Thread: Birth Control...

Default Birth Control...

I am 4wks PP and wondering about Birth Control... I was on the pill for 7yrs and liked it but with the baby around now I am worried about forgetting a pill or taking it late and just messing it all up. The thing I like about the pill is that I know when my period is coming and I get a period, sounds weird but I like getting one so I know all is good. I am BF so I guess I have to be on the Mini Pill if I did the pill again.

Now I am curious about the Mirena or Paragard. Anyone on this, what have been your experiences? Sounds strange but can DH feel the strings? Do they bother him? Also how rare is it really for them to fall out? How are they placed and can anyone actually feel it inside? DH and I will want another LO in about 5yrs, which the Mirena lasts 5years so about the time I'd be due to have it removed, we would be wanting it gone.

Can anyone else think of anything I should know, what other options do I have?

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

I hated the Mirena but, I don't do well with Progesterone only stuff like that and the shot I had weight gain and mood swings like crazy the only good thing was that James did not notice it whatsoever and I did not ever feel it. I've heard the Paragaurd is better because there isn't any hormones and its safe with breastfeeding.
    If you've had the shot or mini pill without bad side affects you should be okay with the Mirena. Here's a link to Kelly's mom with options for Breastfeeding moms http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../birthcontrol/

with the progesterone only "minipill" you might not have a regular predictible period. So dont include that in you pros for pill. Though i think most say its ok to start the regular pill once breastfeeding is established.

I'm not sure if paraguard or mirena are these for sure but on this poster at my ivf office they have IUDs listed as a cause for female infertility? Is this true? I'd be worried about that with those.

Me - Jess DH - Matt
    September 2013

I think the infertility concerns for the IUDs are perforation of the uterus but I am not sure. There doesn't seem to be a good method that is perfect... The worry with the mini pill is the 3hr deadline, I know I won't make that all the time. I just don't think I would. I know DH seems to like the Mirena tho but ugh, I am so unsure, specially with EBF...

Cait[24] & Gene-Paul[28] Dx with PCOS & Left Tube Blocked Dec. '12
    03/22/13
    Sean Patrick born 3/11/14, 7lbs 13oz

I have the Mirena and so far so good. The risk for preformation is only there during the time of the insertion in 99% of the cases (according to my doctor). My periods have been funky but I have only had it for about 2.5 months so my body is most definitely still adjusting. I am still nursing baby boy but my milk is almost completely gone. Baby boy is also almost 2 so I cannot confidently say Mirena has anything to do with it as he is only nursing here and there and that's probably causing more of my supply issues than anything else.

I did have a Mirena after my DD1 and have had two children after that so it hasn't affected my fertility at all.

I did mini pill after all of mine except for this one...I had my tubes tied.
    Melissa(35)+DH(36) DD1, DD2, DD3, and DS born March 25, 2014 love my angel babies

I have the Paragard and love it. I had it inserted in my GYN's office in 2010. The insertion was uncomfortable, and I had some cramping after, but overall it was just fine. The cramping at first was bad enough that I was going to take some Advil, but by the time I got home to get it, the cramping was gone. I have had someone mention that they felt the strings, but it hasn't ever been a concern of mine. The strings are like fishing wire, so they aren't really poky. I chose the Paragard because it lasts longer (10 years) and doesn't contain hormones. My periods have gotten a little bit longer. I went from a 3-5 day cycle to a 4-5 day cycle, but have had no other changes.