Okay. I need some help. Nico is picky. Really, really picky. He's 5 1/2, and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Unfortunately, Laney seems to be following in his footsteps, though Alex will eat just about anything.

I'm sick of making several meals to get everyone to eat dinner, but I worry about weight gain (especially with Laney). Have any of you dealt with this and found a way to expand your kids' palates without causing huge emotional upheaval. Dinner tonight was a disaster. Pasta with pesto sauce. Nico has eaten it once before and seemed to have liked it. Tonight he freaked the eff out. And we made him eat it. I think we handled it all wrong. But I didn't want to make him another special meal.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing. I will make one meal for dinner. If it's a pasta-based meal, then I'll put some pasta aside for Nico to have with just butter and parmesan. But otherwise, it will be only one meal being served. If he doesn't like it, I won't make him eat it. He can choose to eat a peanut butter sandwich instead (keep in mind that he only eats natural, unsweetened, unsalted peanut butter, so it's not full of sugar). Or he can have yogurt and fruit. Does that seem like a decent approach? This is something he can make for himself, which means I won't be making something for him, along with having to prep food for everyone else.

What would you do? If you're going to give me "if he's hungry enough he'll eat it" kind of advice, you can keep on moving because that doesn't work around here. It just leaves me with a hungry kid who has absolutely no ability to control his emotions because his blood sugar's too low (he's like me in that way). I don't have any desire to go down that road. It's a losing battle.

Help!