Thread: I can barely walk - SPD?

Default I can barely walk - SPD?

I went from feeling bruised in my pelvis the last couple of weeks to suddenly not being able to walk today without really bad pain shooting down my inner thighs and my butt and backs of my legs. When I told my doctor it was getting painful on Monday she said it was normal, but now I can't really walk or even get up from a sitting position without intense pain! Even if it's SPD, there's nothing that can be done (as far as I know) and I just have to ride it out. I still have the rest of this week and all of next week before my maternity leave and now I don't think I can do it I'm also worried how delivery will be with pain like this

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Hope you feel better soon!

I'm not sure what SPD is but what you described sounds like sciatica.
    Dayna (37) DH (38) DD (6) DS1 (3) DS2 3-31-14

Popping in because I saw your title. I had SPD with my last two pregnancies, and it is absolutely miserable. My worst pain came from trying to roll over in bed at night--my DH would have to pull me over sometimes because I couldn't move! It was also incredibly difficult to go from sitting to standing or raise my legs to put on my pants.
    Anyway, it is fairly common and normal, although it is very painful. I was worried about delivery, too, especially because my births were un-medicated. However, it really wasn't a factor at all. I think everything loosened up so much during labor that the pain stopped--either that or the contractions distracted me!

Blog Entries

I also had SPD with my last baby. My symptoms were much as LaurainFL described. I also did not notice any SPD pain during labor and delivery.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    JRSolutions[/URL]. My Ovulation Chart

Quote Originally Posted by LaurainFL View Post
    Popping in because I saw your title. I had SPD with my last two pregnancies, and it is absolutely miserable. My worst pain came from trying to roll over in bed at night--my DH would have to pull me over sometimes because I couldn't move! It was also incredibly difficult to go from sitting to standing or raise my legs to put on my pants.
    Anyway, it is fairly common and normal, although it is very painful. I was worried about delivery, too, especially because my births were un-medicated. However, it really wasn't a factor at all. I think everything loosened up so much during labor that the pain stopped--either that or the contractions distracted me!
    Yes this was me too. SPD is a condition where your pubic bone starts to separate too early in the pregnancy. It's actually supposed to happen during birth so I never found it to be a problem (I had it with all 3 and it was almost unbearable with #3). It went away after the birth (for the most part). It is very painful. I am sorry you are hurting!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Sounds like what I had during my pregnancy. It was painful. It was hard to do much because of it. I do not remember it bothering me during birth. Sorry to hear that you hurting! Hopefully you can find relief soon!!
    *Sara-27**Lee-27* 11/21/09 DX with PCOS 05/10

I've been having pain right at my pubic bone for months, and rolling bed is really hard and walking is painful sometimes. But I don't have shooting pains anywhere else, it's just right in the center of my pubic bone, so I don't even know if it's SPD or something else. Maybe it will get worse, I hope not?

Spinning babies says you can sit in a chair and squeeze a ball between your knees to help--but I was unclear on this exercise being done while pregnant or PP. Going to have to read it again.

Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Natalie, that definitely sounds like SPD to me. My pain was very localized at my pubic bone instead of having shooting pains. Mine started out as a dull ache, then got progressively worse further along in my pregnancy. When you are rolling over in bed, try to keep your legs together as much as possible. It helps a little.
    I hope it doesn't get any worse for you! Mine wasn't bad at all with baby #1, pretty uncomfortable with baby #2, and terribly painful with baby #3.
    Last edited by LaurainFL; 04-23-2014 at 03:49 PM.

For bed what works for me is to not use my legs to adjust my position. It's hard to remember because it's so automatic, but if I move my torso first and then use my arms to push up I can avoid most of the pain.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Thank you everyone! I'm at work and was just able to check this and your comments made me feel so much better. I am going for a unmedicated birth and I was feeling really confident about it until now, but it sounds like my pelvis will be nice and loosened up thanks to SPD and it won't be an issue. OMG it's painful though! If lay on my side all night it's not bad, but as soon as I try to get up and walk it's horrible.

Natalie - I hate to say this, but mine started out feeling like a bruise and wasn't an issue until now. I hope yours doesn't progress any further!
    Last edited by Melturtleluv; 04-23-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Mel (39) DH (37) Finally, a baby boy after 12 months of TTC!
    April 2013 http://www.saferpills.org/

Big hugs. I never had it bad but a friend had a very complicated one during birth. Won't go into scary details. Just hope it does not become worse for you!!!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Mel, I read that an unmedicated birth is actually a wise decision with SPD, especially if it is severe. With an epi, you're not able to feel if you get into an uncomfortable position that could further aggravate your injury. But without, you would be able to feel and choose an alternate pushing position if you did happen to feel SPD pain during delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurainFL View Post
    Mel, I read that an unmedicated birth is actually a wise decision with SPD, especially if it is severe. With an epi, you're not able to feel if you get into an uncomfortable position that could further aggravate your injury. But without, you would be able to feel and choose an alternate pushing position if you did happen to feel SPD pain during delivery.
    This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm still focused on having a unmedicated birth and this just gives me more reason to do so. I am feeling a lot less pain but I'm no longer exercising or using the stairs. I'm also trying to keep my legs closed when I turn over in bed and get in and out of the car, whatever it is something has made the pain in the backs of my legs go away and it's just really sore in my inner thighs now. I can live with that for a few more weeks!

Glad you have some relief. Hugs
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook