Thread: Game of Thrones inspires baby names and more

Default Game of Thrones inspires baby names and more

I am not surprised. Although Khaleesi seems like an odd choice to be the favorite chosen from GoT since it is a title and not her name.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I was about to say the same thing about Khaleesi. A lot of people think it is her name.

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    I am not surprised. Although Khaleesi seems like an odd choice to be the favorite chosen from GoT since it is a title and not her name.
    True but it's pretty!

It's a good thing we are done having babies because I am sure DH would be pushing for Daenerys lol.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I agree, while it's a title, it does sound like a name. I mean things like cities and states have turned into names so why not.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Not knowing *anything* about Game of Thrones I don't even know how to pronounce the names mentioned . So I think for those unfamiliar with the show they will seem very "out there", but if it's meaningful to the parents then why not. I think names have really strayed far enough from the traditional the last couple decades or so that only the most outlandish names are surprising anymore. I really think kids aren't going to grow up having too much trouble with nontraditional names or spellings because it's unlikely they'll be the only one in their class (or workplace as adults) who has to tell people how to pronounce and/or spell their name (ha, my name is Kelly Ann Owens and I'm forever having to spell it...not complaining though since my maiden name was Bierschbach ).

Uncommon names are becoming commonplace which means they'll gradually become more and more socially acceptable. Even if they don't, I remember being envious of kids in my school had "cool" names and felt my name was boring, lol (there were 5 Kelly/Kelli/Kelleys in my grade).
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    True but it's pretty!

It's a good thing we are done having babies because I am sure DH would be pushing for Daenerys lol.
    She is, by far, my favorite character (I am just starting the books so I am going by the show) so I can see how her name or title would be appealing

I've only seen two episodes. (The violence was a little too graphic/stressful for me.) From that, all that i see is the blond hair and her getting raped by her new husband. Maybe i'd have to see more to think something different but unfortunately, that's what would come to mind if i met someone with her name.

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    I've only seen two episodes. (The violence was a little too graphic/stressful for me.) From that, all that i see is the blond hair and her getting raped by her new husband. Maybe i'd have to see more to think something different but unfortunately, that's what would come to mind if i met someone with her name.

Not at all! See more!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Oh yes, she definitely has evolved as a character since then.

You definitely need to see more to see her true character! I agree that the violence can be a lot, and as much as I love the show, it always takes me 3-4 episodes a season to remember who most of the characters are

Her relationship with her husband evolves, too, so yes, if you knew more you might feel differently. However, as far as the show goes, the graphic violence and sex is why I haven't watched it. Ive read the books, but I can choose to skip around things if I feel the need, and the scenes in my head are never as brutal as actually seeing them played out on a hollywood screen that loves to amp those things up anyway.

It doesn't surprise me at all that this name is being used. Didn't we have a thread a while ago about names from The Hunger Games? Call me crazy, but Katniss is a guilty pleasure name for me. I love it, and half hate that the author found it and made it so dang popular making it impossible for me to use now. lol

I actually know someone who is due with a baby girl in a couple of weeks, and she's naming her Khalisi. Spelled a little differently, but still pretty much the same.
    Jennifer