Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erin's on her way to the ER

Default Erin's on her way to the ER

She just can't stop coughing. She's been taking Mucinex D, Delsym, and albuterol breathing treatments, but nothing seems to be helping.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Blog Entries

I hope that they can get things under control.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Blog Entries

Sending positive vibes her way!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Hope she is ok!

They're giving her some medication, although she didn't say what, and keeping her overnight for observation.

Poor thing...KUP, hope she is doing better tomorrow.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

Oh no! I hope she's feeling better soon! Keep us posted!
    Jennifer

Thanks, ladies. It's really troubling because she had started feeling better on Friday, and then got worse again. I was finally starting to feel better Sunday afternoon, but now my fever is back. I just hope we kick this thing soon.

I hope you all get better soon! Have you tried generic Zycam? It might help knock out whatever cold you all have. I've used it before and sometime it can help sometimes it doesn't.

we went thru something similar back in january. fevers on and off, coughing, runny snotty noses, brought both kids to the dr, they both had ear infections, one had a cold and the other strep. dh had flu followed by bronchitis and i had bronchitis

all- in- all it took us 3 weeks, trips to the drs and antibiotics to start kicking it. it was totally gone by the beginning of the 4th week.
    hang in there and i hope its not as long for you guys!

Just talked to her. They said her body just couldn't fight the infection. She's getting fluids and lots of IV antibiotics and they're taking her at some point for a chest X-ray to get a better look at her lungs. She's probably going to be there at least until tomorrow.

Blog Entries

I really hope the antibiotics help and they can help unto the road of recovery.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

How scary! I hope she is doing better with the fluids and antibiotics.
    Me (39) DH (46) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Apparently she was in real trouble at the ER last night. She was sitting waiting to be seen and there was apparently a nurse in the waiting room herself who saw Erin was in trouble and alerted the ER staff. She had gone into respiratory distress, her heart was racing, and her muscles were locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBabe View Post
    Apparently she was in real trouble at the ER last night. She was sitting waiting to be seen and there was apparently a nurse in the waiting room herself who saw Erin was in trouble and alerted the ER staff. She had gone into respiratory distress, her heart was racing, and her muscles were locked up.
    Very scary! I hope the IV works ASAP!

OMG, so scary, hopefully she will be on the mend soon
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

scary. why did the er staff have such an ill patient sitting in the waiting room? had that nurse not been there what would erin have done?
    glad she is getting meds and help to get better. hope she mends fast.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    scary. why did the er staff have such an ill patient sitting in the waiting room? had that nurse not been there what would erin have done?
    glad she is getting meds and help to get better. hope she mends fast.
    I don't know. I guess they didn't realize how sick she was. WE didn't realize how sick she was. The ER doctors, once they saw her, were worried about sepsis. I didn't know you could develop sepsis from the flu, but Laura just now told me she's heard her mother-in-law, who is the head of nursing at the hospital in Abingdon, mention many times this winter of such cases of pneumonia and sepsis developing as complications from flu.
    Last edited by LanceBabe; 04-21-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Goodness! i hope she's feeling better now, and that the rest of you can recover quickly without further incidents like that!

This just gets stranger all the time. DH went to see Erin and find out what's going on. They told him her potassium is low, so she's getting an IV solution with potassium and saline. They're going to do a chest x-ray tomorrow, and if it is clear, she'll be discharged. That makes no sense to me.

I'm so sorry she is going through all of this . Praying she turns a corner soon!

Low potassium is a sign of dehydration which is common following the flu.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Yes, I'm not doubting the low potassium, but surely that doesn't explain everything that's happened.

Severely low potassium can cause respiratory failure and overuse of cough medicines can cause low potassium . I have no idea if that's what's going on, but thought I'd share.

I've had low potassium in the past...not due to cough medicine use, nor was it severe, but I've done some reading on it and remembered there was some kind of connection so I googled it .
    Last edited by kellyowens; 04-21-2014 at 08:02 PM.

Really? I had no idea. She did take cough medicine, but no more than the recommended dose. She has bad lungs to begin with. DH said they told him that when she got to the ER, she had a high white cell count and low potassium and that her immune system was having a hard time fighting off the flu. In spite of all the coughing she was doing, her lungs showed clear on the X-ray that night. If they are still clear tomorrow, she will probably be discharged.
    Last edited by LanceBabe; 04-21-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Poor thing ! I sure hope tomorrow is a better day for her!!

When I was younger my mom was hospitalized for something that sounds EXACTLY like what she's going through. She was barely able to breathe and had to be taken by ambulance, and sure enough her potassium was low. Her lungs weren't perfectly clear but weren't really bad either, nothing emergent, but that low potassium really took her down. I had to take 2 weeks off from school to help take care of her (I was like 10). But with the right meds she did recover just fine, she was 48 and in bad health to begin with so her recovery just took a bit longer. She's in my thoughts and prayers, hoping she recovers soon!
    Dada (27) Mama-Jessie (26) Orion (4) Kadence (2) Osiris (Uterus)

Oh my! I'm sorry she's had to go through all of that! I really hope she's feeling better and able to be discharged soon! Lots of prayers!
    Jennifer

My mother was also hospitalized once for low potasium levels due to dehydration. it happened while i was in highschool, but she still talks about it as a cautionary tale. She was sick for awhile, was very fatigued with muscle pains and irregular heart beat. No lung involvement as far as i remember though.

Its possible the coughing was the flu, but she got dehydrated from not eating and drinking enough and taking decongestants, and felt worse from that and the low potasium levels. Once her electrolytes are balanced her immune system will be able to build back up so she can recover from the flu.

How are you and the kids feeling now? Has DH gotten it at all?

Katie still has moments where she says she doesn't feel good, and you can still hear the congestion in her voice. I'm still fighting cough and head congestion. Nathan has never had more than mild cold symptoms and some irritability, which he still has. If DH is feeling any symptoms, he hasn't let on.

My dr told me the flu this year is just crazy and perfectly healthy people are having unexpected complications and are taking longer to get over it . She also said it started later in the season than average.

I'm so sorry your family is so sick and really praying for better days very soon !!!