Thread: Frustrated... with work.. :(

Angry Frustrated... with work.. :(

Hi Ladies...

Sorry for always venting, it just feels like this is the only place I can "safely" vent.

I've been at my job since 2008. I've always been part time and for the most part that was never an issue as the pay was decent enough or I had additional income with other pt jobs. I started out as the nighttime/weekend receptionist and then in 2009 I attended the school for massage therapy. Midway thru the program my mother passed and I left my admin position but continued with the education. After I had graduated I went on to do massage therapy but they pulled me back in occasionally to fill in, train or do other administrative duties. I loved being apart of the school still. Eventually in Oct of 2011 I decided to go back home to AL for a while and I didn't renew my license but my position at the school was "saved" for me. I ended up returning after about a month and had requested a more permanent schedule. In Jan 2012 I had found out I was pregnant and I asked my director about getting more hours and moving to FT. She told me to write down what my responsibilities were and she'd look it over to see if it could be justified. I did as she requested and I never heard back from that. Then in July when I had my daughter (who was stillborn) I took 2 days off work before I returned. I again brought it up to her that I'd like to be full time. Hoping that come the start of the new year she would make me full time. Again, nothing.

Now, since the end of 2013, the campus director, dir. of education and the program manager for massage have all encouraged me to get my license back so that I can get into the classroom. In Feb., I made the efforts to do that and now my license is displayed with the other instructors. I've even shadowed other instructors and covered the clinic in their absence. I'm also on the schedule over the next month to cover more Saturdays. Tho when I had asked about working this Saturday and her response was that she needed to check my hours bc the last two weeks I was over 30. (I had 31 and 32 hours).

In the last 3 weeks we have had two full time employees leave (one on the admin side and one on the massage side). I've just learned today that the dir. of education offered someone "the massage position". I've seen the schedule and she's already on it and set to be working next month. So.... what has been the point of me getting my license and training if they have had intentions to hire someone else? From a financial and managerial stand point, I don't understand this either... Why hire an additional full time person with X amount of pay and benefits and still have your part time staff at x-$2 pay? When you could just have the part time person become full time for an additional 2 dollars/hr and you get three positions out of them?

Mind you, I've never been written up, talked to or otherwise disciplined. Over all faculty and staff, everyone I work with praises and appreciates me. I have never refused to help nor refused to cover any shift. I am not understanding why I would be passed up for this position. Every time that my director and I are supposed to sit and talk about the transition of things around here, she cancels or is too busy. OH! and with the admin person having left, her responsibilities have shifted to another employee and his duties are being divided being me and the current night time receptionist. Though, she still hasn't talked to me about what additional responsibilities I'll be picking up. I've just taken initiative and picked up what I could do. She's also informed me that in June she'll be hiring a part time admin person to help with filing, data entry and additional flexibility with covering the front desk... that is my exact position at the moment and she's planning on hiring this person 2-3 weeks before I am due. How am I not to feel that she is looking for a replacement?? The last staff member we had go on maternity leave didn't have a job when the leave was up. I have repeatedly let her know that I won't be taking a long leave. I'm estimating 4 weeks. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of time but my husband and I's schedules compliment each others regarding child care and I don't believe I will need more than that amount of time for healing. Like I said, after I had my daughter I took less than a weekend and that was while grieving! I live less than 2 miles from work so if something were to come up I'm not far.

Further more, I am able to write all this out just fine. I have no problems with confronting her professionally and finding out what to expect (if she ever finds the time) but with being pregnant, my default emotion right now is crying. I am not sure how I can have the conversation without turning into a whimpering mess. I'm very upset. I feel a total lack of job security despite what everyone else tells me. I'm constantly told how I can't be replaced and how much they value and appreciate me but that doesn't even matter to me with this new information.

I don't know what to do at this point. The two people that I would need to speak to are out of the office til Friday. but like I said, even if I get the opportunity to speak with them like I would want to, I know that I'm just going to tear up at some point and although, yes, I'm pregnant, I don't feel professional having a meeting while crying. I feel like I wouldn't be taken seriously.

