Thread: How many times??

Default How many times??

Well I'm 14dpiui so I finally decided to test this morning...BFN...again This just really tears me apart each month. All I ask if for some positive sign that my body is working. Almost 7 years and nothing?! Really?! Now we're $2600 into IUI's and I know the RE said it could take up to 4 IUI attempts, but I just don't know how much more ups and downs I can take. I felt so different this month.
    Tiffany (33) David (33) STC 7 years. Unexplained infertility. History of Endometriosis, Corrected Septate Uterus & possible PCOS. DH=Exceptional

I am so sorry! Is your RE changing your protocol? How many follies are getting each month? Are you doing injectables? I was doing just clomid with the trigger shot and was not having much success but once they added injectables, it seemed to increase my quantity/quality of follicles. Struggling to conceive is so hard and I pray for your success!!
    Four Gulls - Mary

I agree you should change your protocol, one way or another.

Big hugs - I understand exactly how you are feeling.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

He said he didn't want to change anything because I've responded well so far - he doesn't want to overstimulate. I've just been on 2.5mg Letrozole/Femara CD3-7. Mid-cycle US CD13. 1st attempt I had folly big enough so they gave me a trigger shot and IUI next morning. This attempt my follicles weren't quite big enough the Fri morn of US so he had me continue to OPK but 2x a day. I got a positive the night of the US. He had said we could BD so we did that night but then had IUI Sun morning.

I actually started doing acupuncture, too now. I think I am going to check with another doctor at a different clinic, though.
    Tiffany (33) David (33) STC 7 years. Unexplained infertility. History of Endometriosis, Corrected Septate Uterus & possible PCOS. DH=Exceptional

I think adding injectables is a good idea...it does not sound like you're at risk for over-stimming. My RE would not call 1 follie a good response (especially if you're already ovulating on your own) and having no follies ready the 2nd try, but doing an IUI 48hrs later doesn't really make sense to me either . Obviously I'm not a professional, but I would want to do something different if no success after 2 tries on the same stim protocol.

I'd request a low dose (75iu) of an injectable med like gonal-f or follistim and definitely do a trigger...seems like a waste of an IUI otherwise . I have no personal experience with IUI, but I would think I'd seriously rather cancel a cycle than pay for an IUI with no u/s confirmation of 1-3 mature follies ...that would really bug me .

Definitely call your RE and set it up now (if your insurance will cover the injectable meds they may have to get confirmation and sometimes it takes a few days for the pharmacy to get the meds in). He really has no reason to deny the addition of a low dose of the injectables...it usually just requires an extra u/s usually between cd8-10.

I'm so sorry you've struggled for so long...breaks my heart ! Really hoping and praying you find the right protocol soon that brings you your bfp and hh9m !!!

Oh...and do you by any chance know your antral follicle count? It's the amount of follies you start with at your cd3 baseline u/s.

Big hugs Tiffany
    Laura (33) DH (37) x 4

Hello Tiffany,

My heart breaks for you. I know how a long fertility struggle can hurt so bad. Just posted a new thread with my story.
    I am actually in Waukesha. 20 minutes from you. If you ever want to get together for lunch or my number just to vent/ talk. Just let me know. I understand. Sending good thoughts & vibes your way!! Good luck woman & keep your head up...always. Even though it's hard.... Stay positive. Anything can happen!!

- Sara

I understand your frustration. It was our second IUI that got us DS, and the RE had pretty much assumed it was a busted cycle and was preparing us for injectibles. The night before my beta, I had to take a class on giving myself the injections. Lo and behold, got my BFP the next morning.

With this PG, I literally had my IVF consultation two days prior and we were just waiting for my cycle to start to begin IVF meds. Found out two days later we were PG. This one was a complete miracle with no drugs... just a Caribbean cruise and a whole lot of mojitos

Hang in there- your BFP is coming!

Thank you so much, ladies! I'm feeling a lot better already. Just needed my moping day, but still waiting on the AF devil. Now that our weekend is wrapping up I'll finally have chance to talk with DH about what we want to do next. I'm thinking injectables, too.

And Sara I will probably definitely take you up on the offer to meet! It would be fantastic to meet someone near that knows the frustration I'm going through.

What is your protocol? I swear by bumping up in meds every 2 IUI's, monitoring is HUGE, and for me a trigger shot. I always get + OPK's but I had 5 failed IUI's, then I decided to use a trigger and IUI #6 gave me the trio. Timing with IUI is KEY. More than IUI (IVF) is out of the question for us, we would have continued doing them, bumping up in meds along the way, until it worked or we gave up. Pregnancy #2 took 2 IUI's. And so far trying for pregnancy #3 I have had 2 IUI's fail....we have 2 more planned. Good luck!

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Huge hugs for you, hon. I'm so sorry you are struggling, there is no pain quite like infertility. But I am glad you are starting to feel better.

I hope that sharing my story will help, though keep in mind it's kind of on the extreme end, so hopefully you won't go this far. You asked how many times?

For me, I struggled about 2 years before my first IUI, but when I finally did it, it worked. First time, even with female AND male factor IF. Woohoo!!

