Thread: omg panicking!

Default omg panicking!

DD1 came home from school with her coat and book bag in a black bag!!! There was a notice saying someone in her class has lice!!!!!!!!!!! One of my biggest fears! I am FREAKING OUT. I made her change all her clothes, shoes, socks even underwear in the garage Now I put a bunch of conditioner and tea tree oil on her hair with a shower cap while she is inside. I am letting her watch TV for a bit and was going to put her in the shower.

WHAT DO I DO???? Supposedly she was checked at school and they said she is clear but I was looking thru her hair outside and I saw a bunch of white dots. It could totally be dandruff I have no idea. I looked online and of course it could look like what I see but I really can't tell.

I am totally panicking
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

OMG Am. It is one thing after another.... I am so sorry, no advice other than breathe....
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    OMG Am. It is one thing after another.... I am so sorry, no advice other than breathe....
    I know! I was thinking, 'why can't I catch a freaking break here'!?

I guess I should calm down knowing that she was checked at school, right? The poor kid. I am making her paranoid.

When Lilliana was 4 years old, she was sent home with a note from her pre-school that said someone had lice, they checked her and she was fine.

Holy hell did I panic. I panicked for over a week. I was convinced that we all had it. I went to the emergency clinic (I was 9 months pregnant) and had them check my hair.

None of us had it.
    Mommy to Lilliana (10/2006) & Summer (10/2011)!

Quote Originally Posted by Lillismom View Post
    When Lilliana was 4 years old, she was sent home with a note from her pre-school that said someone had lice, they checked her and she was fine.

Holy hell did I panic. I panicked for over a week. I was convinced that we all had it. I went to the emergency clinic (I was 9 months pregnant) and had them check my hair.

None of us had it.
    Ok I am glad I am not the only one. I really need to calm down. Of course it's the girl she sits next to in class too!!!

I was happy that the school sent everything home in a plastic bag. It's outside now with all the clothes she was wearing. She is wearing a shower cap in the house for now and will be going into the shower soon.

I guess I will just wash everything in that bag in hot water and dry it on high? Is there more to do with the clothing? I am going to make her use another back back. I am even washing the boots she was wearing!

What about washing her hair? Should I wash it with something special?

I just did everything you did and checked her hair every morning for like two weeks (My poor child) There really is nothing more you can do besides burning the house down and starting from scratch.
    Mommy to Lilliana (10/2006) & Summer (10/2011)!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have gotten about 15 lice notices since my twins started kindergarten (they're most of the way through first grade now), and this year at least one notice every other week for the first month or two. I got them more rarely in preschool. My kids will tell me that the person who sits next to them at the table, or across from them, or on the other side, had lice this week or last week. The room parent reminds us to do lice checks every week in her weekly emails. I don't hide what I'm doing any more. It got to be too difficult to be discreet all the time.

My children have never gotten lice, with all of these exposures. Thankfully. We have had other things that I don't want to talk about. Apparently their short, fine hair helps dissuade the lice from setting up shop (although it's not a dealbreaker), and also the fact that we don't wash it all that much. I've talked to them about not sharing hats. Since the lice notes started coming so frequently, I also started using Fairytales Shampoo, although I haven't found any good studies that show it works. I do like the way it smells.

Wash the hair, dry it on as warm as comfortable and put some hairspray in it as a preventative. The buggers also don't like tea tree or rosemary so if you have some EO, put a few drops in the shampoo or hairspray. If you want to feel better, wash her bag, jacket and bedding in HOT. Washing everything always helps me with the cootie factor
    Lice nits will stick to the hair, they are usually a quarter inch from the root. When you pull the white spots out if they don't come out with a standard comb or nails, consider looking a little closer. Dandruff will fall off when being combed through or move with a good tussle. Lice will stay on the same strand.
    We had one foster daughter who took months to get rid of it. No fun at all.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

Quote Originally Posted by As Is View Post
    Wash the hair, dry it on as warm as comfortable and put some hairspray in it as a preventative. The buggers also don't like tea tree or rosemary so if you have some EO, put a few drops in the shampoo or hairspray. If you want to feel better, wash her bag, jacket and bedding in HOT. Washing everything always helps me with the cootie factor
    Lice nits will stick to the hair, they are usually a quarter inch from the root. When you pull the white spots out if they don't come out with a standard comb or nails, consider looking a little closer. Dandruff will fall off when being combed through or move with a good tussle. Lice will stay on the same strand.
    We had one foster daughter who took months to get rid of it. No fun at all.
    I basically did all this. I washed EVERYTHING she had on and touched including her shoes! I did it on hot. I doused her in tea tree oil. I have a spray I use on them every morning to get rid of static...it's just water and TTO so they always smell like that. It definitely think it was dandruff...the flakes moved around....

Time to scrub DD2 just in case lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lillismom View Post
    I just did everything you did and checked her hair every morning for like two weeks (My poor child) There really is nothing more you can do besides burning the house down and starting from scratch.
    I totally wanted to light the black trash bag and it's contents on fire

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    I have gotten about 15 lice notices since my twins started kindergarten (they're most of the way through first grade now), and this year at least one notice every other week for the first month or two. I got them more rarely in preschool. My kids will tell me that the person who sits next to them at the table, or across from them, or on the other side, had lice this week or last week. The room parent reminds us to do lice checks every week in her weekly emails. I don't hide what I'm doing any more. It got to be too difficult to be discreet all the time.

My children have never gotten lice, with all of these exposures. Thankfully. We have had other things that I don't want to talk about. Apparently their short, fine hair helps dissuade the lice from setting up shop (although it's not a dealbreaker), and also the fact that we don't wash it all that much. I've talked to them about not sharing hats. Since the lice notes started coming so frequently, I also started using Fairytales Shampoo, although I haven't found any good studies that show it works. I do like the way it smells.
    Ok I feel better thanks. I am surprised this is the first notice I have gotten ever!

I feel a lot more confident that all is ok. Her hair is dry and I looked through it and really I don't see anything clinging to the hair and definitely nothing moving. I found a little dry patch which was producing a lot of the little white dots/flakes I was seeing but they always brushed away if I moved them. I also scrubbed DD2 and checked her hair and she was fine as well. I did find a good amount of glitter though

My mom was no help as she said her head was itchy and they stayed at her house last week! I told her it came from DD1's school and today was their first day back since last Friday and she said, "She could have had them the whole week!" Gee thanks for making me feel MORE panicked!!! I have to keep reminding myself she was checked at school and was cleared and nothing from the school came into the house. Well, now they went straight into the wash and I even wiped her books down with a clorox wipe

Hoping I can relax now....

Just reading this thread makes my head itchy Im sure your mom is fine.

We went to see a movie this week and all i could think while i was there was that i could get lice i dont know why since i usually dont think of it. Which made me worry i was having some profitic thought or something So i can imagine how i would panic if in your shoes.

I have made it 19yrs as a mother with no lice. But i found mouse poop in my knife drawer today so my pride is in check.