Thread: Crazy birds...who builds a ground nest in a back yard full of kids?!

Default Crazy birds...who builds a ground nest in a back yard full of kids?!

UPDATE...BABIES!

Apparently Dark-eyed Junco's LOL. They decided to build their nest under our trampoline. It is so tiny and cute!
    I will be taking daily photos and doing a photo journal on my blog...if anyone cares to watch the process with me and the kids
    They are so excited...and so far are keeping their distance like we told them to. Fingers crossed that this has a happy ending.

Last edited by TripMomma; 05-03-2014 at 10:22 PM.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

I did see your pics on fb but I was wondering if you've seen momma bird come back? I bet your kids are enjoying this! We have a pair of ducks and a pair of geese staying around our pond and I really hope we get to see babies. We haven't seen eggs yet, but we've been keeping our distance so far.
    ~Andrea~

Yup, she comes back to sit on the nest within 5 minutes of me leaving the area...and both mom and dad stay near by watching me while I take the pictures LOL. As long as you are not disturbing them more than once a day or every other day they shouldn't abandon the nest.

took me a second to realize that was a penny. So tiny! What a fun experience for the kids. A friend of ours had a humming bird nest in her tree and we got to watch that.

Are they Killdeers? They nest on the ground.
    Last edited by Cricket; 04-22-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Are they Killdeers? They nest on ground.
    That was what we had one year....I have two dogs but kept them away. Some other animal ate the eggs. Killdeers are funny as they pretend to be hurt and hold a wing funny to lure you away from the nest.....but kept changing which wing it was!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

How FUN!

Blog Entries

Neat!!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Thanks guys! These are Dark-eyed Junco's...which are in the sparrow family I think.

We barricaded the area so our dog can't accidentally walk on the nest. The kids seem to understand they need to leave it alone. I hope since our yard is so busy and loud (kids, toys, dog) that other animals will steer clear and we can see these babies all the way through. The trio will be so heartbroken if something happens to them

That is so funny about the Killdeers LOL.

That is so neat!
    Jennifer

That is crazy and cool!

8 days and counting... hope to have some hatching action soon!

We had 3 hatch today!!
    More pics and the story on the blog.

How exciting! And look at the fluff balls!

Have you caught any pictures of the parents? That might be pretty cool to have as part of the documentary as well.

Aww, baby birds! How fun that you are documenting this!
    Jennifer

Thanks guys!
    Yes I got some pretty good close ups of mom a few days ago. They are on the April 28th post on my blog.

That is awesome!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

SO CUTE!!! How fun to watch them grow, great experience for your kids, too.

How's that fourth one looking today?

Sadly...today was not good. Long story is on the blog, short one is a blue jay found the nest and killed one of the 4 babies (the 4th one hatched this morning but I am pretty sure it killed one of the first three to hatch...based on a small size difference) I had to pull the babies because the jay kept trying to come back for the other 3. They are being hand fed...not out of the woods at all, no idea if they will make it

oh no!!

sad to hear about the birds. hope that your able to keep them alive and happy/healthy

we have a not-so-smart bird too... a robin built its nest in the front bushes, about 3 ft off the ground and about 2 ft from the sidewalk where we stand to load/unload our truck. i kept noticing a bird flying away every time we went near the bush and when i finally looked for the nest it was sitting there in an obvious spot. with 2 blue eggs in it. whats bad about it is there is a stray male cat that marks my bush as his own i hope that the cat does not get the eggs or birds when they hatch.