Thread: Another question...

Default Another question...

I feel so needy! I have been pumping and 2-4ozs at a time and pouring it into a bag and freezing it, well now I am running into a problem. The bags add up to either too high or too low. For example, I have a bag of 2ozs and 3ozs and Sean only eats 4ozs, so do I have to dump the rest or can I take out 16ozs worth of bags and divide it into 4oz bottles? Can I combine bags of milk or do we have to keep them separate? My DH combined two 2oz baggies into a bottle today and gave it to Sean so I hope that's okay too... What does everyone else do? Should I start pumping and dividing the bags into 2ozs from here on out or is it fine to just thaw the milk and combine them to make 4oz bottles?

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

Blog Entries

Once you thaw milk you are not supposed to refreeze so as long as you use all the thawed milk you are fine. So, go ahead and thaw 16 oz and make four 4 oz bottles for the day. I never used thawed milk the next day only the same day.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I always stored in 2oz increments to minimize waste. Do you have a deep freezer? I wish I had thought to save some in ice cube increments to use to make cereals, but you'd need a deep freezer to make that worth the while since they don't last THAT long in the regular freezer.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

I don't have a deep freezer. I am reading in a few places I can refreeze the milk, it's was partially thawed in the fridge, I plan on using that milk wednesday, but from now on I will freeze in 1-2oz increments I guess. I usually only pump 3oz total each session though so its tough because I only pump 2 times at work so its only 6ozs at most and he is eating 12 ozs during the day. I just pray I can keep up! Should I try to increase my supply? Anyone know how I can do that?

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

When I was working and pumping for DD, what I pumped one day, she got the next day (usually Tues thru Fri) so she was almost always getting fresh. But when I pumped on Fridays or the weekends, I would combine it (either room temp with room temp or cold with cold) and then at the end of the day when it was all cold, combine it to make her 3 1/2 oz (frozen) bottles that she would use on Mondays. I always had a stash of at least something and when I added the weekends to the new stash, I would use the oldest to send with her on Mondays.

I second that dIviding the 16 oz into the four 4 oz bottles would be fine as long as you know he's going to eat it within he same day.
    Christina(38) DH-Rob(38)DD-Rylee(4) DS-T.J. 11/2/08-Always missing my baby boy. mm/c 04/12 My Triploidy baby - Long, long journey, but truly blessed to have my DD!! Chart-TTC#2 again

If you get 5 oz at one time, put 4 oz of it into a baggie (or whatever you're using) get it cold and then freeze it. The remaining oz can be kept cold till you pump next. Say you get another 5, get that cold and make another 4 oz bottle from that, add the 1 oz left from that to your 1 oz previously left over and do a 2 oz bag. I always had a few that were less than what DD was eating just in case she wanted a bit more. That way I could thaw the little bit out with out having much left over to have to worry about having to toss.
    Christina(38) DH-Rob(38)DD-Rylee(4) DS-T.J. 11/2/08-Always missing my baby boy. mm/c 04/12 My Triploidy baby - Long, long journey, but truly blessed to have my DD!! Chart-TTC#2 again