Thread: How close to EDD were you with your first pregnancy?

Default How close to EDD were you with your first pregnancy?

Hey ladies,

Okay, here's the deal. DH has the opportunity to do some work with an opera company he'd really love to work with again this summer. BUT, he'd finish up and come home on June 15. I'm due June 24. Neither of us wants him to miss the birth, but I also hate for him to not go and have nothing happen wrt the baby's arrival. Of course we know there are no guarantees and that last-minute complications could change our plan from a self-starting labor (or late induction) to early induction or c-section. BUT, I also know that statistically speaking, most first-time moms go to their delivery date or beyond. He'll be in New York, so catching a flight home to St. Louis shouldn't be TOO hard, but if I were to, say, go in to labor at 8 or 9 pm, he might not be able to get something until the next morning. To be honest, while I absolutely want him there, I'm not so worried about being in labor alone (obviously I'd have friends on call to take me to the hospital). I am REALLY concerned about him not being there for his son's birth, though. I just really think he'd feel like he missed out-- and he would have!

So, talk to me about your first time experiences. Were you early? Late? Would you risk it?
    Sara: 31, DH: 33. After 19 months of STC, we caught an eggie! #1 is on its way!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Well I was 2 weeks over due and was induced. With that being said I'm still not sure I would risk it unless he could get a flight. My friends husband just missed the birth of their 3rd but was able to watch via skype so that could be an option if its something you end up risking.

I can't say with my first because I got pre-e and was induced at 37wks.

With my last two they both came exactly at the same point in pregnancy - 9 days before my DD.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

I was 15 days overdue and had to be induced. I think it's pretty low risk. If this wasn't your first, I'd say don't let him go because you'd need him around to help you with a LO, but since this is your first I think you'd be fine to be without him at the end of your pregnancy with not a big chance of him missing the birth.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

From what I've read, non-complicated FTM usually go to 41 weeks give or take a day. Plus labor generally takes time, so he'd more than likely have time to get there. I totally have respect for both sides of this so it's definitely not an easy choice! GL
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Blog Entries

Do you want others input? If so, all of my children were born between 39 and 40 weeks without induction, stripping membranes, etc. My first was at 39w2d, my second at 39w6d and my third at 39w5d if I remember correctly.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Stepping in: My son was born at 39 weeks 1 day without an induction he came on his own after 14 hours of hospital but, when a grand total of 24 hours of labor 10 hours were early labor which honestly was not that bad. Sophia was born via induction she was my 2nd and last baby at 38 weeks 4 days due to concern of growth restriction and GD I do believe if I would have had those problems she would have been born around 39 weeks or so. Really babies have their own schedule if this a chance of a lifetime sort of deal for a job I would tell my husband to do it no questions asked and perhaps if you are OK with it have someone record the birth. JMHO

I was late ... Almost ALL women in my family were 7+ days late with their first
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Thanks, everyone. DH and I talked about it tonight and he's decided against it. The opportunity will still be there for the following year, and he realized that while he started out thinking about it as just being here for the birth, he wanted to be here to help and support me physically and emotionally leading up to the birth - especially since we have no idea whether I'll be someone who feels good and productive right up to the end, or one who needs a major amount of rest and is very uncomfortable. Seriously, how did I marry the absolute best guy in the world (for me)?! It's hard for me to let myself be the priority like that, but lucky for me he has way less a problem making me a priority than I do.

Thanks so much for all your experiences! I told him that if he makes this decision I'll almost certainly go to 41.5 weeks, but he's pretty set.

What a guy.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Great job, dh! And hope you are not too overdue!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by cheeksy View Post
    Great job, dh! And hope you are not too overdue!
    He's a keeper. And thanks! I hope I'm not too overdue, too! For some reason, I really want this to be a June baby!

Make a pregnancy ticker

With my 2nd my dd was June 21st and she arrived on 30th.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

With my first he was due March 9 born on March 13....4 days over due went into labor naturally.

With my second he was due June 1st. Born on May 25. Natural labor.

It helps that I knew my ovulation dates because my doc and midwife took that into consideration when dating my dd.

Aww <3

I'm glad you won't have to worry about it. It might not have been an issue but now you won't have to wonder!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Yes, the end can be tough! Yay for awesome DH!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

I think better safe than sorry--

With my son I delivered at 40 weeks, 3 days, but I started early labor the night of 40 weeks, 1 day. DH could have been on another continent and still made the birth lol.