Thread: Hormones, nightsweats and hives

Default Hormones, nightsweats and hives

I know there are several moms on here who have experienced hives either on themselves or their kiddos. I was hoping someone could help me to figure out if that's what I have going on.

This seems to be a hormonal thing for me and my OB hasn't been too helpful with this specific problem. Since having my babies, I'm pretty sure that I'm in perimenopause because I have many of the symptoms. One of them seems to be night sweats with my period. It starts a day or two before AF and lasts until a day or two after. It's awful. I don't even feel hot, I just wake up sweaty and then feel chilly from the sweat and have to change blankets. Well almost every month when this happens, I also get what I believe are hives on my hips where they contact the bed when I lay on my sides. (I'm pretty much only a side-sleeper) It happens on both sides and I definitely feel a lot of sweat right on these spots whan I wake. UGH! It drives me nuts! Anyway, the "hives" or whatever it is forms in raised, puffy red lines (or sometimes just spots) and are very itchy. They clear up if I can manage to leave them alone, but get really bad if I scratch.

So my questions are... does anyone have ideas to try to make the night sweats stop and do hives sometimes form in lines like that?

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by sunkiss; 04-11-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    ~Andrea~

I don't have much experience with it but I would think the night sweats are the problem and the hives are a response to that. Have you tried changing what you wear or your soap or detergent?

I got night sweats SO badly after I had each of my kids so I know that feeling of waking up soaked and cold. Ugh I hated that! It actually just happened recently but mine is pretty random. I don't know if there is any "cure" or meds for night sweats. I would maybe try to prepare for when you think they will happen - like when AF is due or something? Maybe you can take benedryl a few nights during that week and wear light clothes and sleep on a towel or something?
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

i don't have much advice. but i don'y think that the itchy spots are hives. if i don't dry off after getting sweaty i will get the itchy rash like bumps between and under my breasts. i can prevent them by applying antiperspirant deodorant or baby powder.
    when dh is going thru an extremely night sweaty period he will sleep on a towel and sometimes has to switch towels in the middle of the night to stay dry.
    i recommend trying to find a way to keep your hips dry as for me its the hot wet environment that causes the itchy spots. hope you find something that works!

I know there's an over-the-counter thing you can take that supposed to help with the night sweats, but I don't remember what it is. My sister told me about when I was going through it myself. I'll see if I can find out what it was.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Quote Originally Posted by froggie83 View Post
    i don't have much advice. but i don'y think that the itchy spots are hives. if i don't dry off after getting sweaty i will get the itchy rash like bumps between and under my breasts. i can prevent them by applying antiperspirant deodorant or baby powder.
    when dh is going thru an extremely night sweaty period he will sleep on a towel and sometimes has to switch towels in the middle of the night to stay dry.
    i recommend trying to find a way to keep your hips dry as for me its the hot wet environment that causes the itchy spots. hope you find something that works!
    Thanks! I wish I could figure out how to keep dry. I've tried with clothes & without, with a sheet between myself & blanket, with towels in the worst areas, tried a fan and got cold. UGH!! You know, I did want to mention that between the boobs, I've gotten small yeast patches that are similar, but not quite like what I'm dealing with now. My OB said try some Lotrimin on it and sure enough, those itchy spots went away fast. Might be worth trying just in case that's what you are dealing with!

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBabe View Post
    I know there's an over-the-counter thing you can take that supposed to help with the night sweats, but I don't remember what it is. My sister told me about when I was going through it myself. I'll see if I can find out what it was.
    Yes, please! I can't seem to find anything. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I don't have much experience with it but I would think the night sweats are the problem and the hives are a response to that. Have you tried changing what you wear or your soap or detergent?

I got night sweats SO badly after I had each of my kids so I know that feeling of waking up soaked and cold. Ugh I hated that! It actually just happened recently but mine is pretty random. I don't know if there is any "cure" or meds for night sweats. I would maybe try to prepare for when you think they will happen - like when AF is due or something? Maybe you can take benedryl a few nights during that week and wear light clothes and sleep on a towel or something?
    I've tried a lot of different combos of clothing/towels, etc. I even tried moisture-wicking shirts like Under Armor and Clima Lite! I don't really think it's related to the detergent because it most definitely is only happening in relation to my AF. It took me months to finally figure that much out. I haven't tried Benedryl before bed when AF is coming. That's a great idea! Thanks!
    Last edited by sunkiss; 04-11-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
    ~Andrea~

About 7 years back when stocking the shelves at the Dollar General I saw a product called Estroven its suppose to give relief naturally. I don't have personal experience but, its only $5 so.. if you don't like it its not a waste of money but, if you love it- its not expensive.
    *** Lindsay ***

Thank you Lindsay! Definitely worth looking into! I'll check it out.
    ~Andrea~

thanks for the lotrimin tip. hoping i can keep preventing it. but if prevention fails i will definitely try the lotrimin

Oh sheesh, how miserable !!!

