Thread: Low blood sugar/hypoglycemia...anyone else?

Default Low blood sugar/hypoglycemia...anyone else?

I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia years ago (meaning my blood sugar bottoms out 3-4hrs after a meal if I don't eat again). I eat "on schedule" and basically the same things every day to keep it under control, but I had a lot of refined carbs over the weekend and no schedule . Today, I got out of routine because of my appt. I had breakfast and lunch but time got away from me and while I was waiting for dinner I had a hypoglycemic attack . I don't feel hungry, it just hits me: mouth goes numb/can't form words, lose partial vision, shakes, sweats, and weakness...my blood sugar today was 36 . Anyway, feeling better now (drank a powerade and followed it up with fish, rice, and veggies), but exhausted.

Anyone else deal with low blood sugar? It's so frustrating!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Wow, that sounds horrible. I've never dealt with anything like that. But I do try to eat on a schedule because of my tendency toward diabetes.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    Wow, that sounds horrible. I've never dealt with anything like that. But I do try to eat on a schedule because of my tendency toward diabetes.
    I think it's two sides of the same coin . Managing blood sugar can be tough.

My dr who dxed me said quite often those with reactive hypoglycemia go on to have type 2 diabetes so good diet management is very important. Both of my brothers have reactive hypoglycemia too, so there must be some genetic component .

My ob did an A1c today. I'm not sure when they'll do the glucose screening. I've never had gd before so hopefully things won't shift the other direction...I'm feeling pretty confident it won't .

Do you have to be tested more than once during pg because you're more at risk, Dorcas?

I have to be tested twice at least since I had GD with DS. The first glucose test will be around 18 weeks. Yuck. Not looking forward to that.
    Jen (34), DH (36), DS (3), Baby #2 EDD 10/21/14

Lost a loved baby 9/2012

Dorcas and Jen...have either of you had to do anything beyond diet to control your bs during pg? Obviously, my issue is on the other end, but I'm just curious how much dietary changes helped you keep your levels stable . Have either of you seen a dietitian or nutritional counselor?

I'm not sure if there's a link between hypoG and GD...going to have to google it. Maybe I'll talk with my dr about seeing a dietitian this pg. I've been dealing with this for years and it's largely well-controlled by diet as far as I can tell, but maybe there's something I'm not doing or that needs tweaking that a dietitian could help me with .

I just fell sooo crummy for the rest of the day yesterday...I was actually in tears .

Hey Kelly,

Whenever I'm pregnant and do the Gd test, my levels actually come back low. When I was younger and working retail as a teen my schedule was always different and I had a few incidents where I would get woozy, see spots, and start to black out ( but I never fully did) I would get shaky and clammy palms. Normally I could just chug a dr.pepper or coke and feel better in about 15 mins. It probably happened 8-10 times in a 4 year time period. When I started working in the classroom at 19 I had a set eating schedule and started eating much better so it's never happened again. Now that I'm at home and have my kids on a schedule I'm still good. Later in pregnancy, I think around 4-5 months, I get bouts of dizziness if I get up too fast and I know I should be eating or close to. But like I said, my doc is always shocked at my levels from GD testing, I think with Brooke she said she was shocked I could walk into the clinic. It never bothered me though....

Hopefully it won't get worse as you progress.... Has it gotten worse during pregnancy for you?
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(28)DH(39) DSD-(18) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

When I was diagnosed with GD with Simon they wanted me to see a dietitian because that's how they handle all patients diagnosed with GD. However, I had actually already read up A LOT on eating like a diabetic (that's actually how I was able to conceive Elliot, I ate like a diabetic (on the more extreme side) and lost 40lbs) and pretty much already knew what to do. I was SUPER busy with work at the time and didn't have a very supportive boss so I didn't want to take the time to see the dietitian. We made a deal that they'd give me 1-2 weeks using the monitor and if I wasn't controlling it myself I would go see the dietitian. I had no issues controlling it 100% with diet and never had to see the dietitian. I do have some questions that would be helpful to float past a dietitian, but I doubt they'll even offer me the option if I have GD again since I did so well with it the last time.

They've already done my A1c once so far, and it was within limits 5.3 (range is 4.8 - 5.6) so not even in the "increased risk" group (5.7 - 6.4).

No one has mentioned early GD testing for me ... it is one of my questions for my next appointment (4/28).

The only thing that I've noticed is that if I indulge in too much sugar (which is basically anything more than a small serving of something) then it really sets off my inflammation response. I have osteoarthritis in my right hip (need a hip replacement) and too much sugar just makes my hip and right leg hurt SOOOO bad. So I can tell it's bad for my body, but I don't have any typical BS responses.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13

Great news on your A1c Dorcas !!! I got mine back today and I'm just behind you with a 5.2 .

WooHoo!! Yay for us!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13