Thread: Please tell me this will correct itself.

Default Please tell me this will correct itself.

A is 11 months old (she will be one in 3 short weeks ). She has 4 teeth right now and two more coming through. Her teeth are coming in SO CROOKED. Please tell me this is normal and they will grow together as more teeth come in.
    DD 05/14/2013

I wouldn't be too concerned about it right now. Those are her baby teeth, and she will get permanent ones. Even if those grow in crooked, there is nothing you can really do about it until after they are all in.

Mira's front two teeth on the bottom are crooked. They did not correct themselves, but the dentist did not seem too terribly worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Mira's front two teeth on the bottom are crooked. They did not correct themselves, but the dentist did not seem too terribly worried.
    This. I know for sure both girls would need braces though so there is nothing I can do. I wouldn't stress about it - it's one of those things that you can do nothing about and there are mechanisms out there that can fix them!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Until you've seen dental x-rays showing adult teeth already wonky and crowded, it's awful hard to assume that baby teeth positioning is automatically indicative of how the adult teeth will be.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Since baby is getting teeth in and is almost a year old, I would go see the dentist. Good dental health is important and it's important to take care of baby teeth as well as adult teeth teeth. They cannot do anything about them now but can answer your questions and get baby used to seeing the dentist.

My mom started us going by a year old because she as an adult, still had baby teeth....two of them that adult teeth never came in. So in case that happened to us too, wanted great dental care started early. I'm now 35 and my sister is 31....and neither of us has ever had a cavity. I give a lot of credit for that to us going every six months our entire lives. Turned out I have my dads teeth....but my sister does have my moms and never had wisdom teeth come up.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I agree that dental hygiene is important for baby teeth however, the crooked teeth part I would not worry about because her new teeth down the road can be straight. You could have a dentist give you a more expert opinion.
    *** Lindsay ***

My 9 month old sons two top teeth came in with a huge gap between them. I'm not worried at this point.

Orion's bottom teeth were crooked (kind of turned inwards weird) when they came in. They came in early though and he had all but his molars by 1. Either way, his teeth are straighter now, and have corrected themselves as he's gotten bigger.

I wouldn't be worried though. As they grow the teeth will have more room in their mouths, they may spread or correct, or maybe not. They're just baby teeth. I wouldn't be concerned as long as it doesn't effect chewing at all.
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

my experience is that sometimes the teeth do shift and straighten a little, i think good oral health helps that happen. Their tongue helps push the teeth into place a bit. But, all my kids have crooked teeth and so far 5 out of 6 have either had, or will have orthodontia. My youngest is 2.5yrs, so we can't know for sure, but Im willing to bet money she'll need braces too I keep telling my orthodontist i should get a buy one (or 5!) get one free. So far he hasnt gone for it

But anyway, dont worry about the baby teeth, other than keeping them clean, avoiding sticky foods, etc. There is nothing you can do about their placement now.

We definitely brush every night. Silly me was not thinking when it was the enrollment period at work with the insurance and didn't put her on my dental plan. So until I can get her in, I'm making sure we take great care of them. Thanks for all your input ladies.
    DD 05/14/2013

Quote Originally Posted by christianaaa View Post
    We definitely brush every night. Silly me was not thinking when it was the enrollment period at work with the insurance and didn't put her on my dental plan. So until I can get her in, I'm making sure we take great care of them. Thanks for all your input ladies.
    Our pediatric dentist does a complimentary "lap appointment" for babies. They just take a quick peak, and go over proper bushing for a baby. They suggested waiting until they have a few teeth, 8 maybe? I know at a year i was there with other kids and she only had 2 teeth so they said to wait until 18m. but every dentist is different. Maybe call around and see if you can find someone who does that if you are concerned.

I would not worry yet. Their little teeth shift a lot and they will lose that set anyway so baby teeth are in no way a determination on how their adult teeth will turn out. I do agree with a pediatric dentist visit. Our office starts at 12 months and I took both my girls for the first time at 18 months. All they do that first time is count teeth and brush them and go over oral hygiene with you.