Any advice?
    Me: Heather {28}, DH: Tahee {30}, & Baby Boy: Carter {born July 2, 2014}... makes three

I'm really sorry that you're having a hard time--especially with talking it out. I cry so easily too, even writing things hahaha.

What is the FMLA situation?

You could (though I say this with extreme caution) have a case for pregnancy discrimination. It's so hard to do anything about it/prove it though. There are some non-profits that can assess your case and make a recommendation or it's possible you could find a lawyer to do a free consult for you. The issue is that they are hiring new people to do your job who aren't pregnant, especially since being pregnant doesn't interfere with your or anyone's ability to do this job. I wouldn't get your hopes up on anything coming out of pursuing that route, but it definitely couldn't hurt to get a consult.
    Natalie [31] DH [40] 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!

Does the place you work have a human resources department? Could someone there assist with getting your directors attention possibly? or does your director have any peers you would feel comfortable talking to?

Anna (36), DH (47), Little Man (4), , Little Lady (brand new!)

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe FMLA covers PT workers.

That is a seriously upsetting situation you have going on. Could you possibly role play with your DH or a friend until you get to the point that you're not crying through it? Practicing it will help to desensitize it and hopefully you won't cry when you get to actually speak to the right person.

BUT, if you do cry you can totally turn it into "I love my job so much that I cannot imagine not working here and I'm really worried about losing my position." I wouldn't bring up being pregnant as the cause and try to spin it as positively as you can. ;)
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

That is so frustrating! I'm sorry. I hope it works out.

I love khadijavye's idea! Pretend it has nothing at all to do with pregnancy, you just like the job that much. Hang in there!

Taken from the Department of Labor page:

"Employees are eligible for leave if they have worked for their employer at least 12 months, at least 1,250 hours over the past 12 months, and work at a location where the company employs 50 or more employees within 75 miles. Whether an employee has worked the minimum 1,250 hours of service is determined according to FLSA principles for determining compensable hours or work."

Says nothing about full or part-time, just hours worked.

If you do the math it equals about 24 hours a week, so it's definitely more difficult to meet the requirements if you're part time, but it sounds like the OP's part time is 30 hours a week so she should be fine. But not all companies have FMLA, either.
    Dorcas (36) DH (37) 3/13

Thank you ladies. One thing regarding the FMLA is that this company is rather small. We do have two locations but they are about 135 miles apart. At my location, we have 11 staff and 13 faculty. (give or take a few on either side that might be escaping me at the moment). There is also no real HR dept. We "usually" always just communicate freely with each other. I think that is another thing that's bothering me is just the lack of clear communication at the moment. I had a talk with my dad last night also about it and he thinks I should just approach her (well he said pin her down lol) and just tell her I need to talk to her NOW. I do think the role playing is a good idea for desensitizing the situation for me. I'm going to write down all my bullet points and everything that I want to express and practice it til I can "pin her down". Hopefully, it will take a little bit of the emotion out of it. I just feel like if they are going to have the foresight to plan ahead in my absence (and possible not return) then it's only courteous to offer me the same time frame for me to plan. That's not much to ask for, especially given my history here.
    Me: Heather {28}, DH: Tahee {30}, & Baby Boy: Carter {born July 2, 2014}... makes three

I was concerned about the company size, too bad they don't qualify.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to talk to her really soon!!

Big hugs. I think if you don't feel like confronting, and on top she is sort of avoiding you, you could write an official letter, expressing your concerns and asking her for guarantees. Actually, in writing would be even better, in some ways. I don't know how things in the US work, but that's how I would do it. Also, before you send the letter, have someone read it, like a lawyer friend or someone with knowledge on what language should be used (so she doesn't try to say that you are trying to start a thing out of nothing and being unprofessional!).
    It is a tough one, really. I wish I had more advice for you!
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Thank you all. I am going to try to collect my thoughts on everything and just do my best to remain professional (and not cry!) but I think also I may have typed letter of sorts on hand that clearly states what I might be unable to convey just "for the record" that she can read over or place in my file, however it goes.

Good idea. I hope it works! And if you do cry, know you're not alone. I've done that in a professional setting, too. You can tell them it's because you love your job so much. You can tell yourself it's the hormones!

Keep us updated!