Thread: Baby must haves...help me shop

Default Baby must haves...help me shop

So I'm trying to think of stuff to buy for the baby. Keeps me busy during this very long wait and it spreads out purchases so my DH doesn't freak out. So just wondering what everyone's favorite things for the baby were and what you consider must haves...or just really loved even if it's not a must.

What I have so far: crib and bedding/decor (room is almost done), a bouncy seat, stroller, infant carseat, baby tub and a squishy thing for me to kneel on (comes in handy bathing the dogs too!), pack n play, cloth diapers and wipes, diaper bag, patemm pad (that is nice!). I haven't ordered it yet but I also know what high chair we will get. Oh I also have two sleep sacks....one cotton and one fleece since I don't know the season.

Of course I know we will need clothes but really am waiting on that to see what gender and even more important, what season baby will be whatever sizes in. We have vastly different seasons in WI.

I also know I will need bottles but am waiting on that as well to see if baby has a favorite already when we bring him or her home (baby might be a few weeks old before we can take custody).

My family will be throwing a shower but it will end up being more a meet and greet. I'm going to have them put out the word for things like clothes, toys, books (especially books....we LOVE books in our house )

So what am I missing? I need something to research options and shop for. Stores like babiesrus and buybuybaby are like 2 hours away so I have been mostly amazon shopping.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

A boppy pillow...I know you're not bfing, but it has come in handy in a million and one ways . I even used it while bottle-feeding my nieces/nephews when I babysat for the same reason I used it while bfing...arm support and it snuggles baby nice and close.

The other must have imo is a carrier like a wrap, sling, mei tei, or a soft carrier like an ergo. It really just simplifies life in the first few weeks home with a newborn!

I love my arm's reach co-sleeper, but realize it's not for everyone.

One item I have never used but have heard great things about and plan on getting for this baby is the fisher price rock n' play sleeper.

I don't know what you have for furniture, but if you don't already have one then I recommend getting a really good rocking chair of whatever style you want...I like gliders.

I do not cloth diaper, but I think prefold cloth diapers make *the best* spit up cloths.

Swaddling blankets, but not the teeny tiny receiving blankets that a lot of stores sell...they need to be a bit larger. A swaddler will do the same thing and not come untucked...I have never used one, but have regretted it with every baby, lol. I'm getting the Aden+Anais swaddle wrap for this baby and probably a 4pk of their swaddle blankets.

Those are the things I can think of that I use or would use every day with a newborn.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Really there isn't much left to buy unless you would want to do cloth diapers to build a stash for them. The only other thing is smaller things like pacifiers, bottles, toys, bottle brushes, and baby shampoos/ soaps I am curious to know if you are closer to adopting soon? If it might be within a few months picking out a couple of small things of formula wouldn't hurt they typically have a 2-3 year shelf life.
    *** Lindsay ***

I honestly have no idea. I could get a call tonight and have a baby in a day or two, I could get a call and have be a number of weeks notice (depending on which part of the state, baby might be 5 weeks old before I can bring him/her home) plus birth mom might have 6 weeks to go. I could get a call a year from now. I do know we are one of the longer waiting families.
    I have decided to do cloth diapers and already have like 30 of those and a ton of cloth wipes. It was nice being able to buy a couple a month so no sticker shock.

I didn't think of a boppy! Good idea, I remember my friend loved hers. and I absolutely plan on holding baby for bonding and attachment just like a nursing mom would.

I do have a nice comfortable lazy boy rocker....that is totally my spot. I couldn't live without my lazy boy.

Yeah I definitely not a cosleeper person. I'm really difficult and even my DH and one of the dogs will not sleep with me most of the time. but baby's room is super close to mine and if needed, I also put a twin bed in the nursery right near the crib.

I'm really picky about things like colors so have been mostly been looking for bigger items or things with patterns....smaller things like bottles and paci's I figure I could pick up last minute at walmart or target. Formula, waiting to see if baby is in bridge care first what they use and if it's working I would probably stick with that.

I did add one of those cover things to my amazon car for the infant seat. I figure that baby will still be in that no matter when we get baby....we have really cold and really long winters.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

I would have a big stash of bibs and burp cloths. We went through those at an alarming pace with both DD and DS! I had no less than 3 each in my diaper bag at all times because they would soak through them so quickly. They were both spitter-uppers, and then they continued to come in handy once the uncontrollable teething drool began. I swear DD (who seemed to be far worse than DS) had a bib on 20 out of 24 hours a day!

I am so hopeful that you get that call very, very soon. You have been beyond patient. I keep checking these threads hoping for your wonderful news that I know is on its way!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

It is amazing how many things either one of mine did not like. In general, neither one was a fan of the bouncy seat, rocker, swing, one of them hated the boppy, one of them lived in the ergo, the other one hated it and loved the bjorn. If I were to have another baby, I won't buy anything but a car seat, diapers, some bottles since you will be FF for sure, some clothes and packnplay with some sheets. Once I get a feel for what the baby is like, I will buy more and I will buy it from local listings or craigslist. I am still trying to get rid of my changing table. It is utterly amazing how much money you can spend on things you never need or the baby hates
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Did I ever tell you guys the story about a beautiful expensive crib I got for DS1? It is a funny one. The crib was super nice and DS1 has sensory issues, did not sleep anywhere but on me and close to me. Ha ha. The only way I could get sleep was co-sleeping... Did ever tell you how many times I said before getting married and while PG that people who co-sleep with their children are out of their mind and that I would not do it in a million years
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I was thinking about burp clothes today and looking at amazon trying to see what brands were the best.

