Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32

Thread: Appt update :)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,225

    Default Appt update :)

    First of all...a pic of my beautiful Mocha (see the 5 little dots up by the face? Those are fingers, eep, precious!!!!) :
    10wks 2d.jpg

    My appt went great! It was a new patient appt so they went over all the basics and I had my initial b/w done. He adjusted my thyroid dose a little since I'm approaching the 2nd tri and is retesting it in 6wks. He did a nuchal screening while we were there since we were doing an u/s anyway (abdominal, yay, no more vag u/s) and said Mocha's measured perfectly . I have an appt with a genetic counselor on May 1st so I'm going to talk about the quad screen and materniT21 testing at that appt (which he offered to do today, but I'd like to talk to the genetic counselor first).

    Oh and apparently some changes since my last baby was born: I no longer have to pee in a cup every visit and, this is a big one for me, I will go through the regular screening process for gbs and won't be automatically treated with abx. He said even though I had an active infection, as long as baby didn't test + (he didn't) then I start with a clean slate this pg .

    My next appt is May 19th in 4wks. I'll be getting a pelvic, a cervical swab for hpv, and a breast exam at that visit, lol, yay me .

    All of my b/w results will be on the portal (website) in about a week.

    And everyone there was just fantastic...really couldn't have asked for a better first appt !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels






  2. #2

    Default

    Wonderful news!! Love the picture of Mocha!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    Great appointment! So happy!

    Baby looks so good! I love the fingers!
    waiting for our hearts to healBrittany(27)DH(39) DS-Tristan(4) DD-Brooke(3) DS-Preston(1)*my miracles*

    12/05/07 14wks, 10/10/08 9wks, 12/20/13 8wks, 05/06/14 10wks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,910
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Just popping in to say .
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    149

    Default

    what a great baby pic! Grow baby Grow! What is gbs and abx?
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    First of all...a pic of my beautiful Mocha (see the 5 little dots up by the face? Those are fingers, eep, precious!!!!) :
    10wks 2d.jpg

    My appt went great! It was a new patient appt so they went over all the basics and I had my initial b/w done. He adjusted my thyroid dose a little since I'm approaching the 2nd tri and is retesting it in 6wks. He did a nuchal screening while we were there since we were doing an u/s anyway (abdominal, yay, no more vag u/s) and said Mocha's measured perfectly . I have an appt with a genetic counselor on May 1st so I'm going to talk about the quad screen and materniT21 testing at that appt (which he offered to do today, but I'd like to talk to the genetic counselor first).

    Oh and apparently some changes since my last baby was born: I no longer have to pee in a cup every visit and, this is a big one for me, I will go through the regular screening process for gbs and won't be automatically treated with abx. He said even though I had an active infection, as long as baby didn't test + (he didn't) then I start with a clean slate this pg .

    My next appt is May 19th in 4wks. I'll be getting a pelvic, a cervical swab for hpv, and a breast exam at that visit, lol, yay me .

    All of my b/w results will be on the portal (website) in about a week.

    And everyone there was just fantastic...really couldn't have asked for a better first appt !

  6. #6

    Default

    GBS = group b strep and ABX = antibiotics ;)
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Thank you Dorcas! I am still learning all of these abbreviations!
    Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    GBS = group b strep and ABX = antibiotics ;)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,225

    Default

    Thank you ladies !!!

    It feels great to have made the official break from my RE to my OB !!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels






  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    8,612

    Default

    OMG!! So adorable! I am so glad you u/s went so good! Now you get to sit back and enjoy your pg. Baby is here to stay. Are you guys hoping for any specific gender?
    Mariah (35) and DH (40) BFP 8/12/13! Baby Kayla is here! Praying for all the APA girls .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    3,547

    Default

    Aww this is just wonderful, so happy for you!!

    I'm glad they're not putting you on any automatic treatments, that seems so unfair!

