Thread: Talk to me about slings

Default Talk to me about slings

My SIL is expecting her second little man in Sept, and I really want to get her a sling/newborn carrier. That is one thing that I wished I would have had with my second, and I never found one that I loved. My kids were small, and I was afraid they would suffocate or fall out.

Which newborn wraps/slings/carriers do you guys love and why? Her kids are going to be close in age also (her oldest will barely be 2 when baby comes), and I think this is something that she'll get a lot of good use out of!

TIA!

I had a Moby but never really got the hang of it. I also had a Hotslings and I liked that a lot. Very easy to use. And Ergo for when they can hold their heads.

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

I love my Ergo. There are newborn inserts you can use but I just shoved some blankets in there. I was always cautious about not forgetting about them in there and checking to make sure they had suffucient air and were not getting squished. It's easy to forget when you have a comfortable carrier!

I still wear DD3 at lot especially when I am walking down to the school to pick up DD1. She is about 23lbs and it's still totally comfortable.

I really think it's the one that is worth it's money. I have been using mine for about 7 years. I got it when DD1 was 1. I used it with her and the next 2 kids until they were about 3 years old! And it's still in GREAT shape.

I just can't say enough great things about it. It's probably been my most useful baby purchase. And when I am done I can probably sell it for almost what I paid because they have a great resale value too!

I also had a bjorn (hated it), moby (used it a little) and a peanut shell (useless).

ETA: I LOVE that I can use it when I have to go places for the older kids where a stroller would be difficult. It was great for when DD2's class went pumpkin picking and had a field trip to the fire house. When everyone else was struggling with strollers I was able to move around without an issue.
    Last edited by macksmom; 04-24-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

i also love the Ergo, but i didnt until DD was about 3-4m. She was also small, and was a slow gainer. I didnt like the ergo even with the infant insert. i felt like it was so bulky she was lost in there, i couldnt really feel her there or something. It also put more strain on my c/s scar area. If you expect her baby to be bigger, or gain quickly she wouldnt have a problem using it shortly after birth. The Boba carrier is similar to the Ergo, but it doesnt need an infant insert, it just folds up from the bottom.

But i looooved my sleepy wrap- now boba i think. similar to moby just stretchier. I used it from the time dd was about 6lbs. I put it on in the am before leaving the house and just wore itall day, popping her in and out. It definitely has a learning curve for tying it, and its not easy to put on in the car or even in public because i never could do it alone without touching the floor.

i used slings with my older babies, but i dont think they are nearly as comfortable as either the soft structure carrier or the wrap. Though they are convenient to keep in the diaper bag.

Blog Entries

I really want an Ergo. Keeping an eye out for a good deal now.

I have a Bjorn-type that is ok but it hurts my back after a while. Love my mai tai and have used it with 2 kids from newborn on up stage. However the straps can be cumbersome...I like the buckle feature on the ergo.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I looooove the moby! It holds baby up high and really snug. Its super comfortable and distributes the weight of the baby evenly across the back and shoulders. I tried ring slings and didn't think they were that comfortable. I haven't tried the Ergo, but I've heard great things about it.

Another vote for Ergo here! I still love mine. The first time I used it, DS was 2 weeks old and just over 7lbs. I didn't use the infant insert (way too hot in Hawaii), but just tucked his legs into a froggy position and put him in. It was so comfortable for both of us, he always fell asleep in it. I still use it occasionally now, in a back carry and DS weighs almost 27lbs. That thing has been worth every penny!
    Jennifer

We loved both Moby and Beco. But dd2 is tall so she grew out of Beco quick. I was highly recommended Boba and I do like Ergo. Boba seems lighter and easier for warmer climates.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Thanks for all of the input, ladies! It’s helpful, because I also used an Ergo with newborn insert for Libby, but like runningmom I couldn’t really use it with her until she was a bit older because she was only 4lbs at birth. SIL’s oldest was pretty average, almost 8lbs, so I’m wondering if it will work okay for her new little one?

Is the moby difficult to manipulate when you're by yourself? I would imagine that she's going to get a lot of use out of her carrier when she's at home alone with the two littles.

I'm another Moby lover! Once I got the hang of it (1-3 times) I never thought it was difficult to do by myself.

Here's a great YouTube instructional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhBmqw7npYU

The thing that I LOVE about the Moby is that you can adjust the fabric across your shoulders to distribute the load. I have not tried an Ergo, but having the stationary straps over my shoulders just reminds me of a backpack and I always had a lot of pain with those types of straps.

I have tried slings and have just never really felt comfortable with that setup.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

the wraps are not difficult once you get the hang of it. i watched some videos and was fine. It was only a problem when we were out somewhere because its so long i almost always had one side or the other touch the ground/floor. And living in the pacific north wet with a fall baby...

I have been thinking about a carrier of some kind but haven't done more than look because I'm a plus sized girl and just not sure if an ergo would work. Plus we only plan on one child and they aren't cheap. But I also like the idea of wearing for bonding so have been leaning towards a wrap. Well maybe I might end up with both anyway as I could see my DH using an ergo and he's going to be the one home during the day with the baby.

Ergo also has wraps now http://store.ergobaby.com/wraps
    Last edited by Cosmosmom; 04-25-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    the wraps are not difficult once you get the hang of it. i watched some videos and was fine. It was only a problem when we were out somewhere because its so long i almost always had one side or the other touch the ground/floor. And living in the pacific north wet with a fall baby...
    Yeah, the material is pretty long. I just bunched it up in my hands and/or tied the ends to make them shorter in those cases. But yeah, fall baby in the pacific north ... would make for difficult moby wearing.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    I have been thinking about a carrier of some kind but haven't done more than look because I'm a plus sized girl and just not sure if an ergo would work. Plus we only plan on one child and they aren't cheap. But I also like the idea of wearing for bonding so have been leaning towards a wrap. Well maybe I might end up with both anyway as I could see my DH using an ergo and he's going to be the one home during the day with the baby.

Ergo also has wraps now http://store.ergobaby.com/wraps
    i think it would be great for bonding. DH and i are working on getting certified for fostercare, and i definitely will want the wrap if we had a little baby.

i know it varies by area, but there are tons of ergos on my local FB kids resale list as well as Craigslist. They do make an extension waist strap. I think the "sport" model is bigger, bigger waist band and longer shoulder straps. There are other soft structured carriers besides Ergo that come sized and are bigger. Kinderpack is one. But they generally are more expensive.

I didn't see an extension strap for the waist on the website. I did see it goes to 55 inches which is a lot but I would need to measure....I do carry most in the hips and rear so waist might be ok. I will have to look at the other one too.

But the videos for the wrap didn't look too hard. Baby will be most likely 3-5 weeks old when we bring home so still very little.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I just remembered that I had a Mei Tai (I think that's spelled right) that I really loved too. Similar to this one

Sara (35), wife to Nick (34), mom to Ainsley (2/22/09) and Raegan (1/15/12)
    Friend me on Facebook

My kids were all 6lbs. DD2 was the biggest at 6.11 and DD3 the smallest at 6.4. I only used the towel to raise them up a bit and a little for head support for a month or so? Then I just used the Ergo by itself and they were probably only 8-10lbs by then if that. I would think an 8lb baby would do great.

I just had DD3 (22 months and 24lbs) in the Ergo for 1/5 hours today while at a kindergarten orientation for DD2! Still loving it!

I did like the moby for the very early months but felt like I couldn't use it after they were about 7-8 months. I am chesty and I felt like my boobs were in the way. I don't feel that way with the Ergo.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)