I REALLY want to buy clothes but the gender neutral stuff is boring. I have only gotten one sleeper so far because it had puppies on it. I'm a sucker for dogs/puppies. I even did a Snoopy themed room.

I always figured it would take at least two years so mostly just ignored that time. I got a puppy instead when we first started waiting and she was really distracting the 1-2 years.

WI has safe haven laws so we are pretty much at the point where if there was one in our area of the state, we could get the call for placement. I do have one friend who is waiting 4 months longer so she would get the call first and we would be second to get called. So I'm kind of feeling sometime in the next year. I have to say I wouldn't mind being on leave over the winter and just staying and home snuggling sounds nice.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    It is amazing how many things either one of mine did not like. In general, neither one was a fan of the bouncy seat, rocker, swing, one of them hated the boppy, one of them lived in the ergo, the other one hated it and loved the bjorn. If I were to have another baby, I won't buy anything but a car seat, diapers, some bottles since you will be FF for sure, some clothes and packnplay with some sheets. Once I get a feel for what the baby is like, I will buy more and I will buy it from local listings or craigslist. I am still trying to get rid of my changing table. It is utterly amazing how much money you can spend on things you never need or the baby hates
    My DH isn't one for clutter so he's kept me a bit under control. Why we only have one seat thing for the baby and it wasn't too expensive. So no swings and exersaucers and jumpers for now.
    Decided no changing table. I have a twin bed in the room and will just use the very nice patemm pad on that.

Don't think cosleepers are out of their minds...but definitely not safe for me. I'm just really restless and have been known to do things like sleepwalk and sleeptalk. I don't do that often at least.....freaked my DH out since I'm alone most nights (he's a 3rd shifter) but once in the past three years I woke up naked with a towel and my hair was wet. I seemed to have sort of showered in my sleep. And two other times I woke up in a different room...once the office and once the guest room.
    So when I say I will not cosleep it's pretty much a safety thing because of how I am....just in the way one would say that they would never drive without baby being in a proper car seat.
    Versus when I said I would never have a dog in my bed....and both dogs ended up being allowed in the bed. But not until they were big enough and smart enough to not let me squish them. And one of them choses to sleep in the office because I'm a PITA and move around too much. She has NO problem sleeping with DH.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

The one thing I recommend to everyone - NoseFrida. Small, but I haven't seen it available locally, and it will save your life if LO ever gets a cold. Along same lines, a humidifier. During Mira's first two years, it saw nearly daily use, during the cold season.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    The one thing I recommend to everyone - NoseFrida. Small, but I haven't seen it available locally, and it will save your life if LO ever gets a cold. Along same lines, a humidifier. During Mira's first two years, it saw nearly daily use, during the cold season.
    A humidifier is something I totally forgot about and I wish I would have bought when my kids were babies.
    *** Lindsay ***

The one thing that comes to mind is to start building a book collection with books on sale. A child can never have too many books and books can be expensive. However, if you start early and look for sales you can find books in amazing condition for $1 or less.

The other thing is to check out good developmental toys on sale; I am not talking about overstuffing with those but if you find a good toy on sale buy it.

Really, the rest can be done in one shopping trip if you have the money. If they call you that you have to leave now, you can leave now and still have the time for the burp cloths, onesies and the rest. Sorry to sound so unromantic but the amount of money DH and I spent on unnecessary things has taught me this lesson; and we are not alone as there are so many people around us who ended up spending a lot of money on things they did not like or use.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

i second the nose frieda. The one thing I would add is a touch lamp for waking up in the middle of the night. I hated having to turn on the lights to find what I needed. I bought a touch light with 3 dimmer settings and I could just hit it once for enough light to get the baby settled.

i was going to suggest a swing. And some sort of carrier, Moby, Ergo, etc. DH and i are working on getting certified for fostercare (again, last time we were working on it i got pregnant and we never followed though, so wish we had now as it takes about a year) and i have been thinking about what i will keep of DD's and what i would replace i've already gotten rid of.

I will definitely keep the Ergo, and will repurchase or borrow a wrap. A pack and play and crib. swing, which is on loan to someone else, because i like a place up off the ground to put baby down. A handful of baby toys. I narrowed down my cloth diaper stash, i was thinking i would sell the rest but have decided to keep 2 dozen one sized diapers. Im not getting a or keeping a carseat, because they expire even if they arent used, suposedly. we still use the stroller (BOB) and highchair. Depending on the age of the baby

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    We have several local places that sell the nose frieda, but persinally i hated it I am very adept with the bulb syringe, and there is no risk forhyperventilation on my part!