    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,135

    Default

    Glad everything is going well!!! At my new OB place, I don't have to pee in a cup every visit either. LOL It's nice!
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariahpoo2 View Post
    OMG!! So adorable! I am so glad you u/s went so good! Now you get to sit back and enjoy your pg. Baby is here to stay. Are you guys hoping for any specific gender?
    We won't find out gender until baby is born, and although another boy would give us 5 girls and 5 boys, I've always had a thing for baby girls...just looooove having little girls (haha, probably because I didn't have any sisters growing up ). So since this is our last baby, I'd kinda sorta love to end with a girl. Besides, I love, love, love our girl name (Evangeline Eleanor) so there is that too. That said...I'll be just as thrilled with a little brother for my youngest ds...I've never had 2 boys in a row so that'd be a fun experience .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels






  13. #13

    Default

    What's the reasoning for not having to pee in a cup each visit? I still have to do it.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13



  14. #14

    Default

    Kelly that's such a sweet pic. So happy for you and all went well.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    What's the reasoning for not having to pee in a cup each visit? I still have to do it.
    My dr today said that recent studies have not shown any benefit to routinely dipping a woman's urine at every appt. He said they do a culture at the beginning of pg and will only do testing after that if there are symptoms indicating a problem .

    He also said they no longer routinely recommend prenatal vitamins. He said women are welcome to take them if they'd like to, but it's not necessary for most women. He said they do still recommend women supplement with folic acid while ttc and during the 1st tri.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels






  16. #16

    Default

    Oh that's really interesting about the prenatal vitamins. I actually haven't been taking any and have been taking folate instead of folic acid because of some studies associating a risk for lip tie and a couple of other things.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13



  17. #17

    Default

    That's great news! What a sweet little bebe you've got there!

  18. #18

    Default

    Yay!!!!!
    So happy and excited for you Kelly! This has to help ease the worry just a little anyway. Thrilled to hear that your appt went perfectly and just look at that BABY in there!!
    ~Andrea~


  19. #19

    Default

    Yay!!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kihei, Hawaii
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Beautyfull picture and great news. I'm very happy for you
    Sabrina [33], DH [33] and our precious shaka-girl


  21. #21

    Default

    Kelly. I haven't been able to stomach prenatals at all this pregnany. I have been able to take a b6 with folic acid at nights every two-3 days.. So I am glad your doc told you this. I have felt bad about the prenatals until today. thanks

    Also...about the pee in cup. My midwife usus that to track dehydration and Pre-eclempsia protines. I'll still do that for this one since I will likely decline the gd screening again.

  22. #22

    Default

    Just wondering the reason behind the on office not doing the per in cup thing..sound like less hassle for sure.

    Oh and yay about the gbs. That's what I was told about gbs too...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    Kelly. I haven't been able to stomach prenatals at all this pregnany. I have been able to take a b6 with folic acid at nights every two-3 days.. So I am glad your doc told you this. I have felt bad about the prenatals until today. thanks

    Also...about the pee in cup. My midwife usus that to track dehydration and Pre-eclempsia protines. I'll still do that for this one since I will likely decline the gd screening again.
    LOL, I told my dr I had been feeling guilty for not taking them and he laughingly said there's a whole list of right things to feel guilty about, but that's not one of them .

    Quote Originally Posted by pants View Post
    Just wondering the reason behind the on office not doing the per in cup thing..sound like less hassle for sure.

    Oh and yay about the gbs. That's what I was told about gbs too...
    My dr just said the most up-to-date studies do not show any benefit to routine urine testing for pg women. He said only if other symptoms develop will they test my urine again.

