Thread: Allergies...

Default Allergies...

Wow, I'm thinking spring is hitting hard after a long winter and my allergies are feeling it . I'm already on claritin, flovent, and benadryl daily. I'm going to get a neti-pot I think. I have never used one, but ugh, the sinus pressure and headaches are getting to me...it's definitely worth a try since it sure can't hurt .

My OB said if I'm using my albuterol inhaler more than twice per week to let them know and we'd talk about other meds, but I hesitate to kick my meds up a notch realizing the risks to baby only increase. YET, like my OB said, not breathing well and frequent use of the albuterol isn't good for baby either, sigh . If it doesn't improve by my next appt in 3wks I'll talk with him about it then.

Anyone else working through allergies and/or asthma?
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Well, I learned something new today (called the nurse)...apparently, tylenol PM is fine for now and after 13wks I can take sudafed ! She said benadryl is fine too, but I already knew that...she actually recommended I switch to tylenol pm to help with the headaches.

Allergies!

But no Meds for me because breast feeding. I use a hot cloth on my sinuses. And if it's really bad in the morning or evenings I jump into the shower and steam up the smaller bathroom.
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I use tylenol pm for nighttime headaches and it is wonderful!

Have you tried/looked into Nasacort? I'm trying to find info on it re: pregnancy but not having much luck, you'd think they would put the drug info like right there on the site...
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Blog Entries

Jus popping in to suggest Singulair. It is Class B now and will help with sinus and asthma stuff. I've been on it for a very long time (15ish years?) and do quite poorly off it.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I take Zyretc, as needed. I had asthma in childhood but typically don't have issues with it unless I have a very bad chest cold. Kelly, I'm sorry that you're going through ALL of that. ;(

What's the difference between Tylenol and Tylenol PM?

I 2nd the neti pot! It has always been very helpful for me! Just remember not to use tap water unless you boil it first. That never occurred to me that tap water wouldn't be safe, but evidently not.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I should try the hot cloth...my face is so puffy !

I've had allergies/asthma for years, but have always been able to cope fine without meds (avoided them for the same reason...bfing), even during pg. I feel like the older I get the worse my allergies/asthma have gotten. Maybe it's hereditary because I know my dad's allergies got worse over the years too .

Tylenol PM is just 1 dose tylenol + 1 dose benadryl
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Ah, thanks Natalie!

Kelly, I think allergies differ in different regions. Have you always lived in Michigan?

When we moved from NH to NC when I was 11, my allergies changed. The only thing to really "improve" was the asthma, though I can tell a difference from year to year depending on the pollen levels, etc.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by Geneari View Post
    I use tylenol pm for nighttime headaches and it is wonderful!

Have you tried/looked into Nasacort? I'm trying to find info on it re: pregnancy but not having much luck, you'd think they would put the drug info like right there on the site...
    That is great to know! The nurse said I could just take benadryl + tylenol, but said she felt the tylenol pm works better . I haven't tried nasacort...going to google it!

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Jus popping in to suggest Singulair. It is Class B now and will help with sinus and asthma stuff. I've been on it for a very long time (15ish years?) and do quite poorly off it.
    Jess, I was on singulair when I was first diagnosed with asthma and wow, I felt so much better! At the time though they didn't recommend it during pg so I went off of it when I got pg. I'll mention it to my dr for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    I take Zyretc, as needed. I had asthma in childhood but typically don't have issues with it unless I have a very bad chest cold. Kelly, I'm sorry that you're going through ALL of that. ;(

What's the difference between Tylenol and Tylenol PM?

I 2nd the neti pot! It has always been very helpful for me! Just remember not to use tap water unless you boil it first. That never occurred to me that tap water wouldn't be safe, but evidently not.
    I won't lie, lol, this is by far the most challenging first tri I have ever had...I'm over the moon to be pg and it's totally worth it, but wow. I don't like feeling so needy...I'm very used to being able to handle things so this is new. I keep telling myself though, it's also temporary and will all fade when I'm holding my baby .