Things I love: Fisher Price Soothing Motions Glider, Sleep Sheep like the full size but "to go" is more practical) A&A Burpy Bibs (I watch for them on Babysteals.com), My Boba 3g carrier (and now that they are bigger my Boba Air), a Ring Sling, Calmoseptine Ointment/cream, Nosefrida, and a video monitor. We had one of the standard ones but now we are getting a Foscam which is more of a security camera model but accessable via phone apps and better picture quality, two way microphone. The trips go nowhere without their muslin blankets. I offered several fabrics but they always went back to them. You can get Bambino Land often on Zulily. com. I love their fitted crib sheets.
    And seconding the book collection. You can never have too many books.
    And even with my recliner, I still used a footstool to rock, it was just mo
    ble for me but I'm also of short stature.

With adopting you might like a Snoedel. Our babies loved ours and I felt better that they had something that smelled like me to bond with while we weren't around. Dh took one and I had two and we would "refresh" the scent while they were feeding. I wore them for the two days leading up to their birth. You could easiliy make them out of an old t-shirt and Styrofoam ball of balled up rags.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

Oh, a baby monitor. Definitely got good use out of mine.

Suja....I put a nose frieda thing in my amazon cart. I think I have a humidifier.....would have to take a look because I haven't needed one for a few years myself.

So for those that mention baby monitor....what was useful about it? That was something I didn't even consider but am wondering if maybe that is because of the house I'm in. I'm in a 1500 sq ft ranch and the nursery is pretty much in the middle....right across from the main bathroom. So I'm walking past the room all the time and my bedroom is just a few steps away.

I do already have some books. I took a children's lit as part of my masters and ended up buying some at that point. DH and I both love books. That is the one part left of the nursery....we were going to go to Ikea for the expedit shelves but found out that they discontinued those and are just waiting for the replacements to get in stock.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

You already have a ton of suggestions here that I would agree with. For the humidifier, I personally wanted to use a cool mist ultra sonic humidifier opposed to the heat ones. They just make me nervous! Might want to pick up a few different types of swaddlers if you see them second hand. It seems like it takes a couple tries to find what the baby likes. We really liked the Miracle Blanket. Both of my boys loved their crib soother thing that's like a little aquarium with fish and plays music/bubbles/lights up. Boppy is absolutely a must-have in my book. So handy for much more than just feeding! We had a video baby monitor that was sooooo handy for this super paranoid momma. I could pan around the room, zoom in to see them breathing and see that all was ok without disturbing them. We used a crapload of bibs during the bottle phase, spit up phase and drooly teething phase. A playmat is really handy as another station for stimulating and play. We loved the Lamaze infant toys a lot too. They are so interesting and my kids loved them, but they are spendy.
    Last edited by sunkiss; 04-10-2014 at 09:05 AM.
    ~Andrea~

Also, I read a few different books about how to keep baby happy and how to soothe them, etc. I found them really helpful. Happiest Baby on the Block and The Baby Whisperer are in my collection. Having been a part of APA and all that we learn here, you will be all set!! I sincerely hope that you don't have much longer to wait!
    ~Andrea~

We have the Happiest Baby DVD in the collection at work. I've heard nothing but great things about it and will definitely be checking it out for DH and I to watch when it's time. Actually I think I watched it many many many years ago when we first got it in but need to see it again.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Baby monitor - especially useful when the kid is sick. Sometimes you only have X seconds to grab baby and put him/her in whatever position best accommodates the puke that's about to come, and hearing the very beginnings of it - super handy. I also used it when she was napping, and I had to go out and get the mail, or just wanted to sit outside and enjoy the weather.

Jennifer, I have a ton of baby books; I'd be happy to send them to you. I need to make more room for the other few hundred books we're getting.

I never used a monitor while they were little but now that they are big enough to play independently in their room and get their feet stuck in the crib, it's nice to be able to look in and see if I need to intervene. If I go in I totally disrupt their play where as sometimes they are just frustrated with what new skill they are trying and fussy. All mine are pukers too. Cough/cry until they throw up but they gag a ton too so again, nice to be able to watch and not have to run everytime.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

Hmmm....might have to rethink the monitor. Though I'm not sure I understand the sitting outside bit....we are either cold or hot and buggy. LOL

I have some new things to research and read reviews of.

And Suja, that would be awesome.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmosmom View Post
    And Suja, that would be awesome.
    You know me, Speedy Suja! You'll probably get them by the time your baby is oh, about 5!

And get used to hot and buggy. I know exactly zero kids that are bothered by hot and/or bugs.

Suja no rush! We know right now that there is plenty of time. I have just been really liking getting a few different things each month to keep busy. Probably a good thing we had the puppy in the first two years to keep me busy or I would be broke by now. LOL

I haven't ever liked hot or bugs...even when I was your kids age, I brought a rag outside in case my hands got dirty. LOL And we get these awful japanese beetles....blech. Well they are worst from around 10am to 2pm and I'm at work at that time anyway.
    Ha, who knows, maybe by the time we do get a kid who can play outside our trees will be finally giving off some shade.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36