Thread: solids "rules"

Blog Entries

Default solids "rules"

How closely did you follow the typical guidelines for feeding your babies solid foods? DS is eating a couple meals a day now in addition to nursing as much as usual. Last night we were having pancakes and eggs for dinner and I was trying to separate an egg so I could cook the yolk for him but it all got mixed together by accident. I was tempted to just serve it up as is, but it was so late in the day that I didnt' want to chance a reaction overnight so I gave him fruit instead. I have read that if there are no allergies in the family it's not a big deal to serve egg whites before age 1.

I've followed most guidelines with my girls when they were babies, except I'm pretty sure I gave peanut butter to DD2 at 15-18 months...she got into my pb/j sandwich and was fine so small amounts of pb she got after that.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Not at all Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    Not at all Seriously!
    Oops, posted some how.

when they showed interest in eating i fed them off my plate. Real cereals like oatmeal for breakfast. I might have waited a bit between some new foods just to make sure it is easier to narrow it down if there was a reaction. But we have few allergies, so i wasnt very cautious.

We do baby led weaning, so my babies get lots of different foods right off. We don't have a history of food allergies so I am pretty lax. I don't give cow milk until at least a year and hold off on honey until 2. Of course neither of those have to do with allergies. I also tend not to give citrus fruits for a while because they cause really acidic painful diapers.

Also, I just read that children with egg allergies more often react to egg whites. Reacting to the yolk is more rare. I never worried about eggs before, but since you mentioned it, though I would share.

Blog Entries

I have been talking to a couple friends about baby led weaning and think that is a very practical way to feed these little ones! While I am not doing this all-out, I have let him sample some foods right from my plate many times. I am waiting a few days between New foods, but giving him what everyone else is eating is a lot easier than preparing separate foods every meal.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)