Hot flashes are often caused by a sudden drop in estrogen levels or a spike in progesterone levels which gives the impression of low estrogen. I read that eating more soy/soybean products help some women and really felt it helped my hot flashes (stopped taking it while ttc/pg). My mom took black cohosh for awhile (her dr actually recommended it after her hysterectomy) and felt it helped, but had to stop it because of a heart med her dr put her on. She just took what was recommended on the bottle. EPO is considered estrogenic too .

I'm not sure about the rash, but I'd give benadryl a try.

hope you find something that helps soon!!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Thanks, Kelly! I've had a couple friends IRL suggest the soy also and I think I'm going to start there. What is the best/easiest way to ingest soy? I can't say I've ever tried any soy products! Maybe soy milk? I might as well add the little TMI tidbit that my OB said.... She said that she wasn't completely convinced that I'm in peri menopause because I don't have vaginal dryness going on. All my other symptoms seem to point in that direction though. Does that give you any more idea of what I may be lacking or what hormone is out of whack? She actually wants me to start bcp's and I even filled the script last month, but didn't go thru with it yet. I guess it bugs me so much after struggling to have babies and then dh getting a vasectomy... just feels like a slap in the face to take bc after all that. UGH!!
    Last edited by sunkiss; 04-13-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    ~Andrea~

I drink soy milk in my coffee and it is actually really good. I don't drink any milk straight--or use milk in my cereal so I can't comment there.

Quote Originally Posted by sunkiss View Post
    Thanks, Kelly! I've had a couple friends IRL suggest the soy also and I think I'm going to start there. What is the best/easiest way to ingest soy? I can't say I've ever tried any soy products! Maybe soy milk? I might as well add the little TMI tidbit that my OB said.... She said that she wasn't completely convinced that I'm in peri menopause because I don't have vaginal dryness going on. All my other symptoms seem to point in that direction though. Does that give you any more idea of what I may be lacking or what hormone is out of whack? She actually wants me to start bcp's and I even filled the script last month, but didn't go thru with it yet. I guess it bugs me so much after struggling to have babies and then dh getting a vasectomy... just feels like a slap in the face to take bc after all that. UGH!!
    I didn't STC but, I went through h*** and hoops to get my tubes tied with my old gyn and the new one had me start BCPs for heavy period and PCOS I do feel better though I don't need birth control for birth control anymore since I have my tubes tied. She was like "Well... I know you have your tubes tied but, it will really help you feel better with PCOS to be on birth control". For me it holds to be true so it might be helpful for you. I know it might feel like a step backwards but, you might have relief. If it sucks you don't have to take them after the first month.
    *** Lindsay ***

I drank soy milk with soy protein powder (EAS brand) .

I disagree...vag dryness is sign a of post-meno not necessarily peri. I'm definitely in peri based on my hormone levels and I have no issues with vag dryness. I was on bc several years ago and it did stop the hot flashes on a daily basis, but on my off week it was like I made up for lost time and they were really bad...so limiting them to only 3-7 days was better than all month, but some of the other side effects of the bc weren't pleasant either (the 15lb weight gain over the course of the 6months I took them was probably my least fav ).

Is your dr willing to do a cd3 fsh and estradiol?
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Kelly, she said she'd like me to try the bcp first and we'd go from there. I still haven't given in and tried the bcp yet. I just really don't want to, and so I'm being stubborn. I picked up some soy milk to try whan AF is approaching. I'm really hoping that it will make a difference.

I did a ton reasearch with Dr Google and it seems like the closest thing I can find to what I'm getting with these "hive" type things, is possibly called dermographism or dermatographism, or some form of urticaria. It's like my skin reacts to something and feels itchy before any visible sign shows up. When I scratch, (even in my sleep because I try so hard not to scratch when awake) I get raised red lines that look like scratches, and they itch like no other. It's crazy! The good news is, immediately after reading about people's experiences, I took an oral antihistamine med and voila! Just like that, within 15 min the itching stopped and the lines cleared up! As soon as I feel the itchiness start, I take a dose and it seems to control it now! Just wanted to share in case anyone else has something similar going on. I seriously tried every kind of cream, lotion and ointment out there and none of it really helped.
    ~Andrea~