Tylenol pm has diphenhydramine hcl and acetaminophen.

Ah, thanks Natalie!

Kelly, I think allergies differ in different regions. Have you always lived in Michigan?

When we moved from NH to NC when I was 11, my allergies changed. The only thing to really "improve" was the asthma, though I can tell a difference from year to year depending on the pollen levels, etc.
    I have always lived in MI, but we moved 2.5hrs south 2yrs ago. I hadn't related it to our move, but that's definitely a possibility. Oh my word...having a palm-forehead moment (this is ridiculous I have not thought of this before ), but our new property is extremely damp and I have a mold/mildew allergy! That would make total sense as to why my allergies/asthma have gotten so bad the last couple weeks (our area has had a lot of flood advisories/warnings)...with so much snow and so much rain recently, I'm sure there are an abundance of mold/mildew spores.

Maybe I'll call my dr sooner rather than later...I don't foresee things drying out around here anytime soon. I already feel on the verge of bronchitis...this happened last winter and I certainly don't want a repeat (developed a secondary bacterial infection...pulse-ox was in the low 80s ).

Yeah, mold and mildew are big triggers for me too. I definitely agree that you need to call sooner rather than later. You definitely don't want a repeat.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Used my albuterol inhaler...ya, should have done it much sooner, can't believe how much better I feel *insert relieved emoticon .

Jen/gatorgrits, I know you mentioned allergies a while back...how are you doing?

Blog Entries

Singulair went Class B between my pregnancy with Madelyn (2009) and Malachi (2010). I obviously could not go off it during pregnancy just as so many other pregnant women could not. I was quite happy that it changed to a Class B.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I'm so glad you are feeling better! It's amazing how we try to push through things and then when we give in and take the medicine it's like day and night! ;) It's so tough, though, we have the mentality of wanting to keep things as pure as possible.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I'm so glad you are feeling better! It's amazing how we try to push through things and then when we give in and take the medicine it's like day and night! ;) It's so tough, though, we have the mentality of wanting to keep things as pure as possible.
    Exactly!

I'm feeling so much better today! Using the albuterol inhaler opened everything up and I was able to release a lot of the congestion that was probably causing irritation/inflammation...no chest pain/tightness today and only a slight cough .

Oh I'm SOOO happy to see this, Kelly!!

I woke up to a splitting headache that's completely sinus related. BUT, on the flip side, I haven't had any of the HORRIBLE gastric issues that I've been having (gas in my torso causing a LOT of pain, nausea, and just overall feeling like my digestive system hates me). I'm so happy to have a break from that stuff, it's been about a week and a half of that stuff, that I'm trying not to be too down about the headache. ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Well, I'm thinking my asthma is out of control...calling my OB today since I really don't want to go through the rest of the week feeling this way . I've been using my rescue inhaler twice per day the last few days and honestly, I could probably stand to use it even more often, but I'm afraid of over-doing it while pg.

Ugh, ugh, UGH ...my OB said to go to ER. I'm feeling frustrated...my hope was that he'd just call in something. All they're going to do in ER is give me a breathing treatment, tell me to use my rescue inhaler every 4hrs, charge me $100, and tell me to follow up with my dr. I guess it's possible they'll prescribe an oral steroid to reduce the inflammation, but shouldn't I also be on *something* for maintenance which they're not going to prescribe in the ER?

I'm glad my dr is being cautious...I'm just frustrated with the situation I guess .

I'll update when I get back.

Yeah, I'd be a little annoyed with the advice about going to the ER and probably would have pushed back. Looking forward to the update.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

In ER still...2 breathing tx, steroid in IV, and oxygen...pulse-ox is fine when I'm still, but drops to low 80s when I get up. Doing ct to rule out blood clot in lungs (d-dimer is elevated, likely due to pg, but dr doesn't want to risk missing something that serious)...probably being admitted either way to determine cause of low pulse-ox