After we had our miracle, of course I wanted to try again. Gave it a bit of time for my period to come back, then a few months au naturale (but didn't want to waste as much time as the first time), so hopped back in to IUIs.

How many IUIs?? FOURTEEN. I had *14* failed IUIs. The first one worked, first time, and I had *excellent* response to the meds (we're talking, 5 huge follies), so I (and my hubby and doctor) kept thinking "This'll work, no need for the more expensive IVF." One IUI led to another to another to another...

As the other ladies suggested, I changed protocol many times. Even if you seem to respond well, you're not just looking for a response- you're looking for a result. I also dramatically changed my diet and lifestyle before I finally managed to get (and so far, stay) pregnant again.

Anyway, suffice it to say, I know how frustrating, and upsetting, and depressing it can be. Heartache every month. Take breaks when you need, enjoy life as much as you can, and get back on the boat when you're ready.

You never know, this could be your month!!

Hang in there, hugs, and baby dust.

Thank you, ladies, sooo much for the support. It's so comforting to find others that know how it feels. I only have my mom to talk to (it took them 7 years to get pregnant and that was a surprise since they had moved onto adoption) but she is dealing with her own personal problems. I try to talk with DH of course, but a man can only understand so much when they're results have always been really good...and he's still a man I'm actually going to a different DR for our 3rd IUI now as I was starting to feel like we were just being plugged into a system and our procedures weren't as personalized as I believe they should be for something like this...I mean, everyone is different! So I'm ready to start with my new doctor.

But...I'm now on CD37(23dpiui) and still no AF. I've only had dark brown spotting CD35. That's it for cycle symptoms. I've had 33 day cycles before, but this one has been so weird. Maybe annovulation? I got a positive OPK CD13 night. IUI CD15 morning. BD before and after Lots of CM the following weekend. Felt so good about this cycle but I've gotten BFN CD28 and CD34. It's so frustrating. I just want to move on but my body keeps giving me false hope

There has been a lot of praying for strength and understanding. I know I'll make it through this - especially since I found here and you ladies and know I'm not alone in this journey
    Last edited by MrsRiv; 04-21-2014 at 09:47 AM.

I know how frustrating those longer cycles can be. I'm not sure if you posted the details - did you have ultrasound monitoring and a trigger shot, or just OPKs? I do know that it is possible to have a positive OPK and still end up with an anovulatory cycle, unfortunately. I do understand about the false hope - I just never give up until it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I know how frustrating those longer cycles can be. I'm not sure if you posted the details - did you have ultrasound monitoring and a trigger shot, or just OPKs? I do know that it is possible to have a positive OPK and still end up with an anovulatory cycle, unfortunately. I do understand about the false hope - I just never give up until it's over.
    Exactly. That is why monitoring, so you know how many follies you have and their size, and a trigger are so so so helpful...it takes all the guess work out. I would highly suggest you add those two things. I know they are spendy, trigger shot runs me $140 and the ultrasounds are $300 (+/- depending on blood work) or so each (and I usually need 3) but IUI's aren't cheap, especially if you have to do them over and over and over. Best to spend the money and know you are doing all you can to get it right and have a better chance of it working.

I agree, spend the money up front to know the money you are spending on the IUI has a chance of being successful.

And Katrina, your prices are spendy! Mine weren't cheap, but they were less than that. OP, I spent about $90 for the trigger shot and I think it was $135 for the first ultrasound, $95 for the second, and the third was free.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 04-21-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Last edited by kellyh; 04-21-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwenn View Post
    I agree, spend the money up front to know the money you are spending on the IUI has a chance of being successful.

And Katrina, your prices are spendy! Mine weren't cheap, but they were less than that. OP, I spent about $90 for the trigger shot and I think it was $135 for the first ultrasound, $95 for the second, and the third was free.
    Yeah...it is a little crazy. The IUI alone (using frozen sperm) is $455. If I wasn't almost done, I probably would start looking around for a new RE.

WOW! 14 IUI's?! That had to be exhausting. Both my original RE and this new Dr say 4 is the most they really want to do. My new Dr is a little more open to how we feel, though.

I think I've posted pieces of my protocol but here is the complete list:

1st round: Letrozole/Femara CD3-7. I did US CD13 - good size follicles so they did trigger shot (started OPK CD10 but no + yet). IUI the next morning. AF came exactly 14 days later (I can't remember the last time I had a cycle that short)

2nd round: Letrozole/Femara CD3-7. US CD13 again - follicles just a bit too small yet so RE said to start OPK 2x a day (was only doing 1x/day). Got a + that night (CD13). Did IUI CD15 morning. No trigger shot this time around.

Both of those cycles were $1300 each. If I had required more ultrasounds they would be covered as well as the trigger shot. My new dr is $383 for IUI/sperm wash. She doesn't usually do US anymore but I can request it - just pay out of pocket - as well as the trigger shot if I want. She seems more flexible to custom build what would work best for me rather just a package for everyone deal that my RE had.
    Last edited by MrsRiv; 04-21-2014 at 02:44 PM.