Thread: Is this a growth spurt?

Default Is this a growth spurt?

My 3.5 year old is going through something strange. She's never been the best sleeper, but three nights in a row last week she slept through in her own bed without waking up. I kind of thought it was too good to be true, and was wondering what she was gearing up for.

Sure enough, this week she's been sleeping so terribly, not even getting close to the minimum amount of sleep she needs. But the weird part is she will wake up and just start talking a blue streak. It's like she's excited to tell me all the thoughts she's been having in her sleep the last few hours. She talks and talks and talks until finally she starts to get a bit sleepy again, then she tosses and turns forever and eventually falls back asleep.

I make sure she goes potty and gets a drink if she needs but in general I try not to get us out of bed. As much as possible, I keep the lights low even when she asks for food and we always get back into bed as quickly as possible.

She does not take naps anymore because if she does she is awake until 11 or later. She is usually happy and energetic during the day, but today it was meltdown city. She seemed overtired but wouldn't nap. And she didn't have tons of candy either. Sometimes I notice if she eats things with red dye she gets crazy, so we avoid that. Other than that, she has no food sensitivities we've found.

I'm just wondering if all this brain and body activity is normal at this age or if I should be talking to her doc. I will give it another week at least and see if we get back to a more regular schedule. In the meantime I am exhausted!

Any insight or advice is appreciated ladies. I'm not even sure what to google here.

sounds like it could be developmental. ds does similar stuff at random too and its usually followed by him starting to show off a new skill.

i am hoping that my dd is gearing up for a developmental milestone. shes not been napping either and is cranky as well from lack of sleep.
    i hope out l/o's get some good sleep soon!

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    sounds like it could be developmental. ds does similar stuff at random too and its usually followed by him starting to show off a new skill.

i am hoping that my dd is gearing up for a developmental milestone. shes not been napping either and is cranky as well from lack of sleep.
    i hope out l/o's get some good sleep soon!
    Thank you for responding. It's good to know I'm not alone here. DD had 2 wakeful chattering periods last night and probably lost about 2 hours total sleep, but was chipper and ready for preschool this morning. It's just so weird, no one tells you about growth spurts so until I remember they are a possibility I always think "What am I doing wrong here?" or, "Is there something wrong with DD?"

i understand. both my kids go thru spurts where sleep is all messed up and i wonder whats going on here?? but then just as fast as the issue arose its gone and everythings back to normal.

right now ds is my problem child... hes stalling as much as he can at bedtime, waking earlier than necessary and not napping. he is so sleep deprived that he melts down over the littlest things and fake crying over everything. but for now there is nothing that i can do to change him. (well nothing i can do thats not a huge battle)
    there is a light at the end of this tunnel though.. he is napping today!

Yay for naps!