Thread: Gestational Diabetes

Default Gestational Diabetes

So not only have I had preecclampsia with both my prior pregnancies and am on Aspirin therapy for that to try to prevent it this time around...I just got diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes...ugh...diet and exercise are no longer controlling it and my doctor is talking about putting me on Metformin instead of insulin since my blood sugars are borderline for medication treatment....does anyone have any experience taking this during pregnancy??
    ~There are only two days in a year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow.~
    Dalai Lama

Metformin instead of insulin? To me that doesn't sound right at all. Usually doctors will go with a pill vs. insulin to see if they can control it that way. I'm a type 1 diabetic and I of course took insulin the whole time. To me it seems they're going backwards.

Metformin is an oral medication...and since my numbers are borderline they don't want to put me on insulin for fear of hypoglycemia...I'm just wondering if it's even worth it since my numbers are so close to being normal..plus insulin doesn't cross the placenta, Metformin does, so wondering about effects on baby...this is so frustrating.
    ~There are only two days in a year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow.~
    Dalai Lama

I've taken the medication, but not while pregnant. I'm sorry that your GD isn't being controlled by diet and exercise.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

This is so frustrating having no control over my body!!!
    Dalai Lama