first few weeks until he got the hang of it. But DS was plenty big, so I'm not sure it is the same issue. Just thought I'd mention it
    Jen (33), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Wow how scary! Glad all is well now
    Huge hugs.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Oh how scary! I'm so glad y'all are both doing better now, and at home! Congrats again mama!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGRITS View Post
    Congrats and glad you are both home safe!

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but DS had trouble latching with me and the lactation consultation suggested I use a nipple shield. It really helped him latch for the first few weeks until he got the hang of it. But DS was plenty big, so I'm not sure it is the same issue. Just thought I'd mention it
    I think I will. My friend had the same thing happen. I have to supplement feed with formula but heaven forbid I use a nipple shield. lol But whatever. I am the mom right? I do things my way.
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

I am so glad you were both taken well care of and are on this side of it!! What an ordeal !

Thinking of you and praying for no more hurdles !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Goodness what an ordeal!

Ds1 was 6lbs 4oz... So tiny (39+0). We struggled with latch, cracked nipples, tenderness, etc. slightly different for you because I never dealt with jaundice, so I never had to supp, but I used a nipple shield for 4 weeks until he got bigger, bigger mouth. It's tough cause you then have to teach them to latch without the shield, but I just did it cold turkey, lol. Worked great! I'm almost positive at 24hrs old when we left the hospital he was 5lb 15oz. So I can just see tiny little Kayla in my memories of Tristan! So cute! Tristan wore premie for 2 weeks! I still have the outfits!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

Plus, I can't wait to see her pics! I want to see those pouty lips from the u/s!!!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

So wonderful to hear that you are both home and doing well! I remember with my first I used a nipple shield for a few weeks(maybe even a month??). It was a LIFE saver! I ended up getting mastitis so bad that I had to go into the emergency room for meds. The nipple shield saved my life!!! It was the only way DS1 would latch on my left side. Once he and I were more confident with nursing I nixed the shield and never had to go back.
    I would go get one and try it out Good luck mama! I'm also looking forward to seeing pictures!!!

Chelsea Deven (5 years)
    DS- Dean(4 years), Dean's twin 8 weeks DS-Logan(3 years), DD-Hannah(1 year), DD- Abigail(1 month), We're a big family and loving every minute of it

Glad to hear that you are home and you and Kayla are doing well.

how scary, I'm so glad you are finally home and doing well. I have a nipple shield already sitting in a drawer at home just in case I have an issue with bf. I hope it helps you and little Kayla get on the right track. I can't wait to see pics of your gorgeous little girl!

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

lol Sorry I am working on my birth story and We had an increadable day. Milk came in full force! She is still suplimenting with organic formula... but not much longer! I Had my in home visit from the nurse and little peanut went from 5-13 yesterday to 6-4 today! OMG my little eater gained 7 oz in 24 hours! I would say we are in the clear now.

Quote Originally Posted by mariahpoo2 View Post
    lol Sorry I am working on my birth story and We had an increadable day. Milk came in full force! She is still suplimenting with organic formula... but not much longer! I Had my in home visit from the nurse and little peanut went from 5-13 yesterday to 6-4 today! OMG my little eater gained 7 oz in 24 hours! I would say we are in the clear now.
    Great news!!! Go Mariah & Kayla!!!