    I'm assuming that since there are better indicators for things like infection (fever, burning, pain), pre-e (high b/p, rapid weight gain, headaches), gd (abnormal glucose or post-prandial testing), dehydration (rapid pulse, sunken features, poor skin turgor), etc...that screening via dipstick isn't a necessary tool. It's not a bad thing for sure and I'm sure some drs/midwives feel there's still a benefit so they'll continue to test every visit which I think is fine...nothing wrong with being cautious .
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels






  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    My dr just said the most up-to-date studies do not show any benefit to routine urine testing for pg women. He said only if other symptoms develop will they test my urine again. I'm assuming that since there are better indicators for things like infection (fever, burning, pain), pre-e (high b/p, rapid weight gain, headaches), gd (abnormal glucose or post-prandial testing), dehydration (rapid pulse, sunken features, poor skin turgor), etc...that screening via dipstick isn't a necessary tool. It's not a bad thing for sure and I'm sure some drs/midwives feel there's still a benefit so they'll continue to test every visit which I think is fine...nothing wrong with being cautious .
    That would make sense. Its better not to rely on just one dip stick test. ON occasion I'm a slightly dehydrated one part of the day and then better the next. It's best to take the whole picture and look at all indicators. So yeah I see the point.

    Brenda

  25. #25

    Default

    I tested positive for a UTI with DS2 and I was shocked because I had NO symptoms. So I guess that comes to mind when I think about not peeing in the cup. But, I'm sure I would have gotten symptoms as time progressed.
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13



  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mid-Missouri
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Hooray for such a great appointment and a beautiful US!
    Sara: 31, DH: 33. After 19 months of STC, we caught an eggie! #1 is on its way!

    Make a pregnancy ticker

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    I tested positive for a UTI with DS2 and I was shocked because I had NO symptoms. So I guess that comes to mind when I think about not peeing in the cup. But, I'm sure I would have gotten symptoms as time progressed.
    That has happened to few other women I know of too...they had no idea they had an infection, but I'd assume other symptoms would have developed eventually ?

    Oh and I should mention that although they don't routinely recommend prenatal vitamins, my dr said they do encourage pg women to eat red meat (iron) and fish (omegas) weekly in addition to 4 daily servings of dairy (calcium). They actually gave me a pamphlet that assigned points to different types of fish and said it is safe to eat up to 8 points/month.

    Anyway, just wanted to clarify . I think it's great they're encouraging whole foods as a better source of preventing nutritional deficiencies than vitamins.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels






  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    12,636

    Default

    Yay to everything going well! With dd2 and now I was not able to stomach prenatal or any vit supplement. So our bodies know what's right for them.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Oh and I should mention that although they don't routinely recommend prenatal vitamins, my dr said they do encourage pg women to eat red meat (iron) and fish (omegas) weekly in addition to 4 daily servings of dairy (calcium). They actually gave me a pamphlet that assigned points to different types of fish and said it is safe to eat up to 8 points/month.

    Anyway, just wanted to clarify . I think it's great they're encouraging whole foods as a better source of preventing nutritional deficiencies than vitamins.
    That's interesting. I'd be interested in seeing the pamphlet with the points system. Happily I am eating red meat and fish weekly anyway! I am probably not getting in 4 servings of dairy, though ... so I guess I'll have to up my game there. I do cream cheese at breakfast and a yogurt during the day for a snack. Maybe I'll add in a glass of milk, though I'm rather programmed not to because of the sugars in milk. Oy! These dietary issues!
    Dorcas (35) DH (36) 3/13



  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khadijavye View Post
    That's interesting. I'd be interested in seeing the pamphlet with the points system. Happily I am eating red meat and fish weekly anyway! I am probably not getting in 4 servings of dairy, though ... so I guess I'll have to up my game there. I do cream cheese at breakfast and a yogurt during the day for a snack. Maybe I'll add in a glass of milk, though I'm rather programmed not to because of the sugars in milk. Oy! These dietary issues!
    Here's a link to the pamphlet: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...B_354266_7.pdf

    I'm not doing so hot on the dairy front either since it has been making me sick , but hopefully I can get back to it soon

    Eta...and I have to admit I'm really happy to have a good "excuse" to buy myself some lean cut red meat . Dh was with me at my appt when the dr told me so he has actually been reminding me that "the dr said you should eat more red meat"...haha, love it ! We have a local market that sells lean, grass-fed, organic beef...super excited about stocking my freezer
    Last edited by kellyowens; 04-23-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels






Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •