Thread: belly sleeping, 8 month old

Blog Entries

Default belly sleeping, 8 month old

I feel silly for asking this, but I need some opinions.

DS is a terrible sleeper. As in I'm in his room multiple times each night between the time he goes to sleep (around 7ish) and the time I bring him in with me when I go to bed (midnight or so) due to frequent wakings. So tonight after I go in when he woke up for the first time I decide to try putting him on his belly, thinking there's no way he's going to fall asleep. He hates being on his stomach but has tolerated it a bit more lately since he's moving from sitting to his knees/hands to belly on his own. Well, lo and behold he fell asleep and he's still sleeping!

My concern is this: he rolls from back to belly but since he hates being on his belly and doesn't spend much time in that position, he hasn't ever rolled from belly to back on his own. (I am not worried about this; he is doing every thing else he's supposed to be doing physically.) So of course I keep going in to check on him. His head is to the side, his head control is fine and there are no worries there. But for any reason should I be concerned that he's on his belly but might not be able to roll to his back again? Again, I feel like this is a stupid question but I just have to ask. Thanks for humoring me!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Its one of those things that is scary to give advice on because heaven forbid that "what if", kwim? But from what I've read, if they are able to roll on their tummy by themselves you can leave them there, and not worry about getting up a hundred times a night to roll them back on to their backs. 8 months is well past the peak danger zone of SIDS, although they say to keep putting them on their back for a year. If he is physically able to roll on to his tummy, I'm not sure how much difference there would be between him rolling over by himself, vs. you putting him there, you know? Many babies probably roll themselves on to their tummies during the night who haven't mastered rolling back yet. It really boils down to if you are comfortable with it or not.

As long as he can roll onto his belly himself, then I'd let him sleep that way. DS has always slept on his belly since he figured out how to get there, and he slept much better that way. It took him a good month or so after that before he learned to roll back the other way. I always used to try to put him on his back, but he'd just roll over immediately, so I gave up. As long as you're comfortable with it, I'd let him sleep!
    Jennifer

It wouldn't worry me at this point.

Sophia started to sleep on her tummy around 6 months I would always lay her on her back but, our pediatrician told us if they can roll over not to worry at that age. You can place them on their backs to try to encourage back sleeping but, if they roll on their tummies and roll back its fine.
    *** Lindsay ***

Blog Entries

Thx all. He ended up waking after 2 hours so it was back to the back after that. He wouldn't go down on his belly again. So much for that magic solution!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)